Author Topic: Problem with window.bin  (Read 5483 times)

vayneruel

• View Profile
Problem with window.bin
« on: 2012-05-27 11:40:32 »
Hi people, I have a problem with the file Window.BIN. I decompressed with gzip, I extract the picture tim and  modify this, after I have reinserted, but the game does not work, it freezes after the text "Sony Computer Entertainment."
How I can modify this file?
The steps I followed:
1 extract the file WINDOW.BIN
2 cut the first bytes of the file
3 decompress with gzip
4  extract the image tim and modify
5 reinsert the image tim
6 compressed with gzip
7 paste the cut bytes previously
8 the game crash
Hope you can help me, thank you all.Sorry for my bad english.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Problem with window.bin
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-27 13:20:43 »
Has the size of the file changed at all? Most files are read by giving the machine the file's starting location (LBA) and length (bytes). Anything beyond that length will get truncated unless you modify the filesize specified in the call.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-27 13:31:19 »
Where is the call? (Know little about how PS works)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-27 20:55:30 »
Probably the YAMADA.BIN or the kernel (not the KERNEL.BIN). You could probably find the call with a naive search through the ISO for the LBA followed by size. Pretty sure they're in little-endian format.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-27 21:40:44 »
Why does it use LBA and not file name?  And are all PS games like that?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-28 00:04:55 »
The PSOne doesn't seek files by name. In fact, in later PSOne games, filenames get stripped altogether. Consider VIII or IX - they both just create a big binary blob and flag the whole lot as a directory.

Think about it. If the executable listed filenames, the console would have to seek the file every time a resource was called. On a CD-ROM, that would be immensely slow. Direct block addresses are much faster.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-28 00:06:26 by Bosola »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-28 08:40:43 »
Why does it use LBA and not file name?  And are all PS games like that?
I don't think all PS games are like that (although i only know this in emulators, it may be different if playing on a actual PS) I have altered a few games files in the past like with parasite eve (also made by square) in parasite eve if you copy all of disc2's files to disc1 to can make it so that it doesn't ask for disc change (i did this to get around disc change since the emulator i was using at the time didn't work with parasite eve's disc swap, this isn't a problem now but it was back when i did it) so when you get to the part where it usually asks for disc change the game just carries on without even asking for disc2. i have done similar things to a few others games (like switching out language files in a couple of games) but like i say i have only tested these on emulators not on my original PS (because my original PS is now broke but even before that it wasn't chipped/modified so i wouldn't have been able to have tested backups on it anyway)

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-28 09:02:11 »
Think about it. If the executable listed filenames, the console would have to seek the file every time a resource was called. On a CD-ROM, that would be immensely slow. Direct block addresses are much faster.
That's quite far for the real reason why some games don't use TOC filenames (libraries would still cache TOC data in order to locate files in an efficient manner, so it's not a matter of speed). PlayStation games do so because libcd is bugged and cannot access directory records longer than one sector, causing all the data in the extended sectors to be totally invisible to the system. With direct LBA+size references you can overcome this limitation and access very large directory records.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-28 09:04:30 by Gemini »

vayneruel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-28 11:34:16 »
The file size is reduced, when decompress with Gzip I get a warning: "garbage ignored." Then I reinserted using the CD-Mage, who patched the file with 0 to get the original size.
The file does not increase in size, on the contrary, is decrease.
Thanks for the replies.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-28 13:11:10 »
Do yourself a favor: download this program, go under the Tools menu and select "Manage window.bin".
« Last Edit: 2012-05-29 11:25:26 by Gemini »

vayneruel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-05-29 11:04:04 »
Thanks for the reply Gemini, i will prove.
Edit:I have another question: how I can change the letters HP main menu? It can be done by modifying the patymenu.mnu with a hex editor?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-29 22:03:36 by vayneruel »