Author Topic: It's FFIX's turn.  (Read 3714 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
It's FFIX's turn.
« on: 2012-03-06 19:34:23 »
Has anyone followed this?

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12535

I guess with proper RNG manipulation it's possible, but all the Excalibur II guides I've seen say you have to skip the FMVs to get it in time. Definitely going to take time to watch this once the encode is done.

Iecerint

• View Profile
Re: It's FFIX's turn.
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-06 20:08:01 »
It is not necessary to skip FMVs if you just want Excalibur II; however, if you want to get Excalibur II while also not permanently missing anything and reaching the endgame with low-level characters so that you can level with fancy stat-boosting items, it becomes necessary.  I guess it's technically possible (I had about 10 minutes to spare IIRC, and maybe you can sneak a few more minutes with some lucky chocobo-hunting), but it sounds awful.

I think it's only advisable to do this on emulator where save state can be abused.

Here's the guide I used way back when: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197338-final-fantasy-ix/faqs/41181

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-06 20:52:28 »
Has anyone followed this?

http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12535

I guess with proper RNG manipulation it's possible, but all the Excalibur II guides I've seen say you have to skip the FMVs to get it in time. Definitely going to take time to watch this once the encode is done.

Haha...Tas...

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-06 22:19:31 »
I never even tried to get Excalibur II in any playthrough I've done on FFIX. I like to enjoy the story, I don't think you can do that when you're rushing through. I suppose it adds replay value and is a nice touch for those that like these kinds of challenges, but one of the things I like about Final Fantasy games is that they're never about speed.

Enjoying the story and devising good strategies are a big part of why I love them, so getting Excalibur II was never something I wanted to do. Though I suppose you could totally do it in one day, which is kind of cool.

EDIT: Also, I was kind of pissed off that they had this in it at all. Because it's Steiner's ultimate weapon and it's probably the most missable thing in any FF game.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-07 13:02:37 »
I didn't mean for this to be a debate on the worthiness of the Ex.II. I only brought it up because he completes the game in less than eight hours. I was just announcing the TAS and wondering if anyone had been following its development. Yes it takes away from the story when you just rush through the game like that. I still think it will be partially enjoyable because he does a few side-questy things and plans out getting hit (unlike the FFVIII TAS).