Author Topic: The Telpostone  (Read 3159 times)

nmn132

• View Profile
The Telpostone
« on: 2012-11-25 19:38:05 »
While browsing through the field messages, I noticed something odd in map 539:

Recieved "Telpostone"!

Sounds like a teleport stone. Maybe it was intended to warp the party to any town or perhaps even any save point. Or perhaps it worked like the older FF games EXIT magic; warping the party out of a dungeon. This probably had major story interruption issues and was probably why it was discontinued.

I'm just wondering if there was a way to make an item like this, except it can only be used in certain locations. Just like how the SAVE CRYSTAL can only be used in the crater. It could perhaps be used to warp the party out of the crater, but it could only be used at a save point, so the story isn't interrupted.

A really cool use could be to warp the party to one of the unused rooms and call a shop. This would be like a mobile shop that could be accessed only at save points or other safe areas.

What do you think?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: The Telpostone
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-25 20:11:41 »
It is never used in game but yes it is definitely Telpostone (or Teleport Stone if you want) and an item probably intended to work like it does in previous FF games.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-25 22:53:02 »
its not overly difficult to add it as a keyitem and then make a script run in every dungeon that, if used in field ( lets say, you press square, it pops a message box and asks you if you want to escape with a yes / no question ) moves you to the entrance of the dungeon ( or even one of the entrances )
since this is potentially game breaking in places, I'd include a set of set bits that are checked if you're allowed to teleport out of this dungeon yet or at this time.
its also possible to make this work in towns and let you visit every town you were at before and you have currently access to ( lets say, no fort condor or junon after you arrive in costa de sol until you get the buggy )
if its worth the effort is a completely different issue

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2012-11-26 01:29:45 »
...since this is potentially game breaking in places...
if its worth the effort is a completely different issue

For these reasons it was probably removed. I can't think of one "dungeon" that I would think I would want to teleport out of. Temple of the Ancients, maybe. Nothing else is really so long to get through with the exceptions of Gaea's Cliff and North Crater. So I wouldn't feel such an item would be worth it for three out of all the locations in the game.