Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3025070 times)

insidious611

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R01)
« Reply #575 on: 2014-09-28 07:46:23 »
I have a question regarding the Beacause translation for DLPB:

I'm sure you get questions like this all the time, and I'm sorry for bothering you about it, but I want to know the history behind a certain line. In the original translation of FF7, Cid says "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA!" whereas you have something more along the lines of "Sit down in that chair and shut up". Wondering why that choice, whether the "drink your goddamn tea" bit has any root in the Japanese or was just added by the translators, etc?

Only asking because that had become such an iconic line for me. :P I don't mind it not being in there, just curious.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for bugging you.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 2014-09-28 08:09:24 »
It may have been removed, because Sierra has not made the tea yet.  Cid comes back in later and asks why the tea has still not been made. I suppose the sentence can be rearranged to keep the line mostly intact, because I also like it.  The Japanese will be a lot more literal when directly translated.  Probably something like

"Stop mumbling. Sit down in that chair and be quiet".

Direct translations aren't going to help you here, sadly...  it's the localizer who has to provide the feel that was  intended.  I don't think Cid mentions drinking tea in the original Japanese.

Also, that isn't bugging me..  it's a constructive question.

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 2014-10-01 14:08:22 »
Hi, I tried about an hour of your retranslation and now I want to never see the original translation anymore. Fantastic job!

I just wanted to ask if there's anybody here who has managed to install both the beacause retranslation and the New Threat Mod by Sega Chief.
I'd like to make a playthrough with both mods, but I can't get them to work together...
If I install beacause first, I think the NT mod overwrites it; if I install the NT mod first, the retranslation doesn't install properly (I guess it can't edit the files since they have already been edited...?).

I already posted on the NT thread, I hope this doesn't count as double posting.

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #578 on: 2014-10-01 15:28:13 »
This can only be done with 7H. Actually I think it already has with the Final Heaven Catalog.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 2014-10-01 16:20:47 »
Also, the next release R02 is the final one and makes a lot of necessary changes.  So the next release is even better.

anonynamja

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 2014-10-04 06:34:25 »
Thanks DLPB, Luksy, and all others making this mod. Any ETA on R02?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 2014-10-04 12:14:38 »
Nope.  It's in Luksy's hands now and he's busy.  When the questions (so far 50) have been answered and ts updated, I can finalize this and release the final revision.  I am also working with Covarr to iron out small grammar mistakes (commas mainly).

There's a reason I don't start too many projects like this...  the reason is I am a fanatic perfectionist.  I want everything to be as good as I can possibly make it.  That means the time needed is exponentially greater.  But I am happy to say this is looking like the finished article now.  It's very very good.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 2014-10-04 14:22:54 »
Also, I think Force is going to have to become Property, as the Japanese indicates.  My reasoning for that is that Fire  (and cold etc) is not a force.  I suppose it could be considered one in some fashion, but maybe Force is too much of  a liberty here.  Besides, Properties fits perfectly, and even Breath of Fire localized it to that.

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 2014-10-05 18:33:43 »
This can only be done with 7H. Actually I think it already has with the Final Heaven Catalog.
Hmm... I tried using 7th Heaven, but I don't see Beacause or Reunion in the catalog. :/ Thanks anyway!
For now I think I'll do a "story" playthrough with Reunion and a "gameplay" playthrough with the New Threat.

I'm at Junon Underwater Reactor of the "story" playthrough, and I can say that the story feels WAY better with the new translation! You really did a fantastic job! The sentences make sense, the characters show their personality through dialogue...
I realized just now that playing with the original translation I basically had to translate from Awkwardish to English as I read, and while it was not a dealbreaker it was a constant distraction that lessened the experience. It's like removing background noise that has been there for so long that you forgot it was there.

There are very few awkward moments and a few bugs here and there (some inverted yes/no choices) but I guess these are what has been changed in R02. So, well... seriously, fantastic job.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: 2014-10-05 18:35:01 »
I'd wait until R02... further (and final) improvements make it great, but still good with R01.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #585 on: 2014-10-05 18:40:44 »
Hmm... I tried using 7th Heaven, but I don't see Beacause or Reunion in the catalog. :/ Thanks anyway!

I've only added Menu Overhaul and the minigame tweaks to the 7H catalog for now. I'm waiting until R02 before I look into adding Beacause and Weapon, and until I even see the finished products of those, I won't know what's possible to add or how long it would take. It's just a game of patience right now.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #586 on: 2014-10-06 04:33:21 »
I realized just now that playing with the original translation I basically had to translate from Awkwardish to English as I read, and while it was not a dealbreaker it was a constant distraction that lessened the experience. It's like removing background noise that has been there for so long that you forgot it was there.

This is the greatest description of the change from original translation to Reunion I've ever seen. Thank you so much for articulating my thoughts/feelings in a way I was incapable! :D

Like, I first played when I was ~13 and I honestly didn't notice most of the translation, the 'background noise that has been there for so long that you forgot it was there' thing. The Reunion was such a beautiful experience that it basically reasserted FFVII as my favorite game (Tales of the Abyss had usurped it and they still swap positions from time to time.)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 2014-10-06 08:05:47 »
The check is almost complete.  So far, a ton of questions for Covarr mainly regarding comma positions, and over 60 questions for Luksy.

Also, so far, one wrong use of "Your"

{BARRET}
“Your not goin'?
  There ain't no other way of gettin'
  to the reactor 'cept through here.”

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #588 on: 2014-10-06 14:44:52 »
Visit any form of social media now a days and that "Your" would be deemed correct.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 2014-10-06 15:21:16 »
Visit any form of social media now a days and that "Your" would be deemed correct.

Says the teacher! :P

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: 2014-10-06 17:03:36 »

Barrett does strike me as the guy who keeps spamming post about global climate written in caps-lock and full of spelling errors on every social media.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 2014-10-06 23:52:26 »
The final (and I do mean final) check is done.  My job is done now. In the coming days I will be sending a lot of stuff to Covarr and Luksy and then the project will be 100% complete.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: 2014-10-07 15:21:37 »
Small idea and only a stylistic change: wouldn't it looks better if Jenova says her text at the start of the battle?

It would also interesting to force Cloud in an incurable Hyper and Berserk status to underline indirectly this sentence together with his emotional feelings, but this might be better an idea for the Weapon part.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: 2014-10-07 15:36:13 »
I can't change those things as they are directly intended by the writers and aren't an issue (unlike the cannon at Junon which IS an issue).  Weapon could change the battle thing, but we'll see.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: 2014-10-11 13:46:11 »
While I am waiting for Luksy I have decided to go through all my custom code that I and Kranmer created way way back... and redo it properly.  So far already is one serious error.  I have added a push onto the stack where there isn't supposed to be one at the magic sub menu (where you can use magic like cure on your allies).  I don't quite understand why the game doesn't crash there, but perhaps NFITC1 can enlighten me?

Why doesn't an extra push onto the stack completely ruin the game? 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: 2014-10-11 19:58:13 »
Second bug...

When Seven Fever (Lucky 7s) occurs, the game uses a different part of code to display names with rainbow effect.  Because I have not set this, the names move to their original location.  This has been the case since the the earliest reunion releases.  I take it no one had a Lucky7s with Reunion yet  ;)

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
« Reply #596 on: 2014-10-12 23:14:13 »
Second bug...

When Seven Fever (Lucky 7s) occurs, the game uses a different part of code to display names with rainbow effect.  Because I have not set this, the names move to their original location.  This has been the case since the the earliest reunion releases.  I take it no one had a Lucky7s with Reunion yet  ;)

I've played this game on and off since it's release and I have never in my life managed to Lucky 7s so. XD

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: 2014-10-13 08:11:21 »
I've played this game on and off since it's release and I have never in my life managed to Lucky 7s so. XD

Have you tried having Tifa in your party?  :-P

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 2014-10-13 23:51:53 »
I'm still ploughing through the old code and updating it.  The new battle box autosizing code is done...

This will give you some idea as to how naive I was about coding a while back.  Just look at the train wreck in the older code:

Older
Bytes used: ~110
Code: [Select]
Starting 6D21AE
===============================================
movsx eax,word ptr [ebp-00000158]
cmp cx,0DA8
Jne label1
-------------------------
mov word ptr [ebp-00000168],FF58
movsx eax,word ptr [ecx+edx+04]
cdq
sub eax,edx
mov ecx,eax
sar ecx,1
movsx eax,word ptr [ebp-00000158]
cdq
sub eax,edx
sar eax,1
sub ecx,eax
LABEL1
mov word ptr [ebp-00000168],0009
add ax,001A
mov [0091D21C],ax
mov cx,0280
sub cx,ax
sar cx,1
mov [ebp-00000174],ecx
xor ecx,ecx
add ecx,0C

Newer
Bytes used: ~70
Code: [Select]
Starting 6D21A2
xor ebx,ebx                 [Prepare reg for TextX]
mov ax,[ebp-00000158] [TextWidth]
mov dx,FF58               [HelpTextY]
cmp cl,17                   
je label1                      [If help text is true]
add eax,1a                  [Add 1A to TextWidth]
add ebx,0D                  [Add 0D to TextX]
mov dx,0009               [AttackTextY]
LABEL1
mov [0091D21C],ax       [Resize boxes]
mov [ebp-00000158],bx  [Set TextX]
mov [ebp-00000168],dx  [Set TextY]
mov cx,0280                [ScreenWidth = 640]
sub cx, ax
shr cx,1                       [Box now centred]
mov [ebp-00000174],cx  [Set BoxX]     

The battle boxes work in a very strange way in battle... the text is linked to the box for starters.  And the box cannot be removed easily from what i can see, because the main function also contains a complete draw method for it (unlike nearly all other boxes that can just have their draw function nopped.  Because of this, I have to hide the box Y pos, move the text Y up.  Also, the code is shared for both help menu text and attack text.  So it gets rather complicated.  I am not sure how NFITC1 etc would handle it better, if possible, but my code isn't TOO bad.)
« Last Edit: 2014-10-13 23:59:55 by DLPB »

Green_goblin

• View Profile
    • Parasite Eve Translation Project
« Reply #599 on: 2014-10-14 07:49:36 »
Hi DLPB

Maybe you are interested in this new bug: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15628.0

Regards