Author Topic: Final Fantasy 11: from highly anticipated game to junk  (Read 17060 times)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Final Fantasy 11: from highly anticipated game to junk
« Reply #50 on: 2002-06-19 04:00:11 »
Well, my cable modem doesn't require any configuration to work.  It's full DHCP, you just plug in and go.  I'm positive it'll work with my Gamecube, once there are online games :-p.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2002-06-20 00:22:07 »
SqaureSoft really annoy me. They only release FFXI for the Pc cause they know it will make money. No FFX for the fans on the Pc. No screw them they say. Notice how FFXI Pc is comming out a few weeks after the Ps2 version. We had to wait ages for VII/VIII Psx-Pc...

Squaresoft really are doing a lot of things that annoy me lately. Possible sequal of FFX? BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #52 on: 2002-06-20 02:22:31 »
Aaron - linksys etherfast?

im using my XP 1900+ machine as my 'router'

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2002-06-20 14:48:43 »
Aaron - linksys etherfast?

Hmm... I currently have no plans to use an Etherfast router or any other kind.  I'll be using my computer as the router (Internet Connection Sharing).  This has a few advantages...

- No firewall or any connection restrictions on the "gateway" machine (well this could be a disadvantage if you want a firewall).
 - Um... I don't have to pay for the router.

However, the rest of the machines can only access the internet when the "gateway" machine is on, but that doesn't matter much, because it's almost always on.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
« Reply #54 on: 2002-06-21 16:56:46 »
Quote from: Sir Canealot
SqaureSoft really annoy me. They only release FFXI for the Pc cause they know it will make money. No FFX for the fans on the Pc. No screw them they say. Notice how FFXI Pc is comming out a few weeks after the Ps2 version. We had to wait ages for VII/VIII Psx-Pc...

Squaresoft really are doing a lot of things that annoy me lately. Possible sequal of FFX? BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

People say that the reason FFX won't come to PC is that the PC can't handle the motion blur & if they made it, the image quality would drop.

Bullsh!t!

On my now peice 'o shite system (same one I've used for so long, it's just out of date) I ran Grand Theif Auto III with motion blur & I didn't have a problem. The graphics in it actually look BETTER than the PS2 version.

This is proof enough for me that it is possible to convert FFX to PC without any problems.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #55 on: 2002-06-21 17:45:09 »
I don't know if people in general say that, but I've mentioned it as a possible partial explanation for the non-existance of a PC port. Also, GTA3's motion blur is quite different in how it's created, modifying FFX to use this system takes a looooong time. Also, the other PS2 effects aren't as easy to emulate on a PC, such as the "refraction" or "lens" effects. But anyway, I'm guessing the primary reason is that even though most stuff can be converted with a lot of work, Square is worried (with reason) that the costs will outweigh any profit.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #56 on: 2002-06-21 17:49:31 »
actually canealot, there will be 2 ffx sequels.

Barawulf

« Reply #57 on: 2002-06-26 20:47:19 »
Qhimm's right, when it comes to the bottom line.

I still think that someone, somewhere (perhaps even me) should organize a snail mail campaign. In fact, with The two sequels.... they could do some serious milking with a PC version (what, 50-60 for each?). If they were nice and knew what they were really doing, they'd make the sequels "expansion packs" to the main game, requiring the main game (So everyone who's played FFX on the PS2 and wants the sequels on the PC is a bit out of luck... but that's money and marketing for you)

Anyway, back on topic to FFXI.

FFXI is online. This is not condusive to the series. I totally agree. But here's my philosophy, in a timeline format:

1 - Release for the PC
2 - Couple months pass
3 - Someone makes a server emulator

At which time, someone should make a pack for such a server to, while using the same engine, turn FFXI offline. Most everything's there already. (locations, music, etc.)  The tricky part is only scripting NPCs and party members. As well as basing a story on/scripting a story for the FFXI world.

Wishful musings of a crazy fan...

Wulf

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2002-07-04 16:16:36 »
Stay tuned! :-p

Thought I might follow up.

I got my WUSB11's yesterday and they work absolutely perfectly.  The signal strength is very strong, even with the computers on opposite ends of my house.  Shared internet connection works fine, so I don't have to buy a WAP or anything.  Shared printers is nice too.

Have yet to test and see if it reaches next-door...

Definately recommend these things to anyone considering a wireless network.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2002-07-16 11:36:17 »
Wtf? No, no, no, no. I bet there not having much trouble porting FFXI to the Pc so Square could go ahead with a Pc port of FFX when ever they like. They'd have to port all the advanced effects over to T&L yes but I'm betting that would be pretty easy with GF3+ card. The motion blur might be a problem but its be proved to be possible with a lot of other Ps2 ports (the only ones that come to mind now is Gta3 and Soul Reaver 2..) and keep in mind that mini sequal to Mgs2 is comming to the Pc.

Square are just being bastards about it....