Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008102 times)

WhiteShadow11

• You are free.
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3500 on: 2017-03-20 14:38:18 »
@tomume, Menu Overhaul is not available on R05, it ended on R03e if I am not mistaken.

If you are only using this mod R05 on Steam Version, you don't need to download Aali Driver or game converter ( this includes Aali Driver as well ).
Only if you use older mods or 7th Heaven Mods you will need convert.

tomume

• View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: 2017-03-20 17:58:29 »
thanks ! I played the game with an early release of the reunion and the menu overhaul was included.

Is it worth it to play with other mods ? I mean, what mods would you add to your game ? NPC models? Boss models? etc ?

Also, the steam version included better music, is it still worth it installing the anxious heart ?

Can I install the Waifu background along the reunion and without the game converter ?

thanks !

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: 2017-03-20 22:07:00 »
thanks ! I played the game with an early release of the reunion and the menu overhaul was included.

Is it worth it to play with other mods ? I mean, what mods would you add to your game ? NPC models? Boss models? etc ?

Also, the steam version included better music, is it still worth it installing the anxious heart ?

Can I install the Waifu background along the reunion and without the game converter ?

thanks !
Your best bet for backgrounds is to use the SweetFX CRT/scanline mod, if you don't want to convert. Stupidly enough, Waifu is made impossible thanks to the Steam version, you have to convert otherwise.

tomume

• View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: 2017-03-21 00:20:14 »
thanks !

Then, if I convert, how do I aplly the reunion patch on the converted version with 7 heaven ? (that way I have also the waifu)

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: 2017-03-21 00:40:02 »
thanks !

Then, if I convert, how do I aplly the reunion patch on the converted version with 7 heaven ? (that way I have also the waifu)

You have to convert it first, delete ff7_en.ex, then when running Reunion, it detects it as the Win 98 version. But beware, it conflicts with 7H's filter and removes it somehow.

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: 2017-03-21 08:09:34 »
Also, when the Cloud meets Aerith in the church, she simply asks "Say, I feel like talking. Are you up for it?"
Is this what was asked in the original script? It seems like a bizzare thing to ask, especially as she then goes to check her flowers. Is she meant to be asking Cloud if he is willing to wait around to continue their chat until after she has finished tending to the flowers?

That's what's said in Japanese, she immediately goes on to ask him to wait a second while she tends to the flowers, presumably to make sure they're all right after being crushed by cloud's gelled up spikes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: 2017-03-21 08:24:24 »
Yeah, that's right. She goes to tend to the flowers, and you then have to prompt her again.  It could be to show that she is preoccupied with the flowers.  Depends how a person reads the scene.  People do all sorts of odd things in real life or become distracted.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: 2017-03-24 13:31:47 »
So are you saying that the line is correct as it is? If so then I'm not going to ask you to change it and will just consider it another of Kazushige Nojima's errors. I can understand that he may have written it to show Aerith as being indicisive or quirky but it isn't a trait that she ever demonstrates again. It seems more likely that Nojima hadn't thought this aspect of the scene through.

EDIT: With the incorrect/original-names version of the retranslation, is Esto's name showing up as Esto rather than Ester?
« Last Edit: 2017-03-27 08:36:32 by Matski »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: 2017-03-25 14:20:19 »
I'll look into that. Cheers!  As far as the original line goes, seems it was intended.  So it will likely have to stay.  But I will revisit the scene again during walk thorough and see what's happening. 

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: 2017-03-26 15:16:11 »
I've noticed that several lines use 'different to' (Am I no different to these monsters, as an example).  While technically a valid English construction, most English speakers would use 'different than', since it's a comparative statement and that's basically what than is for as a word.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: 2017-03-26 15:27:08 »
Either is perfectly fine in a script.  You are probably right that formal writing would use 'than', but this argument is along the same lines of 'who' and 'whom'.  I'd expect Tifa and Cloud to use "who", but Hojo to use 'whom'.

I'll leave 'to' intact for the same reason. If the character has a more refined vocabulary, I'll use 'than'. Personally, I never hear 'than' in this context, but that's likely because I live in an inner city of the North West of England.

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: 2017-03-27 10:58:19 »
Yeah, this might be a British English/American English thing.  American English, even informally, would use 'than' as the comparative in sentences like this.  It's one of those things that's valid English but sounds a bit off to this American's ears.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: 2017-03-27 14:51:39 »
If it's an American v British thing, then I can add that as optional.  We'll see what Covarr says.

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: 2017-03-27 20:08:24 »
The Oxford dictionary people seem to agree that "different to" is much more common in British English than in American English. They also mention "different from" as the most common form though: Different from, than, or to?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: 2017-03-27 20:12:23 »
"Different than" is common in American English, but uncommon in British English.

"Different to" is common in British English, but uncommon in American English.

"Different from", to the best of my knowledge, is reasonably common in both, and what I would recommend for a translation that needs to work in both regions. A quick Google search backs me up, with several grammarians generally recommending this one in writing because of its wider acceptance.

Of course, exceptions need to be made for circumstances where one is obviously best. For example, "The house was different than I remembered," clearly couldn't be replaced with "to" or "from" and still make sense. But when given the choice, you should probably stick with "from."

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: 2017-03-27 20:13:51 »
Hi,
I'm playing with steam 1.09 but I can't make your menu overhaul to work. It just doesn't show up. (using r05).

Hmm. Do you mean model overhaul or menu enhancement? Menu enhancement worked fine for me with the Steam version and R05c. (I say "fine", it's still a bit glitchy in battles.)

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: 2017-03-27 20:47:35 »
OK! I'm back! I was going to put my findings into a database, but it just didn't seem worth it as there were so few.

Here they are (with repeats):

1. (Repeated) The two characters who use the phrase (one once, the other twice) "planetary bioscience". It sounded stilted and unnatural when I was playing. It was funny when the blue collar guy said it, but the woman inside (if I'm remembering correctly) saying it twice seemed odd. It'd be cool if there was another way of phrasing it for her.

2. (Repeated) I still think "What are you going to do about this grief?!" is uncharacteristically clunky, especially given the situation that Cloud is reacting to. He (and everyone else) would have been in shock. A more natural response might be "What are you going to do about all this pain you've caused?!". (See here for another change you said you liked, too: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.msg248701#msg248701)

3. The Icicle Inn is renamed to Icicle Lodge... but you can see a sign that says "Inn" in the game. Technically I guess that Lodge might refer to the whole area. Anyways, I'm just mentioning it, you don't need to comment on it.

4. This is a genuine bug: Red XIII's dialogue on the Highwind after defeating Hojo is broken or missing. There are a few instances where this happens.

5. I don't know why the Black Chocobo has been named "Invincible"? I thought he was literally going to be unbeatable, but I beat him several times during my playthrough. (Explained below.)

Edit:

6. Forgot to mention this one: Bahamut Zero is totally messed up and doesn't play correctly. (In the DB already.)

7. Despite the 60fps, there was lots of very jittery animation, and it wasn't slight. (I know this is mentioned in the DB, but the DB makes it sound more minor than I found it to be.)

8. I also saw lots of graphical corruption thanks to the transparent menu in battles. (Again, it's mentioned already, but I saw a lot of it.) Kind of wished the menu wasn't transparent after a while :-/

And, er, that's it! Not so many things really. (The only time I noticed poor placement of the dialogue boxes was during the flashback on the back of truck with Cloud and Zax.)

I didn't play with Beacause for the first chunk of the game, so it's possible there's more in the first half.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Apologies if the Red XIII dialogue is already in the bug DB.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-28 09:52:49 by ThunderPeel2001 »

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: 2017-03-27 22:34:39 »
Invincible is actually explained in the list of terms:  Teioh's Japanese name is a reference to the Donfang Bubai, a wuxia hero whose name translates to something like 'Invincible/Undefeated of the East'.  If you've ever seen G Gundam, Master Asia's title as the Undefeated of the East is a direct reference.  So 'Invincible'/'Undefeated' would be valid translations of the original Japanese, and Invincible sounds a little better as a name for a racing chocobo.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: 2017-03-28 04:11:34 »
Plus it is familiar name in the FF franchise. If I remember right it's the name of the ship in FF3.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: 2017-03-28 09:42:58 »
Invincible is actually explained in the list of terms:  Teioh's Japanese name is a reference to the Donfang Bubai, a wuxia hero whose name translates to something like 'Invincible/Undefeated of the East'.  If you've ever seen G Gundam, Master Asia's title as the Undefeated of the East is a direct reference.  So 'Invincible'/'Undefeated' would be valid translations of the original Japanese, and Invincible sounds a little better as a name for a racing chocobo.

Ahhhh!

Edit: That's actually in the DB. Oops.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-28 09:47:39 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: 2017-03-28 10:30:33 »
Originally, I used "Dongfang Bubai" as that is what the chocobo is called.  But a Japanese person has the luxury of seeing both the meaning and the name. Kind of.  It seems only right that we call it "Invincible", given that's the meaning. And a localization people will understand. When we call a horse "destroyer" or "champion", we obviously do not mean it literally. Same with Invincible. As also noted, it works even better that a ship has been called it in FF3  (and 9?).

The Icicle Inn is renamed to Icicle Lodge... but you can see a sign that says "Inn" in the game.

It is definitely lodge. The kana is unmistakable. Plus a whole village would never be called an "inn", as it would make no sense at all. The sign "inn" is probably definitely pointing to an actual inn in the village. It's outside the inn. Lodge is in English, so there is no localization really required.  On the other hand, "Honey Bee Inn" used Kanji and the building itself is clearly not an "inn".

アイシクルロッジ > Aishiku rurojji > Icicle Lodge

蜜蜂の館 > Honeybee Manor / House / Hall.

This is in the Reunion Database.  When the entries are blue or orange, they are extremely likely correct and won't be changed.

7. Despite the 60fps, there was lots of very jittery animation, and it wasn't slight. (I know this is mentioned in the DB, but the DB makes it sound more minor than I found it to be.)

There is no level of good or bad in the RDB.  If they are there, then they are bugs that need fixing.

As for the Red dialogue, I don't think it's been mentioned before.  I am not sure how that could occur if you used a fresh game with the installer here.  It's usually caused by mixing mods as the windows don't get properly resized.  But it's also possible that it's my fault or touphScript's fault.  I will definitely check this. I am not sure why others have not mentioned this, if it's a problem.

« Last Edit: 2017-03-28 11:09:59 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: 2017-03-28 12:49:56 »
Cool.

As for the Red dialogue, I don't think it's been mentioned before.  I am not sure how that could occur if you used a fresh game with the installer here.  It's usually caused by mixing mods as the windows don't get properly resized.  But it's also possible that it's my fault or touphScript's fault.  I will definitely check this. I am not sure why others have not mentioned this, if it's a problem.

I have no other mods installed, and it was the only time in tens of hours of playing that I saw any issue, so I'm fairly sure it's a Reunion thing. Be interesting to see if it's been overlooked.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: 2017-03-28 12:57:36 »
Did you use the fixed name option?  Because if you did, you also need to make sure that the name for Red XIII is just "Red". The naming screen should have defaulted to "Red" when this option was chosen.  If it didn't, that's a fault on my side. But this is very likely the issue here.  You'd probably see this problem in many more dialogue boxes with his name.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: 2017-03-30 00:11:02 »
Ah. Well I switched to Beacause about a third through my game, so that may be why. I guess his name isn't mentioned too many times by the other characters so I didn't notice before.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: 2017-03-30 05:08:57 »
Did you use the fixed name option?  Because if you did, you also need to make sure that the name for Red XIII is just "Red".
If you can't disable the name screen entirely, it's probably best not to require him to have a certain name. This sort of user behavior is all kinds of not enforceable.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.