Author Topic: How in the world is this possible! Solve the mystery!  (Read 7260 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaOIR0ri3F8&NR=1

How IN THE WORLD are the wheels not moving. Ive studied this video for like 10 minutes now and can see no reasonable solution.

One guy in the comments said that the wheels could be doing 25 rotations per second ecactly, and if thats what the camera records at then the result would be non-moving wheels. But come on, what are the odds of the wheels moving at the precise speed of the camera for the entire video

I also see no ways how something like this could be faked. Care to solve the mystery?

EDIT: I studied the shadows and it seemed that when it comes back into the light you can see movement in the shadows.
My wife then pointed out the bolts/rivets on the tire rim. At the very end you can see them spinning on the rim, as if the rim is turning and the tire is not... Freaky.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-07 01:15:29 by jeffdamann »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: How in the world is this possible! Solve the mystery!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-07 01:19:46 »
Obvious stop motion is obvious.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-07 01:24:24 »
but the rims are clearly turning at the end... and how would you get the wheels to be EXACT every frame? I mean thing of what kind of awesome coordination would be needed to pick the 4 wheeler up and turn the wheels backwards for every inch and frame that they move it?

I fail to see stop motion doing this.. Its looks to perfect, even stop motion professionals cant make it look PERFECT

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-07 01:30:35 »
Double wheeled, the big tires are kept stationary, there's a smaller tire inside around the wheel.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-07 01:36:27 »
That might explain the two wheels facing the camera, but you can clearly see upon studying the video that this isnt the case with the two wheels away from the camera.

Plus there are several other videos of it driving regularly.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-07 02:26:28 »
If you look at the #2 video they look cgi.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-07 02:48:03 »
just the way the video was recorded. i don't think any tricks are involved though it does look pretty cool. Think when you watch other cars driving on the highway, sometimes it looks like the rims are spinning backwards.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-07 04:17:44 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwmtwZLG88

...you can't explain that. (I actually can)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-07 11:22:11 »
NFITC1, I would be interested in your explanation.

On a side note, if you have the same issue I have / had with YouTube videos (videos staying as a black box, no play button available), you just need to add a "s" after http in the url so the link becomes https://.

Apparently it's not a problem on your end, but on YouTube's, since many people with many different hardware and software configurations have the same issue.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-07 11:27:16 by Armorvil »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-07 13:19:58 »
NFITC1, I would be interested in your explanation.

The explanation is in the description (or maybe the comments) and I think it's perfectly valid. What's happening is that the camera records video in rows of pixels top-to-bottom. The propeller is moving so fast that by the time a row of pixels has been saved to a frame, the propeller has moved to a new position. When the next row has been captured the propeller has rotated. So row 1 has the propeller at, say, 5 degrees, while row two has it at 17 or more. Most "good" digital video recorders have a high rate of recording, but a plane's propellers just happens to be just faster than that.

On a side note, if you have the same issue I have / had with YouTube videos (videos staying as a black box, no play button available), you just need to add a "s" after http in the url so the link becomes https://.

Apparently it's not a problem on your end, but on YouTube's, since many people with many different hardware and software configurations have the same issue.

I've been having that problem lately. It is a YouTube thing.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-07 13:40:30 »
Possibly in the seconds before the video begins, he was flying down the road and slammed on the breaks.  The video might just show him skidding to a stop. 

-PitBrat

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-07 15:46:28 »
Haven't read any comments but isn't it just a  case of the camera frame rate making it look like wheels aren't moving?

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-08 01:30:55 »
Haven't read any comments but isn't it just a  case of the camera frame rate making it look like wheels aren't moving?
that would be my guess not all  video cameras record at 25 fps only PAL ones do. infact based on the location the video is shot the local FPS (NTSC-U) camera would be 29.95 FPS assuming its analog. its possible that the tires rotate at that speed. BUT the most likley this video is filmed on a digital camera or a cell phone. as you may know if you screw w/ your settings those devices usually allow for a varitey of FPS to capture. and it does not even have to be at the tires rpm it could be at any multiple of it the fps (ie. Tire rpm = 40 RPM and FPS = 10) that should apear not to spin also. this does not count the insane number of ways you can try to fake it.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-08 12:47:34 »

This would be my instinct. I don't know how hard that is to pull off in practice, though.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-09 03:04:30 »
its probably just the fps lining up with the tire rotation.. however as to the comment about stop motion not possible to be perfect... sure it can! just takes  along time... i'd vouch the AT-AT snow fight in empire strikes back... the AT-ATs were stop motioned!

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-09 05:23:25 »