Author Topic: FF8 Steam and Addons  (Read 33869 times)

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
Re: FF8 Steam and Addons
« Reply #25 on: 2014-07-11 22:23:59 »
I feel so stupid, man. I did everything you guys told me, and i'm still getting that damn error. I put all the dlls, I removed tonberry and its mods, I tried everything that passed on my head and it doesn't works. Soooo dissapointed about myself u.u Still can't see where the error is.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-07-11 22:25:05 »
yeah, that's right.  Any DLL that is injected into ff8 afterwards by a launcher or by aalis driver, needs to go into hextlaunch in_dll

Basically any custom mod/dll.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-07-11 22:56:41 »
Did it!

There was a little mistake I'm afraid.
The right way to put the executables is first, the launcher, and then, the FF8_ES.exe, that way:

Code: [Select]
[HextLaunch]
File="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_Launcher.exe"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_ES.exe"
Process=FF8_ES.exe
Window=
LoadHext=0
InjectDLL=1
NoInput=1
Delay=6000

This way, it'll boot the launcher and try to inject dlls but untill you open the game, the actual FF8_ES.exe it won't be able to do it. Hope this helps everyone else u.u

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #28 on: 2014-07-11 23:00:42 »
yeah, that's right.  Any DLL that is injected into ff8 afterwards by a launcher or by aalis driver, needs to go into hextlaunch in_dll

Basically any custom mod/dll.

So - here's my file path structure:
FINAL FANTASY VIII/HL_Files/DLL_in/ all of my .dll's

I was getting the error for every .dll with my settings.ini file as:
[HextLaunch]
File=FF8_EN.exe
Process=
Window=
LoadHext=0
InjectDLL=1
NoInput=1
Delay=1000
So I changed it to:
[HextLaunch]
File=FF8_Launcher.exe
Process=FF8_EN.exe
Window=
LoadHext=0
InjectDLL=1
NoInput=1
Delay=1000
When HextLauncher runs, I see that it keeps trying to load FF8_EN.exe and failing until I actually click 'PLAY' in the launcher...
Then I get 'xxx.dll loaded successfully' for every .dll in the .log, but none of them are actually working in-game.  Not even RaW. (and i left bass.dll in the FFVIII folder).

Any tips?

Ok I fixed it.  FYI - I had to keep RaW and all tonberry .dll's out of the DLL_in folder for this to work properly.

Also - the .dll's seem to work find now - as I don't see the Square Enix logo on startup, I know that Publish.dll is working properly.  This is good news!

Time to post some fun on the Steam forums.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 23:09:21 by Mcindus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-07-11 23:08:50 »
If they are loaded, they are loaded...  they should definitely work.

They do here, when loaded.  Are these DLL designed to be used with ff8_es?

Raw should.

Also... above... makes no sense.  As long as ff8_es.exe is on the line "process="  it will wait for the process to load before doing anything.  It can't fail.

edit..

Placing the dlls outside the dll_in folder cannot possibly work... it can't load them if they are not there.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 23:14:06 by DLPB »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #30 on: 2014-07-11 23:17:32 »
If they are loaded, they are loaded...  they should definitely work.

They do here, when loaded.  Are these DLL designed to be used with ff8_es?

Raw should.

For some reason, when I had the Tonberry callback dll's in the DLL_in folder, it wasn't loading anything properly (even RaW).  I eliminated the issue by only putting RaW.dll and the .dll's i wanted to add into the DLL_in folder.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-07-11 23:24:39 »
I'm having the same issue. RaW will work into DLL_in folder, but Tonberry dll's won't. In any case I'm having weird issues with Tonberry so I won't discard anything... but at least the other mods will work for now!

Thanks for your patience to all of you, I'm glad to have fixed this now!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-07-11 23:25:38 »
send me tonberry dlls :)  or link

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-07-11 23:40:37 »
Here are Omzy's post
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15291.0

You have to download Tonberry 1.4 and inside the .rar you'll find the 3 dlls needed.

(Here's direct link, if you don't want to donwload the entire .rar) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByMkI_Nb8OmJSkRxRHgwb1M4SkE/edit

EDIT: By the way, Mcindus, Publish.dll doesn't work for me, nor HP.dll, but Damage.dll works. Very strange that certain dlls works for ones and doesn't for others...
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 23:51:52 by JeMaCheHi »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #34 on: 2014-07-12 00:14:31 »
Here are Omzy's post
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15291.0

You have to download Tonberry 1.4 and inside the .rar you'll find the 3 dlls needed.

(Here's direct link, if you don't want to donwload the entire .rar) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByMkI_Nb8OmJSkRxRHgwb1M4SkE/edit

EDIT: By the way, Mcindus, Publish.dll doesn't work for me, nor HP.dll, but Damage.dll works. Very strange that certain dlls works for ones and doesn't for others...

Those .dll's seem to work for me.  I haven't been able to test HP.dll, but I don't have to see a square-enix logo anymore and monsters are a bit harder. ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2014-07-12 11:15:01 »
The Tonberry Dlls are not meant to be injected into the game.  If you read the readme, you can clearly see they are meant to be external.  Those dlls are directx dlls... It's no wonder they wouldn't load.

Read Tonberry readme, and if it doesn't work, ask on that thread.  Does that mod support Steam?

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-07-12 12:03:24 »
Yes, actually, it's supposed to be developed for Steam version. At least for me, Tonberry is working as it did before using HextLaunch. Weird is the fact that for Mcindus works Publish.dll, but for me doesn't. Raw.dll works for me but doesn't for him. It's like... why the same dll works in some cases and doesn't in some others?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-07-12 12:19:57 »
Not sure, but you need to know which dlls to have in game folder, and which to have in the in_dll folder.

This is a newer version...  it should give additional info on why dll not loaded:

https://mega.co.nz/#!glsBkLSR!-a9q6G3YoTHzerdQWNv4ESpsOJQGDr5XSUb1-Sdb6Ps

Because HextLaunch supports my Hext instruction lists, a lot of these DLLs aren't even needed.  Changes can be made by simple text files instead.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-12 13:03:02 by DLPB »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #38 on: 2014-07-12 19:27:11 »
I got all of the .dll's to work.  RaW is in DLL_in along with the new addons.  All of the tonberry mods are in my parent ff8 directory. Magic.  Thanks DLPB.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2014-07-12 20:07:30 »
I got all of the .dll's to work.  RaW is in DLL_in along with the new addons.  All of the tonberry mods are in my parent ff8 directory. Magic.  Thanks DLPB.

Did you get HP.dll working? I can't make them work except RaW and Damage.dll. As you said, Magic.
And, thanks for the new version, DLPB.

EDIT: I was wondering about other games, where mod's load order is very important. Could be happening something with the load order? I've been thinking about this, and it's a good reason that could explain why sometimes loads certain mods, and sometimes it doesn't. It'd be good if more people tells us if they are having similar issues.

EDIT2: Now after disabling steam ingame overlay, publish.dll works. After reenabling it, publish still works. Man I'm going sick with this.

EDIT3: Now HP.dll is working for first time. At least for me, it appears to get the dlls working completely ramdomly. I'm running out of ideas u.u
« Last Edit: 2014-07-13 00:11:54 by JeMaCheHi »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2014-07-13 20:15:41 »
Doesn't the new version give more details in the log than before why stuff isn't loading? I think that was the whole point; might wanna paste the new log for the failed loads.

Or does it put that info somewhere else? I honestly haven't had a chance to try it yet.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-07-13 21:30:08 »
Doesn't the new version give more details in the log than before why stuff isn't loading? I think that was the whole point; might wanna paste the new log for the failed loads.

Or does it put that info somewhere else? I honestly haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Nope, it gives exactly the same info. The point here is that it actually loads them, but they will randomly work: maybe work or maybe not.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-07-13 22:25:35 »
What is the log you are getting?  It should be giving extended info.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2014-07-13 23:21:42 »
Nop. It's giving exactly the same info:

FF8_Launcher.exe opened successfully.
Succeeded in loading by Process Name.

Damage.dll was loaded successfully.
HP.dll was loaded successfully.
Publish.dll was loaded successfully.
RaW.dll was loaded successfully.

14/07/2014, 1:16:49

For now it's loading the 4 correctly. Since I don't know why it's failing I cannot reproduce the error...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-07-14 08:25:39 »
Is Publish.dll meant to be placed in there?  or external again?

Also, make sure you have replaced the older version of HextLaunch with the new I linked to.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-07-14 12:08:10 »
Yes, it's meant to be there, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. And yes, I replaced that. I feel embarrased for being so annoying, but I'd really want to know why that modules works so randomly.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-07-14 15:26:09 »
No don't feel embarrassed.  We'll get to bottom of it yet....  it could just be my program.  Send me your hextlaunch with the dlls you are trying to load.  Zip it up and upload.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-07-14 16:27:48 »
Ok, thanks DLPB. Here you have my HextLaunch and all the files containing HL_Files.

https://mega.co.nz/#!tdBnGBbI!6srl4-cjpP001i4dvBlqQ2AN42ADFz8F8o9MCPCaoGw

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-07-14 16:34:39 »
It be that the game isn't having enough time to load.  Set the delay to 5000.

...Although this shouldn't matter since the game has loaded by this point.  But we'll see.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-07-14 18:23:59 »
Actually, I had it set to 6000 and changed because it failed to load very frequently. Changed to the default (1000) and it got better, but no flawless. But you're right and I thought about that. I was trying with delays in a range from 1000 to 6000, but I lost my time because it continued working randomly.

I'd really like to know how this is working in the inside... You seem to know a lot about this... if you can I'd appreciate some references to good documentation about programming dlls and all the stuff.

And thanks again DLPB  :-[