Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1251650 times)

freshness82

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Menu Overhaul Project
« Reply #1400 on: 2012-09-09 21:49:46 »
Hey guys! I've run into a bit of a snag. I've been slowly playing through the game for the first time with mods, and I finally reached the shinra safe where the safe numbers were cut off. I finally got past that issue after combing through the threads for awhile and found a lot of the Q and A regarding that particular issue, but my translation has changed, and I cannot for the life of me find, or figure out how to get it back to what I started with.

For example, before I started working on fixing the safe issue, my save file said I was in the "Nibel" area, and now says "Nibl," "elemental" materia has been changed to "force," "Fire" is now "Flame," "Cure2" is now "Cura," etc. etc.

I've tried just about every combination I can think of with the latest MO installer from this thread, and I can't seem to get it back to what it was. I've tried replacing my ff7.exe with the original, then adding the 1.02 patch over that, blowing out the "backup-dlpb" folder, replacing my flevel.lgp file in my field folder with a fresh file from the CD, THEN re-running the installer and de-selecting the translation project all together, and it doesn't seem to fix it. I'm starting to wonder if its some kind of a cacheing issue, but I've blown away every cache folder I can find as well. Is there another LGP file I need to replace to the original, or some file I'm missing?

I don't think the re-translations are necessarily bad, but up until this point I've gotten so used to how everything was already, its really jarring with everything named differently. Can anyone give me the right options to get the text back to how I've had it initially? Or if it was that way because of certain options I choose from the re-translation from a previous install, or what?

Any advice, links to solutions, processes, would be immensely appreciated! Thanks in advance!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: 2012-09-09 22:03:55 »
The change to names are part of retranslation project, which is how the game should have been (which you must have selected), the safe problem is documented elsewhere, use search.

Run the installer again without the translation option to restore settings.  And read the readme in future. Do not use bootleg for the above.  Run this installer.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-09 22:06:10 by DLPB »

freshness82

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: 2012-09-09 22:09:52 »
Like I said, the safe problem is a non issue, and as I said, I already found the answers, BY SEARCHING. I shouldn't have even brought that part up, the real issue is the re-translation, which I can't seem to get rid of. I love everything else about the overhaul, I just can't seem to get back to the original translation, even after replacing all my files and then running the MO installer again, AND deselectiong every part of the re-tranlsation. So at this point, I'm just trying to figure out if there is a file I havnt yet deleted or replaced to then be able to re run the installer, deselect translation, and have it back to normal?

In a nutshell:
- start with translation problem
-original exe was replaced with exe from install CD
-exe patched to 1.02
-flevel.lgp in "field" replaced with clean flevel from CD
-BACKUP-dlpb folder deleted
-cache folder in root deleted
-cahce folder in mods/DK was deleted
-MO re-installed AND deselected re-translation
-translation problem persists

? - where did I go wrong?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: 2012-09-09 22:29:07 »
You deleted the backup folder, where all your original files were.  Now you need to start over by getting the original files off the ff7 disc. Had you just run the installer again and unticked translation, it all would have gone fine.  It is too late now since your original untouched files are GONE.

Read the readme in future (and read it again now to learn which files you need to bring back).  To uninstall/reinstall you have to use the installer first, not delete the backup folder.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-09 22:31:43 by DLPB »

freshness82

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: 2012-09-09 23:15:58 »
I was totally at fault on that one, and I appreciate you making that edit to your post. I went through the readme from the installer much more carefully this time and replaced all mentioned files and everything is back to normal, minus a few needed tweaks to the world-us file again, but thats no big thing.

Problem fixed, and sorry for the frustration. I really try not to ask for help unless I really can't figure it out on my own, and your little nudge in the right direction cleared it up. So thank you again for that! I'll quietly disappear again..

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1405 on: 2012-09-10 02:13:02 »
I was totally at fault on that one, and I appreciate you making that edit to your post. I went through the readme from the installer much more carefully this time and replaced all mentioned files and everything is back to normal, minus a few needed tweaks to the world-us file again, but thats no big thing.

Problem fixed, and sorry for the frustration. I really try not to ask for help unless I really can't figure it out on my own, and your little nudge in the right direction cleared it up. So thank you again for that! I'll quietly disappear again..

Don't disappear. There are constantly new or updated releases. Be apart of the community :)

freshness82

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: 2012-09-10 02:46:50 »
@EQ2Alyza No worries there, I think I check these forums around 20 times during the day since I started modding, at least. More so meant, disappear quietly from frustrating DLPB. No one likes to be "that guy/girl with all the annoying questions." At least I try not to be! =)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: 2012-09-11 03:23:35 »
So I took Kranmer up on his challenge to make menu overhaul work entirely from a dll and from memory changes.  Sounds easy?  Just convert values from exe to mem yes?

No.

I must've been on drugs when I changed half of this shit.  I was using some modified ff7.exe and so a lot of these values are simply in the way and worthless.  The game simply won't load trying to change these at run time.

Luckily, I think I know the range I have to get rid of!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: 2012-09-11 04:04:09 »
I was replacing the ENTIRE .rdata section of the exe for no reason at all.  Dear lord.  Slashed the values edited from 12591 to 7808 and the game now loads the values into memory without a hitch.

edit.  A few hundred more have been culled.

There is 1 problem left but I can't trace it yet.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-11 07:13:42 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: 2012-09-12 04:33:58 »
Good news:  Menu Overhaul M06 will support memory only editing, meaning no more FF7.exe editing. 

Good news 2:  I located the problem.  When I was using that dodgy exe before (which everyone who uses this mod will now have (since M005 changes the normal 1.02 into dodgy 1.02) it changed a lot of entries in the .rdata section of the exe.  1 of those is a floating point value that is used in menu text formatting.  This code starts 006f55c8.

fmul dword ptr [007B7CF8] 

This picks up the floating point value default is  55 55 d5 3f (1.67).  Dodgy 1.02 has it as 00 00 00 40 (2.0). 

Bad News:  I worked the menu overhaul around the dodgy 1.02 value... so if I don't change it, it means changing 20 odd other values to get it back to where it should be.  It IS possible that at some stage I altered that 1 value... but I certainly didnt alter the rest!

So now it is question time.  What the hell is this 1.02 I have here?  Why is the rdata section altered?  Where did I even pick this thing up from???? And what was I smoking when I made all those patches with this junk in there?  I will upload the rdata section later on and see if any of you can work it out for me.

edit.

I changed the value above so that's more good news because I know where I am now.  It is the scaling value for text, and originally the menu used smaller text than dialogue so was scaled down.  I am using same font size for both so had to change menu to be 2.0 like dialogue.  That still doesn't answer why this exe is completely different structure wise too.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-12 04:44:44 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: 2012-09-12 04:43:00 »
Bad news: Memory editing will trigger the heuristic detection in most of the shittier antivirus software around. MSE and NOD32 should probably be okay, but you will get a huge increase in support requests from people using Norton and AVG.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: 2012-09-12 04:45:27 »
That's just tough luck I guess :)  I have made this so that dep won't have an issue at least and I am not sure how aali has implemented his dll support.  It may treat the memory edit as benign.

Alby87

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: 2012-09-12 05:31:56 »
Good news:  Menu Overhaul M06 will support memory only editing, meaning no more FF7.exe editing. 

May I ask a question? So it means that M06 will work with a spanish/italian FF7.exe?

If not, it's possible to load the values from spanish ff7.exe and place in english ff7.exe with toughscript? Thank you :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: 2012-09-12 05:51:02 »
The only way to get foreign games working with this is for them to be manually edited into ff7.exe and using ts.  Menu Overhaul does not support foreign games and won't do for a while.   Blame Square porting team who decided to code and implement different exes for each language.

See the game converter thread.

falsomail

• Excuse my English (Hablo español) I speak Spanish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: 2012-09-12 22:57:15 »
Hello, is it possible to apply this mod and play it in Spanish?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: 2012-09-12 23:41:07 »
Did you read the post above yours?  :o

falsomail

• Excuse my English (Hablo español) I speak Spanish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: 2012-09-13 01:49:17 »
I really do not speak English, and more than a question of mine, is someone who asked me preuguntara the forum, and I'm too lazy to actually read both xD
Sorry if it bothers you, you may or may not play this mod in Spanish? applies to the "new" version of square ff7 pc?
Apologize one more time.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1417 on: 2012-09-13 04:19:23 »
It does not work with the Spanish version.

It may work after this: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13419.0

Keep an eye on it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: 2012-09-13 05:00:13 »
There is little point asking a question if you cannot understand the reply.  Perhaps someone can translate the above for you.

DEFIANT

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: 2012-09-13 18:20:30 »
How do I use the re-translated dialog but keep the usa localized items, spells, ect.
Forgive my ignorance but I poured over the faq and pages but could not find an answer.

I only want the re-translated dialog, no other changes. Is this possible?

And just to point out If I was new to the whole magic scheme of final fantasy (this isn't going to go over well but I just have to point it out)

How is blizzard, blizzara, blizzaga...ect (and other spells of this nature)
...better than ice, ice2, ice3? (and other spells of this nature)

I can easily point out higher numbers, stronger magic or next versions with the latter. Also ice is a basic, descriptive word and the opposite of fire. Blizzard is an atmospheric condition. Thunder is the sound that lightning makes, lightning or bolt would be much better identification don't you think?
If I wasn't already familiar with Japanese versions of said magic I'd be a little confused. But as you are already aware it's just nitpicking I suppose.

Case in point: http://clockworkbard.com/ff-spell-names-rant/

But it's your conversion and I totally respect it, but my logic won't let me be till I pointed it out. Hope that doesn't burn my chances of getting help.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-13 23:51:00 by DEFIANT »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: 2012-09-14 00:59:07 »
The spells are part of the translation.  It would be pointless creating a translation project and then letting you use the original spell names, wouldn't it?

I left character names and canon items in only as a concession and these can be accessed from the installer.

To answer that blog's question, they are japanese quirks for noting differences between the spell strengths (ru-ra-ga-ja).  Ru can be ignored (actually I am sure I heard it was part of Japanese grammar, but Luksy will explain). And to me, they sound better than Bolt 1 and Bolt 2 etc.  If you want to create your own then use Wallmarket and name them yourself.  It is easy to remember the order.  It is 3 suffixes.  Ra-Ga-Ja  surely you can remember that?

FF7 did not iron it out, it ignored the Japanese.  8 and later titles did not.  A localisation is well within its rights to use numbers but it looks and sounds crap to me and moreover, the Japanese don't use number for them. As for Thunder, Japanese has no th, so it has to use s (like aerith does), which is why it comes out in kana as sounding totally wrong.  Japanese people do not scream "wtf is kearu"  they know it is Cure because it is kana for cure (at least it can be).  Just like Desu is Death and Behiimosu is Behemoth. They understand their own language and English.  FF7 is largely in English converted to kana.  Kana is just symbols that make a sound.  The sound in this case is the English words.  Like Barrett being Baretto.

Also  サンダー
sandaa

Not sando.  aa is the er part.  Sand is Thund.  I am not sure why sa and not su, that's one for Luksy, but bottom line is it is simply kana for Thunder.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJH_wU1qqN4dHBMSk9PUDZWVWdVaENobzBkSXlhVFE#gid=0
Read that.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C
Use that.

サンダー (n) thunder
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 01:20:12 by DLPB »

Akira Sendoh

• I don't want to be a Goodman,I want to be a Great1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: 2012-09-14 14:07:30 »
Why change the name of the character?
For example ..
Elena Change to Yrena ..
Zack Change to Zax ..
Reno Change to Leno ..

Can anyone know how to fix this problem ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: 2012-09-14 14:21:13 »
Why change the name of the character?
For example ..
Elena Change to Yrena ..
Zack Change to Zax ..
Reno Change to Leno ..

Can anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Why change it?  Because you clicked Retranslation option.  Do you know what a retranslation is?  The character names are WRONG.  So they got CHANGED.  You can put them back to how they were by reading the readme and by using the installer.  The fanboy option is for you.

Akira Sendoh

• I don't want to be a Goodman,I want to be a Great1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: 2012-09-14 14:23:49 »
Why change it?  Because you clicked Retranslation option.  Do you know what a retranslation is?  The character names are WRONG.  So they got CHANGED.  You can put them back to how they were by reading the readme and by using the installer.  The fanboy option is for you.

Ohh sorry .. i did wrong :)
So all i have to do is reinstall MenuOverhaul
And Click Original Names by Fanboy ?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-14 14:29:53 by Yuffie Kisaragi »

DEFIANT

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: 2012-09-14 14:32:44 »
I thank you for explanation and info DLPB, and by no means think you are wrong. It was just more of a mechanical design flaw then translation one for me. I can Identify numbers faster than letters.

Since FF8 I had to relearn the spell names, I have since committed them to memory. Please continue and don't mind me. If at some point would you add the original spell names as an option? For now I will edit them to my liking. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry to bother you, Carry on.