Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Replacement FMVs, footage from AC/CC (2017-2-18)  (Read 235053 times)

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
Replacement FMVs for FFVII
« Reply #125 on: 2009-06-04 14:08:39 »
There is no need to convert vids to use TM2.0. It was provided with the install disc to play the proprietary FFVII vids. They could have easily done all the original vids with a more universal codec and format but they wanted to protect there property. Anyone with a good Codec pack like K-Lite should be able to play all these vids without problems. I also suggest always using Aali's custom driver(since everything is allready included). I also have both XP and Vista on my computers and tested these vids on both. Any problems people have encountered using these vids have come down to being a user error, not a problem with the vids or the os.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2009-06-04 17:55:43 »
Any problems people have encountered using these vids have come down to being a user error, not a problem with the vids or the os.
E.X.A.C.T.L.Y! Well said. That's what I was trying to say all along.

They could have easily done all the original vids with a more universal codec and format but they wanted to protect there property.
I'm afraid you are apparently wrong becase:
1. The game is released in 1995, when True Motion 2 (and perhaps Cinepak) was the only viable option. MPEG-1 and Indeo were too computationally heavy back then, especially when it came to rendering 3D images on top of it!
2. A Video For Windows decoder for True Motion 2 is included right on the game CD. By installing FF7 on your computer, your Media Player will be able to decode the movies. If they wanted to employ cryptography as a mean of protection their property, they'd have kept their video format in escrow, only accessible to game's engine.

There is no need to convert vids to use TM2.0.
This one the easier way but has too many drawback and consequences to suffer, not in regard to FF7, but to your other uses of a computer.
Yes, you are BOTH right!  :-D

Anyone with a good Codec pack like K-Lite should be able to play all these vids without problems. I also suggest always using Aali's custom driver(since everything is allready included).
Yes. I'd like to stress that if anyone's video playback is promblematic he or she shouldn't blame it on Aali's driver. It is not involved in decoding. (Perhaps involved in splitting, muxing or rendering but not decoding.)
« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 18:24:12 by FleetCommand »

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #127 on: 2009-06-04 18:14:41 »
fleetcommand, Problematic playback??? The only problem I have on my desktop is an audio sync problem with vids 1280x960 or larger(I can overcome the problem by giving FFVII.exe high priority). That's why I haven't released Blu-ray vids at that size. I released everything else at 960x720 which play smooth without audio sync problems on my desktop. However my laptop has problems playing the HQ vids( They freeze frame-skip and the audio is never in snyc),so I only use the original quality vids on it. If you are wanting to use the larger vids and your system is having problems I recommend you convert them to a smaller size(640x480) so they can play more smoothly.

Oh about the TM2.0 codec. I was just saying what my research had told me. That it was a defunct encoder developed by a third party for FFVII PC and now it is owned by another third party. But hey the net is full of incorrect info.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 2009-06-04 18:22:29 »
^ I said "if". And "you" in my message means general public -- anyone who reads! Not you specifically. But I understand it was a mistake on my part. I'm editing it.

EDIT: Actually, True Motion 2 codec is created by Duck (now On2) but not for Final Fantasy VII. True Motion 2 is successor to True Motion S 1.0, which was a successor to True Motion hardware codec. It was a famous codec back then.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 18:27:42 by FleetCommand »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2009-06-04 19:14:56 »
Yes. I'd like to stress that if anyone's video playback is promblematic he or she shouldn't blame it on Aali's driver. It is not involved in decoding. (Perhaps involved in splitting, muxing or rendering but not decoding.)

Maybe you should get your facts right before dropping a big load of knowledge like that. The driver uses FFmpeg for playing videos, no directshow filter is going to influence that in any way. Demuxing, decoding and rendering is all done by the driver without loading any external components.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2009-06-04 20:30:44 »
You are saying the same thing as I do: Driver doesn't decode. FFmpeg does.

EDIT: Unless perhaps you don't mean the famous FFMpeg which uses libavcodec to decode True Motion 2.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 20:38:44 by FleetCommand »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2009-06-04 20:56:00 »
Sure, but FFmpeg is a part of the driver, so any problems with it should be directed to me AKA blame it on the driver :-P

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #132 on: 2009-06-04 21:34:56 »
ummm......well I sure like the driver. It hasn't done me wrong yet. Plus without it the hq vids are worthless.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2009-06-04 21:35:34 »
EDIT: The word "you" here refers to Aali.
What? You are willing to responsibility for FFmpeg?  :-o Looks like a gesture of good faith to me. But isn't the most you can do is to forward the problem to its developers? Or are you one of the developers? (Sound logical, given what I've seen of your programming abilities.)

Now would you like me to modify my former statement and write "I'd like to stress that if anyone's video playback is promblematic he or she should blame it on Aali's driver because he is willing to take responisibility"? Or has it yet become clear that the second sure-fire method of avoiding the video problems is to become a Codec Genius?
« Last Edit: 2009-06-04 21:37:11 by FleetCommand »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2009-06-04 22:01:42 »
You should tell me about it because the FFmpeg team does not support 3rd party applications in any way shape or form, so they will just shoot you down instantly if you come to them with problems that could be my fault.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2009-06-05 02:57:51 »
Well back on topic.. kinda.  Just bought Advent Children Complete and it looks PHENOMENAL.  Grimmy307, do you have it yet?  I think they also redid the scene with Sephiroth walking through flames... the fire looks different.
Unfortunately, no blu-ray capability on either of my computers  :-(

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2009-06-05 04:45:27 »
The hair in ACC looks all aliased. Other than that, yes, it looks PHENOMENAL. Or maybe PHEREMONAL.

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #137 on: 2009-06-05 14:16:33 »
Obesebear, I do have ACC. Every  remade scene was remade again. When seph is in flames you can actually see the rubble in the fire.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2009-06-05 23:28:02 »
Yeah I was kind of afraid they were just releasing it to make more money but they obviously took a lot of time redoing a lot of scenes.  I was hoping to help with remaking the vids you uploaded, but like I said, no blu-ray on my computer  :cry:

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #139 on: 2009-06-05 23:36:49 »
ACC is totally the sh!t on blu-ray. I will do new cuts from that source soon, but I won't start for at least two weeks. I  am pretty consumed with prp right now and want to make a few more models before I get back into editing.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2009-06-06 00:53:47 »
Is ACC Blu-Ray exclusive, or is there a DVD version also? Not a huge issue to me, since I have a PS3, but it'd suck if people who don't have blu-ray players couldn't watch this cut.

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2009-06-07 03:05:53 »
Is ACC Blu-Ray exclusive, or is there a DVD version also? Not a huge issue to me, since I have a PS3, but it'd suck if people who don't have blu-ray players couldn't watch this cut.

From what i've seen and heard, it's only coming out on Blue-ray.

However.. I've also heard and seen that if people download a torrent or something, you can convert/watch it on a video player. Possibly burn it onto a DVD-Disc if you want (if conversion is possible)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2009-06-07 07:44:30 »
From what I hear, it has a totally different story and a totally ending that is far inferior to that of the original Advent Children. Is this true?

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #143 on: 2009-06-07 14:57:15 »
No the story isn't totally different. It's Like the directors cut of AC. All the missing story pieces have been put back. The ending is pretty much the same just allot better. It is a great movie that makes watching the original kinda pointless.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2009-06-07 15:24:35 »
There's a bunch of short scenes (1-2 min) added, most of them about Denzel and Marlene. The last fight scene has a bunch of new shots, and ends completely differently, but the movie itself ends mostly the same after that fight.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2009-06-07 18:29:56 »
Whoa! It was all untrue!

Sometimes I can't believe how some people are capable of lying. You see, I was told a convincing story that the fight between Cloud and Sephiroth is totally different and ends differently; and that Cloud is killed but Aerith revives him in her church and then phones(!) everyone to come and see her power! I'm told that 30 minutes footage is added!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2009-06-07 20:00:32 »
30 minutes is about right.  And if I'm not mistaken, they also took the time to add english lip sync'ing to the new clips as well.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2009-06-07 20:25:59 »
I hope they also fixed the captioning for the undubbed version. Cait Sith basically speaks gibberish in the original captions.

Grimmy

• View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #148 on: 2009-06-07 20:27:04 »
Fleetcommand I don't think you were lied to that sounds kinda right. They added some to the end of Cloud and Sephs fight, but it isn't totally changed. Cloud still dies exactly like before. Then they add a scene of people getting a phone call to go to the church. Cloud is revived as before and the movie ends.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2009-06-10 11:15:55 »
(Hurrah! I can once again access this forum!)
Fleetcommand I don't think you were lied to that sounds kinda right. They added some to the end of Cloud and Sephs fight, but it isn't totally changed. Cloud still dies exactly like before. Then they add a scene of people getting a phone call to go to the church. Cloud is revived as before and the movie ends.
What? Have we actually seen the same AC? In the AC that I watched, (Japanese, DVD, Region 2), Cloud didn't die at all.