Author Topic: Big Mysteries of FF7 & More  (Read 67168 times)

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Big Mysteries of FF7 & More
« on: 2009-10-23 00:41:56 »
Hey, what weird, odd stuff have you encountered during your FF7 experience? I'll start... It's sometimes weird how when certain monsters (e.g. Beach Plug) have Enemy Skills or certain attacks that they don't really use at all. In this example, it has "Big Guard" but never casts it for their defense.  :-o

Xelane

• View Profile
Re: Big Mysteries of FF7 & More
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-23 02:18:01 »
This looks promising but has been done many times.

Lemme think...

I find it strange that there are some areas of the game that seem to lead somewhere but do not (such as the area after the ancient forest with an unseen and inaccessible cave)

I also find it strange that the game can run all of the story with just one disc (though the fmv's will be out of order)

I also find it strange that the curse ring accessory was so hard to find (who the hell checks a random plank for a key and then tries it on a random door?)

What else....

Oh, I find it strange that the items "handkerchief" and "masamune" are awarded but are completely unusable...

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-23 03:30:34 »
Oh! And don't forget those 1/32 Shinra Soldier things!!

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-23 04:04:03 »
Oh yeah, and there was something about the sweeper machine parts or something.

And the hidden materia. man do i wish they added holy, aero, and water

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-23 04:54:37 »
If some guy told me how to "Save on the world map", I'd be very afraid.  But this is a video game, so it's okay.

http://www.ff7-universe.com/ - Click on "Strange + Unusual".  A load of things are mentioned there, though it appears that Emperor Steele lost interest in keeping track of things after Corel Prison.

« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-23 04:58:06 »
I also like how it mentions Texas at Tifa's bar... like on the signs and stuff. xD.
Where is Texas in the world of FF7...?
And Barret throws the money to Cloud for the reactor job with his gun arm... That TAKES skills. xD.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-23 05:03:15 by BrokenCrowe »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-23 05:10:05 »
On ff7 universe, the fourth point under Costa del Sol... anyone know what Emperor Steele is implying there?

One thing I'd like to mention: When Sephiroth burns down Nibelheim and goes to the reactor to "meet his mother", he's basically like "I've finally found you.  You were superior to the humans, but they took the Promised Land from you... but do not worry, because I'm here with you now.  We will go together to the Promised Land and take revenge on the Planet!"

But then he just slices off her head?  What is his problem!?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-23 05:15:49 »
On ff7 universe, the fourth point under Costa del Sol... anyone know what Emperor Steele is implying there?

One thing I'd like to mention: When Sephiroth burns down Nibelheim and goes to the reactor to "meet his mother", he's basically like "I've finally found you.  You were superior to the humans, but they took the Promised Land from you... but do not worry, because I'm here with you now.  We will go together to the Promised Land and take revenge on the Planet!"

But then he just slices off her head?  What is his problem!?

Im pretty sure that thing he pulled off was not her head. but some part of the machinery. I think she was in the tank behind the thing he pulled off

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-10-23 05:25:50 »
No no, it was definitely her head.  It's more visible in Crisis Core and in last order, and you can see that it's a head if you view it in Kimera.  Also, Jenova's headless next time the party encounters her, so it makes sense... from that perspective.

Jenova SYNTHESIS is supposed to be Jenova's head morphed into something more monstrous.

Proof (at 2:30).

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-10-23 06:07:34 »
I can explain the whole head being chopped off deal:

He DID pull off this machanichal angel thing in front of jenova's tube because it was in the way. But more to the point:

Sephiroth was going to simply free jenova but he was injured by cloud when he stabbed him from behind in a fit of rage (refer to the mideel lifestream part of the game)

Because of his injury he couldn't drag jenova's mostly lifeless body (she had been "dead" for a long time) so he simply cut off her head and took her with him knowing that her body would eventually follow him anyway.

He was probably going to take her entire body with him but as he was injured and limping away, he couldn't

And FYI: the body was at shinra because hojo expected the reunion to happen wherever jenova was, which it didn't.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-10-23 06:18:39 »
Very interesting

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: 2009-10-23 06:20:16 »
Xelane is right. Hojo himself said (I think it was at the Northern Crater (beginning of Disc 2) that the Reunion was a mere hypothesis that was to be taken place at the Shinra Building because of Jenova's corpse, but eventually didn't happen because Sephiroth brought the head back to the Shinra Building and Jenova went loose and wreaked havoc all over the place.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-10-23 06:49:47 »
Well the shinra massacre was done by jenova DEATH masquarading as sephiroth (possibly acting like a surrogate body) and I think jenova's head was at the crater due to the fact that sephiroth "died" with it in his possession.

And yeah Hojo did say that early into disc 2 before Weapon were released.

(I have played this game too many times, I can remember beating it at least 50 times literally)

A new mystery to me: why did they make sephiroth's sword ridiculously long? and while on the subject: how did he enter buildings with it and where was it when he wasn't holding it?

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-10-23 12:00:34 »
@Xelane: Concerning your second-to-last post, I had thought of that, except... Sephiroth, at that point, believed Jenova to be an Ancient.  Did he have any idea about the Jenova Reunion Theory?  He knew about the "calamity from the skies" that had killed all of the Ancients, but he didn't know that the calamity was Jenova.

Concerning your last post: At one point in Dissidia, Sephiroth is seen pulling his sword out of nowhere*.  He can probably make it vanish into thin air as well.  Though that's in Dissidia and not in the original FF7.  Still, there's no other explanation.  And I think they made the sword so long to make him more intimidating and unique in his own way.  And it did really work to help make Sephiroth the iconic figure that he now is.

*Here. <---(And in regards to that vid, at first I thought Cloud said "What I want most... is to find myself!" o_O  (That bit's at the end.))

I'll follow up on your point, though.  Sephiroth uses his sword very irresponsibly.  He just leaves it in Tifa's father's body after he kills him.  What if Zack were the one to pick it up and not Tifa?  The risks this guy takes... He also leaves it in President Shinra, but is seen with it later.  (He probably encountered the Midgar Zolom in the marshes and thought "Crap, where's my sword?" and had to go back to get it :lol:)

Finally, in FFVIIAC (and in ACC), after Cloud defeats Kadaj, Kadaj's blade is seen falling down the side of a building.  Yet he mysteriously gets it back when Sephiroth dissipates.

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-10-23 12:15:44 »
About the length, one of the longest known Japanese sword is:
http://japantrip.tripod.com/nodachi/norimitsu.html

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-10-23 12:28:38 »
HO-LY Moses!! :-o :-o  If you can wield that thing, you're strong enough to "take revenge on the Planet" for sure!!

So what did they use that for?  Reaping the fields during harvesting season in ten seconds?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-10-23 14:23:30 »
I think that most of the mysteries ITT can be explained by saying that the world of FF7 doesn't have the same laws of physics as our own :-P (and it doesn't; magic can be used, after all)

Maybe Sephiroth's sword is magic? Maybe he carries it in his bag in infinite holding (something that almost all video games have; where else would the characters hold all of their equipment? :-D).

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-10-23 14:29:19 »
That's something I tend not to think about, but you're right.  There seems to be an invisible and massive stash that the characters can individually dig into, pulling stuff out of air whenever they want.  If those 99 Potions, Hi-Potions, Ethers, Hero Drinks, Phoenix Downs, and all that other stuff were being physically carried around, surely their journey around the world would take a heck of a lot longer :|  And then they wouldn't have been able to stop Meteor in time.

lyada

• Gimme Elixier
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-10-23 18:00:00 »
If I remember correctly Odadchis where used by footmen against cavalry. They would cut through the man and the horse.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #20 on: 2009-10-23 19:05:42 »
So here're a few things in Midgar I noticed:

#1. When Tifa joins the party, she leaves a 4-year-old in charge of her bar while she's out. This is the slums of Midgar! Some of them say how dangerous it is. I think the worst thing for a four-year-old to do is tend bar.

#2. Immediately before that scene, the gang "rest up for the night" (or something), and in less than 20 mins are at the reactor 5. Then Cloud crashes through the church and takes Aeris to her home. Her mother mentions it's too late (at night) to go to Wall Market and suggests staying the night! Cloud couldn't have been falling for more than 30 seconds and apparently wasn't unconscious for more than a few minutes. Yet it's apparently almost night only a few minutes from the previous morning!

#3. Cloud survives the fall. But he IS in SOLDIER....

#4. There is no number fo...... oh, wait, there is. When the gang get to the pillar after battling Aps, Cloud elects Aeris to help Wedge. Tifa then asks her to get Marlene to safety. I see two odd things about this:
      4.1: Why didn't Tifa just say to Cloud "I'll look after him, I have to get Marlene"
      4.2: Somehow, Aeris was able to get Marlene from the bar to her house AND get caught by Shinra by the time Cloud and Tifa join Barret at the top of the pillar. Maybe she has what it takes to be in SOLDIER after all. :D

*Crisis Core Spoiler!!*
#5. EX POST FACTO break here. Zack and Cloud fell from two completely different places about five years apart, yet both landed on the same spot (probably through the same hole). Aeris doesn't even mention this to Cloud. She doesn't find it odd that the guy she liked and probably had a crush on fell through the roof of the building she was in, then about five years later, some completely different guy WITH THE SAME MONSTROUS SWORD she last saw Zack with falls through the EXACT SAME HOLE and she doesn't say a word about Zack to Cloud?!!?
*End Spoiler!*

Gongaga releated

#6. You can completely pass Gongaga and not even know it's there. I did that on a recent playthrough. Really! I completely forgot it existed!

#7. If you DO go to Gongaga, Cloud states he believes there's a spy because the Turks were there before him. Did he forget about meeting them at the mythril caves?! Why didn't he think there was a spy then? The obvious "culprit" at that moment would have been Red XIII. Anyway, he then says "I trust everyone" despite Cait Sith being new (assuming you immediately came from Gold Saucer).

#7A. Vincent also has lines for this scene. So you can get him before this. I think this scene is available anytime before you get the Tiny Bronco. Cait Sith's line regardless reads thus:
{CAIT SITH}
“You don't think there's a spy,
   do you {CLOUD}?”
{NEW PAGE}
“I hate this.
   Now everyone's gonna blame me
   because I'm new.”
-taken from Loveless
If you have Vincent, he's no longer "the new guy" anymore.

Cosmo Canyon:

#8. Bugenhagen says Red XIII is 48 years old, his parents died when he was very young (we'll assume between 5 and 10 so he can remember the battle and come to the conclusion that his Father abandoned the tribe). Yet, now, of all times, Bugenhagen FINALLY decides to let him know what happened to his father?! Why didn't you tell him immediately after?!

#8A. Apparently Seto and Red's mother told Bugenhagen to seal the cave and not tell anyone what happened here. Huh?! Why not?!!?! Did they want their little cub to assume that daddy ran away instead of being killed/petrified in defense of the tribe?

#8Ai. How can Seto tell Bugenhagen to seal the cave if he's petrified?

#8B. He sheds tears (supposedly) at the end of the scene. Why did no one say: "HE'S ALIVE!!! QUICK! GET SOME SOFT AND CAST FULLCURE THAT'S SITTING AT THE BACK OF THE ITEM SHOP!!!"

#9. Red XIII is a big liar. Bugenhagen didn't "zip out"

#10. Some NPC says:
“Wh…who are you?
   You…can't just come barging
   into my home uninvited!!”
It never stopped them before or after. :)

Nibelheim:

#11. A little later in the game, but Shinra has some amazing recon records of Nibelheim. Enough to recreate Tifa's room with all her personal effects still in it! Piano, fine. But secret stashes of gil and materia? Nice attention to detail there!

#12. Zangan. Strange that he has 128 students in the world and we never meet any of them. Oh well.

Rocket Town

#13.
Quote from: Cid
“Everyday‚ [the rocket] tilts a little bit more.”
Yet in the flash back, it shows that the rocket hasn't moved since it initially tilted. Not to mention the entry way to it looks pretty level.

#14. The rockets fired in the flashback. If Cid's to be believed, Shera should have flash-fried when that happened. Yet even after they make it into space later in the game, she was in that room (or close to it) when it took off.

#15. Why does Shinra want the Tiny Bronco anyway? It's not like they don't have air ships! I mean, it's called the TINY Bronco for a reason!

OK, I've officially wasted too much time on this. I've got to do other things. ;)

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-10-23 23:24:56 »
so many questions....I haz answers but....theres SO many of them!

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-10-23 23:41:45 »
Does anyone know who Emperor Steele is talking about when he says the guy in the Costa Del Sol inn looks like someone?

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-10-24 02:08:43 »
Thanks for seconding the question I asked earlier that never got answered :-)

I'll see if I can find his NPC in Kimera...

EDIT: No luck.  Can't rely on Scorpicus's char tutorial and list for everything, I guess...

I did, however, find someone who thought that the innkeeper at Costa del Sol looked a bit like Zack.

Anyway, he can be seen in this vid at 3:25.  He looked a bit like Hojo to me... but Hojo's down at the beach scoring with the bikini chicks, so it can't possibly be him.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-24 03:40:52 by The Seer of Shadows »

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #24 on: 2009-10-24 03:49:48 »
I also got one! Notice Johnny, Tifa's friend that lives in the Sector 7 slums. Wow, he in unusually rich for someone to be living in the slums! He travels alot doesn't he? I mean, making it to the Honey Bee Inn, and then you spot him again living in a nice cabana out in Costa Del Sol with his mistress. WOW. What is his job to be spending alot of money on traveling and buying a nice house?! :lol: