Author Topic: FFVII: Changing Weapon Damage formulas  (Read 19263 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FFVII: Changing Weapon Damage formulas
« Reply #25 on: 2012-11-14 14:25:22 »
you can't really make new damage formulas
you can only assign one of the existing ones to attacks/weapons/items

YOU may not be able to......

Making a new damage formula is tricky. There's a lot involved, but there are a few slots of unused base damage functions in the secondary formulae (X2 - X7) to squeeze in a few other damage types. The unused 7X damage base could be used for magical attacks and the 6X could be used for physical attacks. The only problem is actually writing the function. It's not hard if you know x86 asm, but would require knowledge of memory addresses like weapon strengths and armor values and such. I know where most of that is so I could get someone started on working a new damage formula by supplying those address and a suitable sized chunk of unused code.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 2012-11-14 14:55:19 »

Making a new damage formula is tricky. There's a lot involved, but there are a few slots of unused base damage functions in the secondary formulae (X2 - X7) to squeeze in a few other damage types. The unused 7X damage base could be used for magical attacks and the 6X could be used for physical attacks. The only problem is actually writing the function. It's not hard if you know x86 asm, but would require knowledge of memory addresses like weapon strengths and armor values and such. I know where most of that is so I could get someone started on working a new damage formula by supplying those address and a suitable sized chunk of unused code.

Do I really need to write everytime "It's possible but not propable without some effort from some specific people in the forum" instead of "you can't do it"? It has the same end result, most of the time

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-11-14 15:09:25 »

that would be awesome. how many of those unused spaces are available?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #28 on: 2012-11-14 15:35:19 »
Do I really need to write everytime "It's possible but not propable without some effort from some specific people in the forum" instead of "you can't do it"? It has the same end result, most of the time

"You can't do it" is too definite. It's possible in the context of the question this guy's asking. He's wanting to know how to do it by altering the exe which IS possible.

that would be awesome. how many of those unused spaces are available?

Basically just the ones I mentioned. X2 - X7 of the secondary formulae.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-11-14 15:43:29 »
that means 5. still good. thanks!

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 2012-11-14 15:44:44 »
X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7 makes 6
balancing new damage formulas will be an absolute nightmare

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-11-14 15:57:11 »
not if they are similar to existing ones.
for example, I am thinking of one same to yuffie's conformer but that inflict magic damage, rather than physical

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #32 on: 2012-11-14 21:34:11 »
not if they are similar to existing ones.
for example, I am thinking of one same to yuffie's conformer but that inflict magic damage, rather than physical

To do that you'd have to create a new upper nybble consideration function which is more complicated. The game could use a magical version of those multipliers for overall balance, yes? Without further modification, it'd be forced to use damage formula X1, but that could always be re-handled.

Based on the existing formulae, here's what's possible:

Code: [Select]
Damage                  Physical  Magical
Standard                 yes       yes
Special                  yes       yes (albeit unused)
Standard w/Multipliers   kinda     no
Special w/Multipliers    no        no

The multipliers would only multiply damage done by the special formulae which could make them less predictable. Only multipliers 0, 1, and 2 would have any effect, but then the results like MHP - HP wouldn't be as exact anymore. We could probably do without that whole category.

Standard w/Multipliers defaults to standard formula X1. It can be forcibly changed to use one of the others, but it's still universal to the multipliers category.