Author Topic: mod suggestion: mobile trabia garden  (Read 6804 times)

andreasaspenberg

• View Profile
mod suggestion: mobile trabia garden
« on: 2013-08-06 19:20:55 »
the pc version of final fantasy 8 stores enough data on the harddrive to access events on a different cd that what they are on. i have also played with a mobile balamb garden on cd 1. it should therefore be possible to add new models without having to install the cds. my speciality is text writing so i can write the dialogue.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: mod suggestion: mobile trabia garden
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-06 22:21:50 »
I would lie if I put "not to be an ass" up here so I won't.
But I'll take some of that wind out of your sails
First of all, you'd have to find exactly where the models are stored, then how they are accessed on the world map, make a new model, inject it, make the game recognize it, eiter replace an existing entry and change how it's used, clone the balamb garden mobile functions, and so on

andreasaspenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-17 22:09:05 »
i already know where the models are stored. field models is stored in the field.fs file, battle models are stored in the battle.fs file.(that includes backgrounds.) some world data is stored in the world.fs file. encounters for the field can be configured in the field.fs file. (each zone can be configured separately. as a test i tried to create random encounters in trabia garden and that worked perfectly.) there is a tool named deling that enables stuff to be imported and it also functions as a complete editor of the final fantasy 8 core data. dialogue is what i am good at though. i will keep studying the final fantasy 8 files though to find out what i dont already know. i dont however need to add any new characters nor is that supported at the moment. i still want nida to be the pilot. scripts is found in the files mentioned earlier.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-18 09:31:02 »
Mobile Trabia Garden would completely change the storyline though. and I really mean completely.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-18 11:12:09 »
If that's possible, it would be a nice addition to the game!

andreasaspenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-18 17:43:34 »
my intention is to make it possible to donate to trabia garden(with selphie in the team. right after the event) in order for it to be repaired then make it mobile when it is repaired. in a way similar to the repairs done in chrono trigger if you have played that. in other words add a sub-quest to the game. i am still studying the files and i found several unused model slots in trabia garden. i have decent skills at leading projects and this isnt my first mod project at all. i have been working on a roleplaying game of my own as well.(that is where i got experience with writing dialogue.)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-18 18:47:20 »
finally a use for the 15 billion gil I never spent.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-18 18:54:42 »
I am sure there exists no model of Trabia Garden where it is not in ruin. If you cheat your way to Trabia at the beginning of the game, you will, more than likely, see the destroyed garden on the world map. It'll probably crash if you try to enter but are on CD1 (unless you use the PC version and did a full install).

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-18 19:54:40 »
Mobile Trabia Garden would completely change the storyline though. and I really mean completely.

It couldn't make it any worse.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-18 20:13:46 »
It couldn't make it any worse.
I dunno, the story was pretty good in the first disc, before it completely fell apart. As long as all changes are from disc 2 onward, it can only be better though.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-18 22:35:44 »
That's because Squall is dead.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-18 23:08:05 »
That's because Squall is dead.
That theory is the only thing worse than the game's story... The story is lousy, but at least it's consistent. That theory has some pretty severe holes in it.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-18 23:30:04 »
I dunno, the story was pretty good in the first disc, before it completely fell apart. As long as all changes are from disc 2 onward, it can only be better though.

Hmm, true. I do have fond memories of those first few hours.

Makes me want to play VIII again, actually.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #13 on: 2013-08-19 01:05:06 »
Squaresoft has already confirmed "Squall is dead" theory is wrong.