Author Topic: Big Mysteries of FF7 & More v2  (Read 51760 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Big Mysteries of FF7 & More v2
« Reply #100 on: 2010-11-10 08:47:26 »
Rufus died.  :-D

FF7 has become a bit like FF4.  Half the characters that were killed off were brought back to life.

FF7 examples: Rufus, Tseng, Hojo, Genesis... oh, and Sephiroth.

FF4 examples: Virtually the whole cast...

Tseng was never dead, that was a translation error (corrected in PC) :)

I don't remember what it said in relation to that (PSX or PC)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2010-11-10 09:05:59 »
In PSX game, it was wrongly translated as Tseng being killed (when you talk to Scarlet in Icicle Lodge).  In PC game, it is corrected to him merely being beaten up/injured. 

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #102 on: 2010-11-10 11:40:13 »
FF7 has become a bit like FF4.  Half the characters that were killed off were brought back to life.

FF7 examples: Rufus, Tseng, Hojo, Genesis... oh, and Sephiroth.

FF4 examples: Virtually the whole cast...

Who is Genesis?  ??? Sega Genesis?

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2010-11-10 13:29:03 »
Genesis is in Crisis Core as the main villain. Used to have rivalry issues with Sephiroth back in SOLDIER.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #104 on: 2010-11-10 23:08:47 »
Ha, I never knew FFVII PSX said Tseng was dead, I guess I figured he was alive when he says, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." 

Why doesn't Cloud give a crap when you stumble upon certain things in the world?
-Gast's and Ilfalna's home an those videos
-The notes/letters/books all over Nibelheim.  He has a bit to say to the cloaked figures and actors, but why not when he finds a letter that explains the whole Nibelheim Incident?!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2010-11-11 16:18:56 »
Ha, I never knew FFVII PSX said Tseng was dead, I guess I figured he was alive when he says, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." 

Why doesn't Cloud give a crap when you stumble upon certain things in the world?
-Gast's and Ilfalna's home an those videos
-The notes/letters/books all over Nibelheim.  He has a bit to say to the cloaked figures and actors, but why not when he finds a letter that explains the whole Nibelheim Incident?!

Because that is for our benefit, not his ;)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2010-11-11 19:18:35 »
Poor Cloud, always getting the shitty end of the stick.  Yet, this poor emotionally disturbed young man with amnesia and no living family is apparently the most powerful individual in all of Gaia.  Sephiroth just has a delayed Final Attack=Revive.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2010-11-12 11:53:25 »
I've been wondering something. When was it ever mentioned that The Planet was called Gaia? The only time I've ever heard that was on a quiz on the Dirge of Cerbreus website 4 years ago.

The in game files call the Gaea cliffs Gaia1,Gaia2 but that's not very reliable...

It's never said by any of the Characters, so where did it come from?

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2010-11-12 13:42:59 »
It was never in FF7, it's something that was attributed later. It's mentioned only as The Planet in 7, but it's called Gaia in AC.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2010-11-12 17:13:58 »
I thought that the planet being called Gaia was embedded in the FF series.  Does Ilfalna maybe say the planet's name?  I can't help but think that I knew it was called Gaia long before any post-FFVII references existed, although I can't cite anything specifically...

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2010-11-12 18:37:35 »
I read somewhere that the gaia cliff was mistranslated into gaeas.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2010-11-13 17:47:43 »
I read somewhere that the Gaia cliff was mistranslated into gaeas.

It was, but the planet is always referred to as "The Planet", it did not have a name in the original game.  The cliff is named Gaia as far as I am aware.

Gaia Cliff is not the same as "Cliff of Planet Gaia", so it depends how the name is meant:

Gaea's Cliff > ガイアの絶壁 > Gaia Cliff

That seems to be a cliff called Gaia?

As far as I can see, nowhere else in the game is Gaia even mentioned.  Then again, Gaia and Terra are used in FF9 as names for planets, and it is at least possible.  I will check.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-13 17:53:47 by DLPB »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2010-11-13 17:57:53 »

Both Gaea and Gaia are perfectly acceptable in English. The latter is more common, but they're both accepted transliterations of Γαία. Where this is the case, it's best to stick with the original, unless you're changing things just for the sake of it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2010-11-13 18:05:20 »

Both Gaea and Gaia are perfectly acceptable in English. The latter is more common, but they're both accepted transliterations of Γαία. Where this is the case, it's best to stick with the original, unless you're changing things just for the sake of it.

I don't have an issue with that.  I will go with whichever is more commonly rendered, regardless of what was used originally.  Which is more commonly used?
« Last Edit: 2010-11-13 18:07:29 by DLPB »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2010-11-13 18:29:33 »

I don't have an issue with that.  I will go with whichever is more commonly rendered, regardless of what was used originally.  Which is more commonly used?

It's hard to say. A Google search is useless because Gaia Online skews the results massively. However, as I said, there's no good reason to change an already acceptable translation. Would you change Rune Blade to Rune Sword just because sword is a more common word than blade?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2010-11-13 18:33:04 »
if it was called a rune sword, yes :P

But, what are the origins of the word "gaia"  why are there different spellings?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2010-11-13 18:42:46 »
But, what are the origins of the word "gaia"  why are there different spellings?

Greek word for Earth. Also a goddess.

There are two spellings because the Romans transliterated it as Gaea due to the fact that "ae" in Latin makes the same sound as "αι" in Greek. In English, both "ae" and "ai" can make that sound; some people prefer "ai" because it's a more literal transliteration, others prefer "ae" because Latin transliterations are seen as having a better pedigree.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2010-11-13 20:31:03 »

Greek word for Earth. Also a goddess.

There are two spellings because the Romans transliterated it as Gaea due to the fact that "ae" in Latin makes the same sound as "αι" in Greek. In English, both "ae" and "ai" can make that sound; some people prefer "ai" because it's a more literal transliteration, others prefer "ae" because Latin transliterations are seen as having a better pedigree.

Cheers, I will think about that :)