Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 21684 times)

Zara9

• View Profile
windows 10
« on: 2015-07-28 12:31:26 »
Hey

who is all excited about getting windows 10 tomorrow

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: windows 10
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-28 13:24:36 »
They're launching it in waves. I'm pretty excited, but only the first wave goes out tomorrow, probably for whoever was the fastest to sign up for it. It won't be fully launched for everyone for at least a few weeks.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-28 16:25:14 »
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 16:18:22 by dkma841 »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-28 17:35:24 »
Could give a shit about the design and I really wish I didn't have to use it but unfortunately windows is the only practicle solution for gaming so if anything I am pumped for dx12 and the improvements it will bring but other than that I really just long for a Linux box that is actually relevant in this society.  Maybe in another decade lol

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-28 17:42:39 »
I can't claim it. I've got 7SP1 and I can't find what they're talking about to claim it.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-28 17:45:06 »
Well in windows 8.1 there was a notification about it that showed up in my trey over a month ago and that's when I reserved it.  You may be able to do it manually from the website

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-28 17:55:51 »
It's not going to do anything that Windows 7 can't do for what I personally use it for - so there's no point me upgrading until I absolutely have to and until I know whether it is good.  People updated to Vista once upon a time.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-28 21:43:47 »
hey

where can i download windows 10 tomorrow so i can upgrade my OS right away tomorrow

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-29 02:13:10 »
Lol good luck with that only the windows ten insiders have even a chance of getting it tomorrow guess the beta test isn't over after all

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-29 06:44:47 »
I was able to get Windows 10 installed moments ago.  The auto update seemed to be failing but you can down the iso manually via the new creation tool they put on their website moments after it turned midnight EST.  Here is the link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

you can use that link to download the iso directly to your drive and as long as you are running a compatible OS (windows 7 or 8 ) it will autodetect and process the upgrade and give you a genuine copy of Windows 10 when done.  Just be sure to download the iso for the same version of the OS you have installed now.  For example if you have windows 8 Pro be sure to download the Windows 10 Pro as well or you will not end up with a genuine copy of Windows 10 at the end of the process.

Glad they made a way to perform the update manually I was itching to get windows 8.1 off my machine as fast as I possibly could!

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-29 19:01:36 »
I am really impressed so far, I've been playing with the public betas for a few months now without too many problems. For a day one windows release, I don't think microsoft has done better with other releases. XP, Vista, 7 and 8 all sucked on day one.

Im also really digging the notification center - It is about time

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-07-30 03:44:36 »
Yes I will want to upgrade from 8.1 but I'll wait, I want major bugs to be ironed out and maybe wait for a SP1. That is the consensus on what to do. W10 seems already to be an improvement over 7 and 8 /8.1  http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-meta-review-download-it-in-a-month-or-two-1720774235
And if you game  I think you just can't ignore DX12 for the future games.

It would seem W10 will be the final build of Windows and that MS will update it through the years, I read that somewhere.

But for the time being I'm just too busy playing with Ubuntu and Whonix (based on Debian)  :P I'm really liking Linux a lot !

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-07-30 04:12:19 »
There doesn't really seem to be anything major to iron out this time in my opinion.  Don't forget this product has been in the hands of millions of "insiders" for about 12 months already so its a lot more polished then a totally virgin Windows would be; like previous editions.  Everything is butter smooth on my end.  Ran the new 3dMark API overhead bench on my system and am super pumped for some DX12 games after seeing the results.  I also ran several other benchmarks since installing 10 last night and they are all universally higher than before on 8.1. 

Not a single crash, hang up or issue so far.  In fact I was even able to overclock my cpu about 5 steps higher than I was able to on 8.1 with absolutely no issue so far where as 8.1 would have crashed over and over at the settings I have been running all day now.  And I am in the heat of the summer where I am at right now so if anything it should be running even hotter then when I was testing the same configuration back during the Winter on 8.1.

If your running 8 or 8.1 I'd say don't wait; seems like 10 is more stable than either of those.  If your on 7 and your cool with that then I suppose you could wait but 10 is a lot more responsive and boots way faster and is all around just better than a severely outdated system like 7, but that's up to you.  I am usually a pretty huge Microsoft critic (prefer Linux but its just not practical for my workload) and I have been looking for something to hate or complain about all day but as much as I hate to say it they seem to have done a decent job this time around.  Probably because they actually tried listening to the users more this time.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-30 04:18:46 by yarLson »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-07-30 05:02:49 »
There doesn't really seem to be anything major to iron out this time in my opinion.  Don't forget this product has been in the hands of millions of "insiders" for about 12 months already so its a lot more polished then a totally virgin Windows would be; like previous editions.  Everything is butter smooth on my end.  Ran the new 3dMark API overhead bench on my system and am super pumped for some DX12 games after seeing the results.  I also ran several other benchmarks since installing 10 last night and they are all universally higher than before on 8.1. 

Not a single crash, hang up or issue so far.  In fact I was even able to overclock my cpu about 5 steps higher than I was able to on 8.1 with absolutely no issue so far where as 8.1 would have crashed over and over at the settings I have been running all day now.  And I am in the heat of the summer where I am at right now so if anything it should be running even hotter then when I was testing the same configuration back during the Winter on 8.1.

If your running 8 or 8.1 I'd say don't wait; seems like 10 is more stable than either of those.  If your on 7 and your cool with that then I suppose you could wait but 10 is a lot more responsive and boots way faster and is all around just better than a severely outdated system like 7, but that's up to you.  I am usually a pretty huge Microsoft critic (prefer Linux but its just not practical for my workload) and I have been looking for something to hate or complain about all day but as much as I hate to say it they seem to have done a decent job this time around.  Probably because they actually tried listening to the users more this time.

Thanks for your feedback ! Now I'm even more interested, especially in the OCing /stability and performance parts.
I will upgrade when my PC build will be complete and watercooled then.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-30 05:13:48 by White Wind »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-07-30 17:45:45 »
Been pretty smooth for me so far, a few things have changed to be a bit less useful, can't seem to pick the photos/wallpapers I want for my rotating background, only an entire folder or only a single, nothing huge obviously but I'd rather the random images not show up, seeing a 100x100 pixel avatar stretched to 1440p isn't exactly ideal ya know.

Mail app need to have all accounts listed in the sidebar rather than having to click a couple times to get to each one.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-08-04 12:03:59 »
hey

when i tried to use the psfxfin emulator on my windows 10 using my logtech headset yesterday

it made my emualtor on my game softlock on me

could that be a windows 10 soundcard issue then

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-08-05 20:05:19 »
I believe it could a compatibility issue with the either the head set or the emulator itself.  You may need to check to see if there is an update for either one.  Though since this is new I kind of doubt it.  Though you may just need to see if there is an update regardless and it may fix it anyway.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-08-09 14:10:18 »
hey

my psxfin emulator keeps on crashing on me since i upgraded to windows 10

i am starting to hate windows 10 now

what should i do

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-08-09 15:04:16 »
As far as I can tell, that emulator is barebones, hasn't been updated in years and actually has poor compatibility, so no wonder you're having issues.

PCSX or ePSXe are the two most common and best PS1 emulators and Legend of Dragoon will absolutely run on them, give one of them a try.

Here's LoD running on ePSXe in Windows 10 just fine fullscreen which I just tested.

« Last Edit: 2015-08-09 15:06:26 by Tekkie.X »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-08-09 21:06:28 »
yeah i understand why your using that emu mednafen-psx with retroarch is a great psx emulator if you want accuracy.  Or the aforementioned if you want graphical hacks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-08-09 23:18:43 »
mednafen-psx with retroarch is a great psx emulator if you want accuracy.
I can second this. Mednafen-PSX has the best accuracy and compatibility of any Playstation emulator out there. The downsides are that it requires more powerful computer to run at fullspeed, and it's a bit of a pain to set up because the documentation isn't very good. But it's the only one I'll use anymore.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-08-11 18:12:12 »
hey guys

everytime i get anything to work on the psxfin on wndows 10

it saids this to me

illegal transfer command

what does that mean and how can i fix it

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-08-11 18:29:47 »
hey

on windows 8.1 everything was working fine on the psxfin so i do not know whats wrong anymore

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-08-11 21:57:01 »
So apart from Windows 10 breaking everything that worked perfectly fine (because it's new), does it do anything that Win 7 or 8 couldn't do?  As I originally stated, there is absolutely no point updating when you do not have to.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-08-11 22:25:52 »
does it do anything that Win 7 or 8 couldn't do?
Well, it has a new hybrid start menu that is pretty nice (menu + tiles, nicer than either 7 or 8's offerings); a really handy personal assistant thing (similar to Siri and Google Now); massively improved Aero Snap (you can drag windows to any corner instead of just L/R sides, as well as it's easier to put something on the other side); a proper windowed mode for modern apps (that only run fullscreen in 8); built in virtual desktops support, a pretty decent notifications system to replace the irritating old notifications style; a built-in screen recorder in the Xbox app, which itself is a marked improvement over old GFWL nonsense; and a redesigned settings panel that doesn't suck like what Windows 8 had.

But perhaps most importantly, it has DirectX 12. Nothing uses it just yet, but eventually more and more games will require it, making 7 and 8 virtually useless for gamers much how DX10/11 made XP useless for gamers.