Author Topic: [FFVII] - Sleeping Forest Cave  (Read 7116 times)

smokaz

[FFVII] - Sleeping Forest Cave
« on: 2012-06-26 03:24:36 »
"In the last screen of Sleeping Forest leading to the Forgotten Capital, a prominent ledge with a cave can be seen with a vine hanging from it, obviously for the player to climb. Despite there being a detour to allow the player to approach the vine it cannot be interacted with, making the cave inaccessible. Pressing select shows that the exit is nonfunctional regardless." - The Cutting Room Floor, FFVII.

I have gone past this cave several times now, and every time I think to myself: wouldn't it be awesome if someone modded in a new area/dungeon for this cave? It seems obvious that this cave was meant to be used at some point, but was abandoned later on by the original creators. With all the talented artists and coders in the final fantasy modding community I'm sure this could be made into a fully functioning dungeon. Heck, one could even add story elements to it, such as character development, romance, etc.

Has anyone else thought of this?
http://tcrf.net/File:FF7SleepingForestCave.png

Shademp

• View Profile
Re: [FFVII] - Sleeping Forest Cave
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-26 12:45:29 »
All signs point toward the Sleeping Forest once leading to the Ancient Forest, which in turn then led you out to Coral Valley. I'd rather implement this than create completely new caves.

But at present I'm more interested in finding the coordinates to properly teleport on to the walkmesh where the unused cave exit/entrance is. However, all my attemps to teleport to the right spot have failed.

The Ancient Forest theory is supported by:
1) Areas and their field identification numbers being generally ordered in the same order that you visit them throughout the game and the ancient forest being placed after the sleeping forest and before coral valley.
2) Unused "Ancient Forest" tutorial text in Bone Village.
Example:
“If you learn the special qualities
   of the animals in the (Old Forest),
   there'll be nothing to fear.
   Do you want to hear more?”
->     Yeah, tell me
->     Not now

“What do you want to know about?”
->     About Pitcher Plants
->     About Scent Balls 
->     About
->     About Inchworms

3) The monster attack IDs, which also line up with the Ancient Forest theory.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-26 18:47:30 »
I thought for long that the sleeping forest was to short compared to other locations.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-26 21:04:49 »
All signs point toward the Sleeping Forest once leading to the Ancient Forest, which in turn then led you out to Coral Valley. I'd rather implement this than create completely new caves.

But at present I'm more interested in finding the coordinates to properly teleport on to the walkmesh where the unused cave exit/entrance is. However, all my attemps to teleport to the right spot have failed.

The Ancient Forest theory is supported by:
1) Areas and their field identification numbers being generally ordered in the same order that you visit them throughout the game and the ancient forest being placed after the sleeping forest and before coral valley.
2) Unused "Ancient Forest" tutorial text in Bone Village.
Example:
“If you learn the special qualities
   of the animals in the (Old Forest),
   there'll be nothing to fear.
   Do you want to hear more?”
->     Yeah, tell me
->     Not now

“What do you want to know about?”
->     About Pitcher Plants
->     About Scent Balls 
->     About
->     About Inchworms

3) The monster attack IDs, which also line up with the Ancient Forest theory.

YESS!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who came up with this theory. You, sir, are awesome. You have my respect.  :D

On that note, I have made an attempt to mod it to be like that. I haven't got around to actually test it, though... The way I see it, the hardest part will be the coordinates. Everything else should work out just fine. Oh, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with the World Map -> Ancient Forest transition.  ???

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-26 22:04:45 »
Oh that forgot where i read this from but as far as i remember they first intended to use that bit as a mini-game or an additional story extender (whatever you call it) but they took it out for some reason, wish i knew more info on it, but yeah if someone here could put good use to that bit that would be awesome

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-27 03:40:28 »
Oh that forgot where i read this from but as far as i remember they first intended to use that bit as a mini-game or an additional story extender (whatever you call it) but they took it out for some reason, wish i knew more info on it, but yeah if someone here could put good use to that bit that would be awesome
I wish I knew what I was doing in Programming Logic Class when I was in school. Unfortunately, it made no sense to me. I think @sl1982 knows some good programmers here on this forum. Why don't you ask him for help, e1sunz?