Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 179908 times)

Mako

• View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #50 on: 2009-12-30 17:53:47 »
So there is no other way? would ripping the background files of the psx version work? or using some advance filtering, there has to be another way sorry for the newb post. But I honestly think that the blurry backgrounds are the only thing holding the PC version back.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009-12-30 18:37:45 »
Ripping the PSX backgrounds has been suggested before, but the results were disappointing. The PSX backgrounds are actually no better than the PC ones (you can see this if you play the game on an emulator). The reason they look better is because televisions tend to smooth out the pixelation better than computers do.

V95

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-01-01 08:33:48 »
A very promising project it is.

Also, have a Happy New Year 2010! (:

makina323

« Reply #53 on: 2010-01-04 02:42:08 »
Well you could always redo them in 2d..  as matte paintings. Takes some serious talent but hell its worth a try

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010-01-04 11:11:35 »
Ripping the PSX backgrounds has been suggested before, but the results were disappointing. The PSX backgrounds are actually no better than the PC ones (you can see this if you play the game on an emulator). The reason they look better is because televisions tend to smooth out the pixelation better than computers do.
Is there anyway to put in similar software that the tv uses in aali's driver?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-01-04 15:51:59 »

You could just run a filter on the video files for the same effect. But it doesnt look pretty

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-01-07 10:56:21 »

You could just run a filter on the video files for the same effect. But it doesnt look pretty

Well were almost there I am currently reading up on how to code my own openGL shader plugin. Having some success (Making it more blurry) BUT its some thing right...I'll get it I am very tenacious.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010-01-19 20:25:53 »
Sorry for the shameless double post but I've been messing around with skechup myself and I can't seem to get the geometry right every scene is a bit off has anyone found a good way to line that up?

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #58 on: 2010-01-19 20:41:16 »
It's the thing that puts me off spending time on this project time and time again. What'll happen is, I get it almost accurate, then try to draw along some axis, and it's just completely off. When i finally fix it, the rest of the scene looks weird, and by the time I come to adding another angle, I'm too sick and tired of messing about with sketchup to bother continuing. The fact is, there's no 100% accurate way to get it right. There is a trick, however. just makes the lines as long as possible, and fit them over the entire axis reference line on the picture.

Oh, also, walkmeshes do help. A LOT. Because you know that they're exactly the right scale for the BG images. I've got junon perfectly matched up now, I think.
I'd say Crisis core maps would be a BIG help if we could get our hands on 'em, too. I have a few, but none of any use really.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-01-19 22:07:07 »
Wow at the pace I'm moving with this I could redraw the whole backround (if I was that good) I wish there was another program to use to render these backrounds in 3D.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #60 on: 2010-01-19 22:29:46 »
Are you at all interested in helping me out with these? All you'd have to provide are some basic references (I just need blocks and lines really) and I can do the rest in 3DSmax. It'd really be appreciated.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2010-01-19 22:34:48 »
Sure I do have to warn you thou I'm not very good I'm still new at skechup. Just tell me the scene and I will try.

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #62 on: 2010-01-19 23:47:41 »
uh, do whatever you want, it doesn't bother me. I just need to practise doing anything I can in max, since I've never actually gotten that far. Maybe make it a square-ish one to start, just so it's not too difficult to do.

EDIT: I'm even more excited than I thought I'd be :P I finally have a little help with this project!
« Last Edit: 2010-01-19 23:54:17 by NeoCloudstrife »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2010-01-20 00:18:47 »
uh, do whatever you want, it doesn't bother me. I just need to practise doing anything I can in max, since I've never actually gotten that far. Maybe make it a square-ish one to start, just so it's not too difficult to do.

EDIT: I'm even more excited than I thought I'd be :P I finally have a little help with this project!

Got it! all send you over some soon.

EDIT:How am I doing do I need to change the way I photomatch?

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/Mako_07/Untitled-1.png

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/Mako_07/Untitled2.png
« Last Edit: 2010-01-20 06:04:22 by Mako »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2010-01-20 06:51:30 »
My sincere thanks to Mako and NeoCloudstrife for joining forces!  :wink:

Keep it up!

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #65 on: 2010-01-20 15:08:50 »

Got it! all send you over some soon.

EDIT:How am I doing do I need to change the way I photomatch?

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/Mako_07/Untitled-1.png

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae246/Mako_07/Untitled2.png

Nope, they're perfect. Don't need the stuff on the right hand side though, since i'll model the train seperately some time.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2010-01-20 15:49:37 »
Ok I'll post a link soon do you just want the skechup file correct? Also I'm at work so unless I have another background pic I won't be able to make any progress until tonight.

EDIT: Also what is a good free file hosting site?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-20 16:19:35 by Mako »

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #67 on: 2010-01-20 16:19:35 »
Megaupload or mediafire is good. And yeah, sketchup file's fine.

Also I'm at work so unless I have another background pic I won't be able to make any progress until tonight.

Chill out there, This project's been alive for a good while now, and progress is next to nowhere. I'm sure I can handle a few hours of waiting  :lol:. Just do whatever you can, whenever you can.   :wink:

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2010-01-20 17:12:12 »
Here you go glad I could be of some help> :-) I will get better with more practice also feel free to offer any suggestions.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FZYXYAC7

EDIT: Second try with a little cleaner image plus step's

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HXUYKQLE
« Last Edit: 2010-01-20 18:40:19 by Mako »

m35

• View Profile
    • jPSXdec
« Reply #69 on: 2010-01-22 16:08:50 »
I'm curious if any of you fine fellows have seen this

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/dhoiem/projects/popup/

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2010-01-22 16:25:56 »
No I haven't tried that program yet looks promising I'll try it when I get home. Hey Neo how goes it any progress?

BlitzNCS

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #71 on: 2010-01-22 16:58:06 »
Not much, but more recently I have been doing stuff. I think I might save midgar for near the end, actually, reconstructing the entire city is going to be a mammoth job. I've been Doing part of Junon, actually. Currently modelling the buildings (shops etc.). I'm modelling at quite a high poly count, so it might take a while. so far I've got the door and bottom window done, the rest should only take me a day or so, and I can just copy stuff when I'm done, so it won't take too long after that. That's if I'm not being lazy though, which I probably will be.  But perhaps soon we'll have the first remade, usable background!

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2010-01-22 17:51:58 »
Hmmm it seems I misunderstood how this process works I thought we were just using photomatch to render the scene's in 3D...It sound like your trying to model the whole scene from scratch into 3D. Maybe you could explain the process and steps you are using to complete a scene so I may be of some help. 

Xenobond

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio Site
« Reply #73 on: 2010-01-22 20:11:49 »
You can get far better results by building out the scene in 3d with proper materials and lighting.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2010-01-22 20:14:56 »
our main concern was lining everything up right, how did you go about keeping everything properly positioned?