Author Topic: Q-Gears... You guys need a manager? :P  (Read 3675 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Q-Gears... You guys need a manager? :P
« on: 2007-02-04 21:09:34 »
Hi guys... Remeber me?

Ok, Here's the skinny. I've graduated college and now looking for work. I've also have a band-spanking new system up and running. Unlike my laptop, this is a real desktop with a real OpenGL card (Nvidia), sound system, and live Internet connection. I also have gigs of hard drive space to consume....

This means I can now, for the first time in a long time, be pro-active in the development of Q-gears.

First I wish to apologize for my absence. I've tried to work "from the shadows" as best I could. At best I was the marketing department, where when there was a release, I tried to do PR as much as possible. Now that I have some more free time, I would like to give more attention to the administrational back-end to the project, and give it some direction.

I'll also try my best to work on it a little bit every day. That's my goal.

So, first off, I think we need to open a few discussions on how to manage some of the more "mundane" aspects of the project. Lucky for you, this will mostly fall on my shoulders. However there will be some changes on your guy's side too.

First on this list is SVN usage, which needs to be fixed.

Upon reviewing the situation, I think they current way of handling SVN is broken. The reason why I say this is because today I wanted to pull down the most recent version of Q-Gears and found it's a month old. (version .10). The binary, however, is version .11

I don't think this as acceptable, both from a programmer's standpoint and from a GPL one.

So, first topic:
Akari, please send me a .zip of version .11 so I can update SVN. Thanks.

Now, We had had a discussion in the past where everyone made their own trunks to keep from stepping on each others toes. Akari was to be the "programmer lead" and when Akari updated, we would allow everyone else to "catch up". It's a good experiment, but after having this in effect, I don't think it's a good way of doing it. It seems to stall out development, and doesn't allow any other programmer to look at the work being done. The linchpin of GPL is that it a) communal and b) open. This "code hording" (for lack of a better term) is not helping deveopment.

So, Second topic:
SVN should be a "bleeding edge" repository. It should be updated when you change something. I understand that this will break things, but it allows better access to the code.

To better keep everyone in lockstep, we should give ourselves incremental goals. When these goals are reached, we can then release a source tarball that's "stable" (for lack of a better term) from SVN and keep SVN bleeding edge. This seems a better way to manage the code.

Need a code manager? I can do that. Do we need something like a "Jobs" board where jot down what we are doing?

I'll also be wandering around in the wiki more, I'm seeing developments that aren't getting in. I'll work on that too.

Anyways, anyone have any comments on what to do next? I'm open to suggestions.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: Q-Gears... You guys need a manager? :P
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-05 01:20:07 »
We should finish the new logo (or should it be called the Limbo? LOL)
I probably should do more entries into Mr Wiki.
I finally found my old debugger code! WOOO HOO. Unfortunately my compilor is being anoying, so I'm debating what to do about that.
My CDROM debugging tool never got far but then again...

FIELD.BIN <-- we need ot LOOK at this file very carefully (hint from the italian FF7 translation team on Romhacking.com).
It's likely we need someone with the Japanese version of FF7 because without it we won't know the extended bytes they used for the various symbologies in that version, translation we will be hosed if we want to run the Japanese version of FF7 and have conversations etc work correctly.  I was hoping someone had this already but it seems most translation teams haven't used the Japanese version.  Oh well. 

Text generated for conversations may need to be converted to Unicode.  Currently it appears to be converted to ASCII (maybe)? Although for actually display such conversion is likely unnecessary, since the encoding selects different 4bit texture tiles that get put on the display.  The former is more for debugging the engine, to be sure the symbols match the translation being run. (Always a good thing!)

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Q-Gears... You guys need a manager? :P
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-05 02:30:57 »
First step is to get SVN updated with the correct code. I need Akari to send me the sources to .11 if he can't update.