Author Topic: Hardest games you've ever played?  (Read 50610 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest games you've ever played?
« Reply #100 on: 2011-06-21 19:38:46 »
The conclusion is that all FF games are easy as hell, but have options for those who wants a challenge. +battle toads for the nes is hard.

Yeah and for something which wouldn't take them THAT long, they really really should add that option.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2011-06-22 17:42:43 »
Yeah and for something which wouldn't take them THAT long, they really really should add that option.

You'd be surprised how hard it could be. Look at Crisis Core: they slapped a "hard" mode onto it, raising the HP and stats of all the enemies. It was a complete mess. For RPGs, adding difficulty modes isn't as easy as you'd think.

--------

Looking back at this topic makes me wonder. Did I get a different copy of FF9 from everyone else? I remember finishing it in a few days and never encountering any serious problems. I can't remember any enemies besides Ozma giving me trouble, and I'm someone who usually gets a lot of Game Overs the first time I play a game.

Or maybe it was the UK that got the special "easy" versions. I remember quite a few letters to the editor in PlayStation magazines back then about the game being too easy, even by FF standards, so I couldn't have been the only one that thought this.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2011-06-22 17:55:03 »
dont think ff9 was changed ....  and ozma was only thing that really gave me an issue tbh (oh and ark).  The game was made that way for the excalibur II quest.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2011-06-22 18:05:09 »
dont think ff9 was changed

I wasn't being serious.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2011-06-22 18:16:49 »
 :o  I usually get sarcasm :P  One brit to another and all....

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2011-06-23 01:51:23 »
When I think about difficulty when it comes to games I think mostly about balance.  Balance is really hard to achieve in games because there are different types of players....its hard to find a game that will satisfy both a grinder and someone who would want to quickly pace through the story.

For me I really like when a game makes me utilize as many different characters, techniques, and items as possible.  I hate going through a game and finding things I never had a use for.  With this in mind I really liked FFX in that it made every character useful in some scenario.  The only problem that with the presence of Aeons that were far superior to most enemies that really didn't always have to be a strategy.  Of course Aeons could be one hit KOed in some situations but you could still pull off an overdrive which did substantial damage.  I enjoyed the pacing of that game for the most part and found some bosses who were decent however this game suffers the flaw of all of the final fantasy games since 5...you can without too much difficulty become extremely overpowered before the final encounter.

Now FFX did a decent job with making extremly annoying minigames but when you consider that if you go into the final encounter with normal leveling, doing no sidequests and the boss is really nothing to brag about, it puts it in perspective when in just a few hours you can kill him in two hits if you grind and do a couple sidequests.  I like the added challenge of optional bosses but IMO the last encounter should be the most difficult in the game.  And even Nemesis is not really that much to brag about as has already been stated in this thread. 

If the game lets you get powerful in this way, it should allow you a way to test that power, and it should be able to balance that power in a way that cannot be easily exploitable(i.e quick attack over and over, counter/mime or any other crazy materia combination, the holy war item)

With all that being said, one of the most difficult and rewarding games I remember playing was Final Fantasy Tactics.  You could grind in the game, and it was helpful to do so but the game curved that a bit by making enemies in random encounters scale with your level, and you would eventually not have the equipment to scale with the level of your opponent, making battles more difficult.  I only wish Orlandu wouldn't have been so OP.   

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2011-06-23 09:12:48 »
There is no way a final boss could ever be the most difficult....  everyone would be angry at that and some people don't want to spend their lives playing the game or grinding.  It is common sense that the hardest be optional, that's the way it is in virtually every rpg I have played.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #107 on: 2011-06-23 11:54:03 »
FF10 and FF9 definitely had the MOST FRUSTRATING minigames EVER CREATED.
FF9 street racing? Holy shit I got SCARRS FROM THE BLISTERS RUBBING THE BUTTONS ON THE PAD
FF9 springrope jumping? This makes FF10's lightning evading look like silly bullshit
FF10 Butterfly race? jesus christ the randomness -_-
FF10 Lightning evasion? Not anywhere as bad as the springrope jumping in FF9 but HORRIBAD still
FF10 Chocobo Race? SEAGULL IN YOUR FACE MAN. I actually ate-destroyed a pad in rage because I finished at exact 0.0 and I needed -0.1

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2011-06-23 21:20:56 »
There is no way a final boss could ever be the most difficult....  everyone would be angry at that and some people don't want to spend their lives playing the game or grinding.  It is common sense that the hardest be optional, that's the way it is in virtually every rpg I have played.

I can understand that.  I just wish in that case they would make you finish the main game first before you could become OP. 

However...when thinking about the multidisk games in particularly FF7, the final disk just really has the final boss that you have to do.  For them to make 2 disks filled with story driven events just to have a 3rd disk with just the final dungeon feels empty to me.  Even the optional more difficult content really isn't a substantial amount of gameplay.  In this scenario the game kind of lets you do everything else you want to do before the final dungeon, but if you do that then you are easily OP. 

I also think that if the weapons are more powerful than Sephiroth...why do you even have to fight him?  They could just kill him easily.  For that reason also I feel that the final boss should be the most difficult.  I guess its just preference, though.

FF10 Chocobo Race? SEAGULL IN YOUR FACE MAN. I actually ate-destroyed a pad in rage because I finished at exact 0.0 and I needed -0.1

I remember doing this on my last playthrough and I got a really low time on one of the beginning levels, and I had to beat that time to get the item which was even harder as the first time was a lucky one, lol

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2011-06-24 01:37:56 »
Toughest games for me, top of my list is chrono cross (XP pukeface)
Just got so annoying and boring at a certain point. Which as close as I can guess is about a 3rd of the way through the game. I also hated the elemental system. Only thing I liked was the concept of switching between two timelines and seeing changes of events and solving puzzles by bringing things over the dimensions. And the Jester girl.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2011-06-24 05:10:25 »
Street Fighter IV trials are hard too, if you don't use rapid fire/pause trick.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #111 on: 2011-06-24 11:54:58 »
FF9 street racing? Holy sh*t I got SCARRS FROM THE BLISTERS RUBBING THE BUTTONS ON THE PAD
FF9 springrope jumping? This makes FF10's lightning evading look like silly bullsh*t
FF10 Lightning evasion? Not anywhere as bad as the springrope jumping in FF9 but HORRIBAD still

90% of all FF minigames are, imho, nonsensical, boring or way too tedious (or a mix). It's extra frustrating if a tedious minigame is required to get ultimate weapons etc. FF10 is the worst here imo. Bitzball :| lightning dodging :|
In many cases they're not hard, it just takes a sh*t load of time. I remember trying to get lulu's celestial weapon in FF10. Damn, that lightning minigame is of the chart tedious. It's not hard, you just get bored, lose focus and get hit. You could say it's hard because it's boring lol. Need I mention blitzball...  >:(

The minigames I had most fun with is either the snowboard or Choco hot and cold. The snoword game had literally no place in the story, and made no sense. But it was somewhat fun. Choco hot and cold was also a bit fun, but too time consuming.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2011-06-24 11:57:56 »
That is why it is hard.  It tests you in endurance and concentration.  Think of it that way.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2011-06-24 13:24:22 »
I LOVED FF9 Choco Forest games!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2011-06-24 16:18:20 »
That is why it is hard.  It tests you in endurance and concentration.  Think of it that way.

There's an important distinction between things that are hard because they require brains or skill and things that are hard because they're boring and no sane person would bother to waste the time doing them. The former are good and the latter bad. Unfortunately, the tedious minigames of the later FFs and the endless grinding of the earlier ones fall into the second category.

FF9 street racing? Holy shit I got SCARRS FROM THE BLISTERS RUBBING THE BUTTONS ON THE PAD
FF9 springrope jumping? This makes FF10's lightning evading look like silly bullshit

I can't believe you just bitched about FF9 and 10's minigames without mentioning either the swordfight at the beginning of 9 or the first Blitzball game in 10.

Or 9's card game. What the fuck was up with that? 8 had a brilliant card game, but 9's was  just ridiculous.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2011-06-24 16:21:20 »
No I disagree.  There is a distinction between all tests and every test is difficult in its own way.  Dodging lighting bolts is difficult because it requires endurance of concentration.  I don;t see that as a negative just as a different.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2011-06-24 16:38:26 »
No I disagree.  There is a distinction between all tests and every test is difficult in its own way.  Dodging lighting bolts is difficult because it requires endurance of concentration.  I don;t see that as a negative just as a different.

Then an awful lot of people disagree with you.

In any case, the "endurance" (as in, "try do keep doing this for an hour without losing the will to live and trying to hang yourself with the cord on your controller") kind of tests are far less enjoyable than tests that require real thought or talent and therefore have no place in entertainment products; they're better suited to Guantanamo Bay. They also require less thought on the part of the developers and are therefore regarded as an example of laziness or lack of creativity.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2011-06-24 18:46:43 »
My endurance of concentration must be through the roof then, because the last few times I played FFX, I always dodged lightning until I got at least the 3 Strength Spheres. And I always do so the first time I hit the Thunder Plains (hence, no No-Encounters) ... It's not hard to me, you just gotta do it all at the craters near Macalania Forest's entrance, since the rate of the lightning strikes is high and very easy to memorize there.

Anyways, call me crazy, but I like FFX's minigames - blitzball included (the only problem with blitzball being the fact that it gets way too easy way too soon). Err... ...maybe not the chocobo races, though... ...and the minigames in FFX-2 are awful, too. I'd rather dodge lightning than calibrate the towers any day. Or maybe I forgive FFX's mini-games more easily, because FFX is a better game...
« Last Edit: 2011-06-24 18:52:28 by Armorvil »

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #118 on: 2011-06-24 19:02:03 »
There's an important distinction between things that are hard because they require brains or skill and things that are hard because they're boring and no sane person would bother to waste the time doing them. The former are good and the latter bad. Unfortunately, the tedious minigames of the later FFs and the endless grinding of the earlier ones fall into the second category.

I can't believe you just b*tched about FF9 and 10's minigames without mentioning either the swordfight at the beginning of 9 or the first Blitzball game in 10.

Or 9's card game. What the f*ck was up with that? 8 had a brilliant card game, but 9's was  just ridiculous.

9's cardgame served no purpose which is why I left it out. I actually found Blitzball to be INCRDIBLY easy and the sword fight in ff9 was not particularly hard to reach 100.
And tedious and boring tasks are not difficult. Just tedious and boring. The worst minigame of all time is definitely ff9 street racing. The blisters... oh god...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2011-06-24 19:18:04 »
I actually found Blitzball to be INCRDIBLY easy

I was talking about the first game, when your team is absolute shit. When you get to buy players and pick your team; it becomes ridiculously easy to win every match by huge margins.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2011-06-24 20:25:37 »
I can't believe you just b*tched about FF9 and 10's minigames without mentioning either the swordfight at the beginning of 9 or the first Blitzball game in 10.

Or 9's card game. What the f*ck was up with that? 8 had a brilliant card game, but 9's was  just ridiculous.

1st blitzball game was actualy the only one i considered to be "fun"
agree on the others tho... never managed to impress all the nobles on ff9 fight scene (never even attempted to cause the whole thing is just stupid) and the card game was total crap

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #121 on: 2011-06-24 20:30:03 »
99 of 100 nobles were impressed!

I will find you.

I will find you, and I will make you pay.