Author Topic: [PC] External Texture Support - Tonberry (v1.5)  (Read 251248 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.2 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #75 on: 2014-06-29 17:39:47 »
@Mcindus
Like I said before, opening the overlay before you get an achievement/synchronization only works if you're offline. At least for me. Can you try oon your machine and see the overlay behaves differently for you?

I just tested it and it behaved smoothly in 'offline' mode, but crashed 2/3 times when I was online - so I would definitely go with the offline option.  It does allow for achievements, etc still - which is very nice.  People get a bit upset at having to deactivate sync, so it makes the mods a bit harder to want to use.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2014-06-29 23:14:30 »
I just tested it and it behaved smoothly in 'offline' mode, but crashed 2/3 times when I was online - so I would definitely go with the offline option.  It does allow for achievements, etc still - which is very nice.  People get a bit upset at having to deactivate sync, so it makes the mods a bit harder to want to use.
If only someone could make an achievements mod that had actual hard-to-accomplish achievements...

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #77 on: 2014-06-30 01:38:23 »
If only someone could make an achievements mod that had actual hard-to-accomplish achievements...

This made me rofl.  I know i'm easy.  whatever.  :)   I like this idea

nRage

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2014-06-30 03:08:09 »
Is there any way to get this and sweetfx working at the same time? i don't know much about the d3d9.dll thingy.  :P ;D

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: 2014-06-30 03:25:03 »
There isn't, but I wonder if it's possible to enable it like they do for Skyrim mods.

http://www.hialgo.com/Skyrim_FAQ.htm#WHAT_TO_DO_WHEN_ENB_MODS_ARE_ALSO_USED

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #80 on: 2014-07-01 00:17:34 »
So - currently we have a workaround for the achievement crashes - just disable the Steam overlay in settings. 

Now unfortunately, the memory allocation causes crashes at a certain point (after the app reaches 1.6 gigs of RAM use) and it's causing everyone to have to save the game and then quit/restart the .exe file every hour or so. 

Is there a way to fix the memory issue easily? I hope its not a huge hassle for Omzy.

Only 2 major bugs and one already has a solution.  Great work!

nRage

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2014-07-01 00:33:15 »
Agreed Mcindus, this is some awesome work. I don't really mind having to disable the overlay. The exception crashes every 20min or so is annoying though. But still that is the only issue I've encountered. Can't wait for a fix. I keep anxiously refreshing the page every now and then.  :P Figured out how to use deling, looking forward to testing to help out project eden.  ;D

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2014-07-01 00:33:38 »
So - currently we have a workaround for the achievement crashes - just disable the Steam overlay in settings. 

Now unfortunately, the memory allocation causes crashes at a certain point (after the app reaches 1.6 gigs of RAM use) and it's causing everyone to have to save the game and then quit/restart the .exe file every hour or so. 

Is there a way to fix the memory issue easily? I hope its not a huge hassle for Omzy.

Only 2 major bugs and one already has a solution.  Great work!

Only works for a 64bit OS, but enabling Large Address Aware (often called the 4GB patch) may help, no 32 bit application can use more than 2GB of RAM (400MB is taken from your VRAM i bet) if they go above it, they crash, the 4GB patch can allow up to 4GB to be used, permanent solution? No, but it'll give you an extra hour, maybe even two until it's fixed. updates to steam will break this as any change to the .exe (or replacement there of) will disable it.

EDIT: Link to the patch for those interested: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

nRage

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2014-07-01 01:03:54 »
Thank you so much for the suggestion hellbringer!!!  ;D Using the 4gb patch and a ram optimizer (ramrush) it's not crashing at all now.  8-) It gets extremely choppy... But at least it doesn't crash.  ;D

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2014-07-01 03:38:13 »
Hey guys,
Thanks for your interest in this mod. I'm currently working to solve this memory issue. I've been trying to convert some of my arrays to c++ vectors and have experimented with using shared_ptr's, both of which have automatic garbage collection. Unfortunately, this hasn't solved the problem yet and I may have to ask for some help if I can't figure it out by tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 1-2 liner to fix  :-o

Alexios

• βασιλεύς Ῥωμαίων
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2014-07-01 03:58:10 »
Ozmy, did you tried asking for help on stackoverflow or some other place? I'm pretty sure that at least someone will help, especially after you mention you project.

Just2good

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2014-07-01 09:03:31 »
Ozmy, did you tried asking for help on stackoverflow or some other place? I'm pretty sure that at least someone will help, especially after you mention you project.

Hopefully fixing that will fix the problem I'm having ;-;. My game won't even start with Tonberry installed.

I do have a legit steam version of FF8 btw. Someone PMed me asking, but I don't have permission to PM apparently.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15291.msg214369#msg214369

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2014-07-01 15:08:01 »
Someone PMed me asking, but I don't have permission to PM apparently.
PMs are only enabled for users with five or more posts. This is mostly to prevent spammers.

ryokoshii

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2014-07-01 15:18:44 »
yup definite same crashing issue with tonberry,

EsperothVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2014-07-01 23:40:01 »
Hello all.  I've been lurking these forums the past couple of weeks when I decided to grab FFVIII on the steam sale and I've been trying to troubleshoot the crashing issues based on the suggestions here.

So the 4GB patch does indeed increase the threshold for the memory the game can use before it crashes. I can play for about an hour now when before it would crash every 15-30 mins. However RAMrush isn't working for me how it seems to be working for others. When I run the optimizer, it does lower the memory usage for the FF8 application. However it doesn't seem to be freeing that memory up after the optimization. The memory is still "in use or modified memory" instead of "free or available" when I look at the task manager. So ultimately the game still crashes. I'm not sure why this is happening to me when others it seems to be working fine for. Any idea why this is happening?
« Last Edit: 2014-07-02 00:09:02 by EsperothVIII »

Omzy

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Tonberry v1.3 - External Texture Support for FF8
« Reply #90 on: 2014-07-03 04:59:08 »
Main post updated with v1.3. This version should be more stable and have less memory leaks, although I believe it may still crash after a prolonged period of time. Please let me know how far you get before this happens. As mentioned by others, RAMRush is a temporary and hopefully playable solution.

EsperothVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2014-07-03 06:49:46 »
Amazing job!  I've been playing for over an hour without RAMrush and I'm still only sitting at around 300,000K memory usage for the executable.  I think you may have fixed it permanently! I'll give an update if it crashes.

Just2good

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2014-07-03 07:43:31 »
I downloaded V1.3 but I still get the same error when I launch the game.

Error: http://puu.sh/9UNh8.jpg

I get the error and then game crashes. Have latest version of VCRedist, have a legit steam version, completely clean copy of Tonberry.

I also tried removing the .dlls one by one and removing d3d9.dll makes the game work again, though I'm sure I'll need that in for the custom textures.

Any advice?

EsperothVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2014-07-03 08:21:27 »
I played the game for about 3 hours straight with no issues.  It looks like the memory problem has been fixed.  Great job Omzy.

nRage

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2014-07-03 08:35:00 »
It seems to be near fixed, for me anyway. It's still completely playable. The ram usage does continue to rise but it is substantially slower. I also have the 4gb patch installed and at the rate it's going it probably won't crash for like over 6 hours. Soooo the issue is still there but it's so dramatically reduced it's really not an issue. Just my observations from playin and watching my ram usage for a few hours. Great job Omzy, as always! 

EsperothVIII

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2014-07-03 09:00:27 »
It seems to be near fixed, for me anyway. It's still completely playable. The ram usage does continue to rise but it is substantially slower. I also have the 4gb patch installed and at the rate it's going it probably won't crash for like over 6 hours. Soooo the issue is still there but it's so dramatically reduced it's really not an issue. Just my observations from playin and watching my ram usage for a few hours. Great job Omzy, as always!

That's strange because my ram usage actually went down by the time I stopped playing.  It was around 300,000K at the 60 min mark and when I was ready to stop after 3 hours I checked it and it was down to around 145,000K

I did notice after I posted earlier that I did have RAMrush open but I didn't actively optimize anything because I didn't even notice I had it open while I was playing.  I don't think it does anything automatically so I don't know if that was a contributor to the stability or not.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-03 09:02:18 by EsperothVIII »

Alexios

• βασιλεύς Ῥωμαίων
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2014-07-03 15:21:37 »
@Ozmy

I've been playing for two hours now, and the commited memory has been floating at around 341mb. It seems the memory issues have been fixed. Yay! Great job, mate.

@Just2good

It's weird that your game doesn't even start. Try using the 4gb patch and see what happens. Try running the game after setting your status as Offline on steam. Try running the game after disabling Steam overlay and Cloud Synch. Try changing the video configurations on the launcher. Try sacrificing a black chicken on a cross road to the Oxalás. There's gotta be something you can change to make it work.

nRage

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2014-07-03 16:56:37 »
That's strange because my ram usage actually went down by the time I stopped playing.  It was around 300,000K at the 60 min mark and when I was ready to stop after 3 hours I checked it and it was down to around 145,000K

I did notice after I posted earlier that I did have RAMrush open but I didn't actively optimize anything because I didn't even notice I had it open while I was playing.  I don't think it does anything automatically so I don't know if that was a contributor to the stability or not.

I should mention that I was tryin to stress the game a bit to test it. I did notice usage went down every now and then but on average it did seem to slowly rise (after about 3 hours got to 600mb). I was able to produce the same effect, but faster, when I stress tested it for a few minutes. (Just closing and opening the menu a lot and running quickly in between areas. got it to 1.6gb in about 10 min) Still it is completely playable for me. The rate of usage climbs so slow it's not really an issue for me.

Just2good

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2014-07-03 18:01:37 »
@Just2good

It's weird that your game doesn't even start. Try using the 4gb patch and see what happens. Try running the game after setting your status as Offline on steam. Try running the game after disabling Steam overlay and Cloud Synch. Try changing the video configurations on the launcher. Try sacrificing a black chicken on a cross road to the Oxalás. There's gotta be something you can change to make it work.

Tried everything you suggested, except sacrificing a chicken, because I'd rather cook one. I've spent at least 5 hours trying to figure out how to get this to work but no dice ;-;.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2014-07-03 20:01:28 »
Tried everything you suggested, except sacrificing a chicken, because I'd rather cook one. I've spent at least 5 hours trying to figure out how to get this to work but no dice ;-;.
Sorry its taking so much effort for you--have you tried a complete reinstall (backing up saves of course)? Also, can you post some specs on your machine, operating system, video card model, maybe a couple screenshots of your install and tonberry folders and dll's. Hopefully we can help you.