Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Project Eden - dramatically improved backgrounds (v1.0)  (Read 317968 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Hey Omzy, if you can provide me with some of the raw images (HUDs), I can remaster them in HD in Photoshop.  :P

Stuff like this:

https://1f4047f4b2ba7f2a0addca2365f349169e62e13a.googledrive.com/host/0ByMkI_Nb8OmJRlZfaVdfWU92aUU/bghall_7_01.png

and also the Balamb Garden Network on the computer in the beginning of the game.

Yes! That would be great!

Nocteus

• View Profile
Really nice looking mod, however.. whenever I have tried to download it says "Network Error" after it finishes the download. I do not have this problem with any other mod,
I was wondering if there is anything that anyone might know could be causing this or anything?

Omzy

• View Profile
Really nice looking mod, however.. whenever I have tried to download it says "Network Error" after it finishes the download. I do not have this problem with any other mod,
I was wondering if there is anything that anyone might know could be causing this or anything?
Could you give some more information on the error please--where do you see the error (screenshot), what are you able to get working so far, other mods installed, etc.

Nocteus

• View Profile

Nothing has happened when I click on it and internet searches haven't brought up anything besides trying again later.. which I have many times.
The current mods I have are Tonberry, SeeD, RaW and Tripod and they have all worked perfectly fine without any trouble.

EDIT: I have since tried downloading it in a different browser, changing proxy settings and disabling my virus protection, nothing has worked so far.

EDIT2: By downloading it with the Safari browser it finally worked.
It seems it would be a problem with either Chrome and internet explorer as I had no trouble at all downloading it with Safari.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-08 20:11:25 by Nocteus »

Labuta

• View Profile
Your work is awesome.  I wonder what kind of tool do you use to upsize
the FF8's backgrounds ?

Ryze

• View Profile
Can't seem to get this to work... I put the files where it says in the first post but when i load up the game its just standard... Any ideas?

EDIT Nevermind, there was an issue with the tonberry folder, sorted now :)
« Last Edit: 2014-08-13 18:11:14 by Ryze »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Your work is awesome.  I wonder what kind of tool do you use to upsize
the FF8's backgrounds ?

Photopshop, a couple filter plugins, and a script to do most of the work automatically.

Leonnyxx

• View Profile
I want to help in this project...were i can donwload all original files of the backgrounds...I have the original PC version and the Steam version.I have 'Garden',to decompile the files,but i dont understand it too much.If you give me the PGN's untouched,I can do the job.

In Photoshop there are some plug-ins and filters...but...one need experience and knowledge to truly give life again to the backgrounds.

« Last Edit: 2014-08-26 05:48:03 by Leonnyxx »

tetsujin210

• View Profile
Hey Omzy! I have a pretty good background in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom! I am an avid photographer and I'd love to help you with this project! Would it be cool if you sent me something untouched to see if you'd like my work?

kruz

• View Profile
Good morning Qhimm people.
I have been visiting this site for many years, and love the Final Fantasy series.  I was hoping to get some help on this Project Eden mod. I have FF8, which I purchased through Steam, and was wondering if Project Eden works on Steam installations?. My menu path looks nothing like the one described in the original post, it is more like
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII

Is this where I should install it?. I cannot see any other place to put it?.

Thanks

kruz

• View Profile
Not supported anymore?

Erik

• View Profile
Yes it works on Steam.

First of all you should have installed the Tonberry though or else this will not work.

Check out MCINDUS YT-channel for some vids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBLOBIu0AHQyCzP0BjCbbCg/videos

But in short it's just a matter of coyping and pasting files to the appropriate folder.

Seraphim87

• View Profile
I'm not tech-savy enough to do screenshots but on that one stage of the fire level (the one where you can draw in a magic spell) at the the top left you'll notice an error in the lava.

Project Eden looks great overall but I'm still curious to see when the updated version will come out.

Mr. Omzy, any news on that front and anything the fans can do to help? :)

Seraphim87

• View Profile
Also just wanted to add- MAJOR props to Omzy for this mod!  Despite the minor flaws in some areas the game as a whole looks night and day better.  I can't even go back to the original now. :P

So thank you man! :)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
For everyone wondering about Project Eden updates, I talked to Omzy and this is what he wanted me to pass on:

----------------------------------
- From Omzy -

Sorry I haven't had more of a presence on the forums recently-- a lot of stuff is going on that's keeping me from my me-time for a while. I hope that next month I have some more free time--my schedule should clear out a bit, hopefully.

Regarding Hashing:
I looked at what Shunsq was posting and it seems he's working hard on his end. He did message me asking for the current hashing algorithms and I sent them to him. There is yet more that needs to be done on my end to the hash algorithms so that they are better quality, but it seems like what you all are doing is working for now. Once people start trying to replace magic/battle/world map textures, etc, the problems will become more apparent, similar to some of the problems in Project Eden.

Regarding the Source Code:
I've been thinking about releasing the source code as is.  If you find anyone that you think would be able to do some good work on that front, let me know and I'll send it their way.

Also, would you mind posting this update in some of my threads? I know people have been asking when updates will happen.

- Omzy
------------------------

Hopefully that answers some questions and gives everyone a better understanding of the time frame!  Omzy is THE MAN, so I'm sure he'll get around to an update when he can, and it will rock just as hard as it always does!

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Link Removed.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-25 20:55:54 by Mcindus »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I'm seeding.

Antraxx

• View Profile
I'm seeding.

Thanks for seeding. The main file link (non-torrent) seems to be down.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Would you like me to create and seed a torrent pack with the essential graphical updates/mods that are Tonberry dependent? Tonberry, Eden, hashmaps, Cards (tripod)? I can post it in "The pirate bay" or anywhere else.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-25 11:54:58 by LeonhartGR »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Would you like me to create and seed a torrent pack with the essential graphical updates/mods that are Tonberry dependent? Tonberry, Eden, hashmaps, Cards (tripod)? I can post it in "The pirate bay" or anywhere else.

No - making an overall torrent doesn't make things very 'central' when updates are constantly available.  I don't want people using old versions of files when they can just come here and find the latest, most bug-free releases for the mods.
Maybe once we have all of the translations, the new world map textures, and magochocobo's textures, we could release something big.  But until then, things are entirely too 'patchy' right now to not bring an onslaught of confusion with it.

This brings up an excellent point, though:
Maybe then we could get people in the community to help us create an installer for the game.  Nothing as in-depth as Bootleg, but I would love to have an installer that would include options such as:

- Choose between the available languages [English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Greek, and Polish] for SeeD Reborn (available soon!)
- Pick your font for SeeD Reborn (I'm working on a few for the English version)
- Pick your own title screen, (Working on a few)
- Choose between "Tripod" (current release) and "Tripod Deluxe" (available soon!)
- Implement Project Eden v1.0 - Omzy's field upscale
- Update the world map! (I'm compiling the files to be hashed)
- Implement Magochocobo's textures (Omzy is working on it for a future Tonberry release)
- (If we get the author's permission!) Choose between installing "RaW" or the "PC to PSX" music mods (who knows, maybe they could even help us?)

I know, I have lofty dreams.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Currently uploading some major videos on YT... I will continue to seed from tomorrow.

Enkanel

• View Profile
Downloading now, I'll seed it too as I have some extra space on my hard drive ^^

I like the installer idea too, if someone can make it! :) I'll look a bit on google and stuff if I can find how to, maybe I can help ^^ (I have extra time too xD)

Edit: Well I think I figured out a nice way of doing the installer, I've made a first exemple with Tonbery (I hope you don't mind Omzy, but as it's mandatory for most of other mods... ^^ Of course I'll ask all mods authors if I do a complete version of this installer, if some don't want to be in it I will still be able to put a link to their work at the end of the installation ^^) and SeeD Reborn here: http://perdu.com/ I'll make a new topic about this if you want me to continue :) It's very basic, but could be a good start ^^ (also, I haven't included the VC++ redistribuable within the installer to avoid having something to heavy for this first test, but it can be added easily ^^)
« Last Edit: 2014-09-28 06:21:41 by Enkanel »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Downloading now, I'll seed it too as I have some extra space on my hard drive ^^

I like the installer idea too, if someone can make it! :) I'll look a bit on google and stuff if I can find how to, maybe I can help ^^ (I have extra time too xD)

Edit: Well I think I figured out a nice way of doing the installer, I've made a first exemple with Tonbery (I hope you don't mind Omzy, but as it's mandatory for most of other mods... ^^ Of course I'll ask all mods authors if I do a complete version of this installer, if some don't want to be in it I will still be able to put a link to their work at the end of the installation ^^) and SeeD Reborn here:  I'll make a new topic about this if you want me to continue :) It's very basic, but could be a good start ^^ (also, I haven't included the VC++ redistribuable within the installer to avoid having something to heavy for this first test, but it can be added easily ^^)

Thank you for your work! Please take this down asap though, and send me the link personally at [email protected]
« Last Edit: 2014-09-28 07:44:47 by Mcindus »

Enkanel

• View Profile
It's down ;) I'm sending you the link :)

mama-sensei

• View Profile
Is anyone else having problems with the Steam overlay, and/or taking screenshots with the hotkey in Steam?  I started noticing related crashes once I started using the mod.   :(  Also whenever I get a new achievement, it seems to lock it up as well.