Author Topic: That @#*(%& sword fight mini game in FF9  (Read 28315 times)

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
That @#*(%& sword fight mini game in FF9
« on: 2010-06-30 04:12:20 »
You know that stupid mini game where you duel Blank in the beginning of FF9?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCil9SYAiE

Yeah, that one. It is virtually impossible to get 100. Getting 100/100 gets you 10 000 gil and a moonstone (which can teach you shell early on in the game), whereas getting 99/100 gets you something like... 1000 gil and a silk shirt. So it's pretty freaking worth it, especially if you want a "perfect" game.

Well, Timu Sumisu and I just spent over an hour, maybe two hours trying to get 100 on this bloody game. About half of our results were above 96, which was really annoying. And we finally got it, and thought we'd celebrate over a couple beers. XD

Our reaction every time we screwed up a button early on in the mini game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Our reaction once we won:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kQk-lgFRI

Aaaaanyway, what's up with FF9 and their annoying as hell mini games right at the beginning of the game? Every time I want to do a "perfect" run through of this bloody game, I get turned off by these difficult mini games in the beginning. They're not hard per se but getting 100% on both jumping rope and sword fight mini games is a b*tch. I'm pretty good at the jump rope game, I've gotten all the items from it (300+ jumps) except the King of Jump Rope key item. u_u" I know you can go and do this later on in the game when you come back but still.... MRAWRR. =/

/angry grrrl with gamer's rage rant
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 04:18:52 by Chocobo_Girl »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: That @#*(%& sword fight mini game in FF9
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-30 04:24:50 »
lol

I've never played FFIX, so I can't relate.  But this reminds me a bit of Rufus's Welcoming Parade.  It looks a lot more difficult, though.

Three people in that crowd are awfully hard to impress...

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-30 04:25:16 »
Well, I played this game for the first time earlier this month, and thought the minigame was pretty fun. But then, I'm the guy who replays Fallout 2 every other week with a character that's barely different from the last one.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-30 04:25:50 »
Nothing like an exercise in frustration.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-30 04:50:14 »
it was a beautiful moment.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-30 14:07:06 »
I never had a 100/100 in that minigame even when I never missed any key. What is the criteria anyways?? Do you really have to press the keys so fast when it shows?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-30 16:46:52 »
You have to have split second reaction time and also not mess up at all and have rythym in a way. I am a guitar hero MASTER(beat all songs on all games 5 stars, even Jordan and TTFAF by dragonforce, most songs at 100%, anways)being such, I am extremely skilled at all rythym excersices(Beat DJ HERO on expert the first day it came out,am very good at DDR)

I may have played this minigame 10 times b4 I got the top prize, but I do agree, its very frustrating. I believe 300+ jumps on jump-rope is MUCH harder IMO.

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-30 16:50:06 »
I never had a 100/100 in that minigame even when I never missed any key. What is the criteria anyways?? Do you really have to press the keys so fast when it shows?

You have to enter 50 commands total. You get 2 points if you enter it before the animation of the previous ends, 1 point if you manage to enter it but after the animation of the previous is done and 0 if you missed a command. If you press a wrong button, you lose a significant amount of points, something around 10-20 points. Anyway if you get 2 for each command you get your 100/100.

The really hard part is the left and right commands because the animation for those are really quick, so you have to select the next one extra fast. Hence us getting 96-99 all the time. =/

You have to have split second reaction time and also not mess up at all and have rythym in a way. I am a guitar hero MASTER(beat all songs on all games 5 stars, even Jordan and TTFAF by dragonforce, most songs at 100%, anways)being such, I am extremely skilled at all rythym excersices(Beat DJ HERO on expert the first day it came out,am very good at DDR)

I may have played this minigame 10 times b4 I got the top prize, but I do agree, its very frustrating. I believe 300+ jumps on jump-rope is MUCH harder IMO.

No, it has nothign to do with rhythm, simply game mechanics.

And nuh uh, I'm better at guitar hero than you are. :P I started playing guitar hero 3 as my first rhythm game and I pretty much pwned the game on expert in a week. I also won a guitar hero competition at my school which helped me pay for mah iPod. :P I'm also very braggy about this, if you hadn't noticed. ;D I'm pretty good at DDR too but I'm not *amazing* XD I'm just better than most people I know. I'm known for being really conceited about gh skills :P but that's really the only thing that I brag about. Other than that I'm a pretty modest person. :3
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 17:01:43 by Chocobo_Girl »

Krimson Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-30 20:26:43 »
I've gotten 100/100 5 times on that mini game, I know the criteria.

you can't miss any key that's the obvious first rule, you have approx 1/3 of a second to hit each key as they appear. There's a time interval, if you take too long to hit the key even if you get it right it will count as a miss. One time me and my friend did something funny and I took over the directional keys with my right hand, he took the right side of the pad with his left hand and we got 100/100 by only focusing on one side each. However I have done 100/100 on my own, the trick is never miss and hit the key within 1/3 of a second each time. Taking too long even once will get you 99.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-30 20:35:03 »

You have to enter 50 commands total. You get 2 points if you enter it before the animation of the previous ends, 1 point if you manage to enter it but after the animation of the previous is done and 0 if you missed a command. If you press a wrong button, you lose a significant amount of points, something around 10-20 points. Anyway if you get 2 for each command you get your 100/100.

The really hard part is the left and right commands because the animation for those are really quick, so you have to select the next one extra fast. Hence us getting 96-99 all the time. =/

No, it has nothign to do with rhythm, simply game mechanics.

And nuh uh, I'm better at guitar hero than you are. :P I started playing guitar hero 3 as my first rhythm game and I pretty much pwned the game on expert in a week. I also won a guitar hero competition at my school which helped me pay for mah iPod. :P I'm also very braggy about this, if you hadn't noticed. ;D I'm pretty good at DDR too but I'm not *amazing* XD I'm just better than most people I know. I'm known for being really conceited about gh skills :P but that's really the only thing that I brag about. Other than that I'm a pretty modest person. :3

I have guitar hero 3 for pc, if your up for a TTFAF match that is.....(BTW Im gonna fraps it lol)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-30 22:11:01 »
You know that stupid mini game where you duel Blank in the beginning of FF9?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCil9SYAiE

Yeah, that one. It is virtually impossible to get 100. Getting 100/100 gets you 10 000 gil and a moonstone (which can teach you shell early on in the game), whereas getting 99/100 gets you something like... 1000 gil and a silk shirt. So it's pretty freaking worth it, especially if you want a "perfect" game.

Well, Timu Sumisu and I just spent over an hour, maybe two hours trying to get 100 on this bloody game. About half of our results were above 96, which was really annoying. And we finally got it, and thought we'd celebrate over a couple beers. XD

Our reaction every time we screwed up a button early on in the mini game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Our reaction once we won:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kQk-lgFRI

Aaaaanyway, what's up with FF9 and their annoying as hell mini games right at the beginning of the game? Every time I want to do a "perfect" run through of this bloody game, I get turned off by these difficult mini games in the beginning. They're not hard per se but getting 100% on both jumping rope and sword fight mini games is a b*tch. I'm pretty good at the jump rope game, I've gotten all the items from it (300+ jumps) except the King of Jump Rope key item. u_u" I know you can go and do this later on in the game when you come back but still.... MRAWRR. =/

/angry grrrl with gamer's rage rant

How many Montrealers are there around here anyway ???

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-30 22:19:29 »
One time me and my friend did something funny and I took over the directional keys with my right hand, he took the right side of the pad with his left hand and we got 100/100 by only focusing on one side each.

LOL :P Once Timu and I played a guitar hero song on one guitar together. He had the buttons and I was strumming. We tried dragon force on expert and it failed epicly. :P :P Then I tried strumming while two people were in charge of 2-3 buttons each and that went really bad too. ;D

I have guitar hero 3 for pc, if your up for a TTFAF match that is.....(BTW Im gonna fraps it lol)

Naw, I only have gh3 for ps2 so no can do. I stopped playing after gh3, tried a bit of world tour but it just got boring. Drums was pretty fun though, it's a little harder than guitar, but eh. They're fun as party games but aside from that whatevs. They really just milked them rhythm games too much, with rock band, band hero, dj hero (I'm pretty sure I'm missing some :P). Soon enough we're gonna be playing hockey hero or even cooking hero and vacuum cleaning hero for girls or somethin' sexist like that >_> I swear to god.

How many Montrealers are there around here anyway ???

Errm... not sure. I recall there being one other person from Montreal here, aside from Timu and I.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 22:21:00 by Chocobo_Girl »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-30 22:54:27 »
Heres a quick example of my GH skillz, I lost purposely the first time to show its not a bot, I have it on 5x hyperspeed(what I always play on) Damn that was hard, havent played that game in like 6 months lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggE-uixYT60

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-06-30 23:10:44 »
Heres a quick example of my GH skillz, I lost purposely the first time to show its not a bot, I have it on 5x hyperspeed(what I always play on) Damn that was hard, havent played that game in like 6 months lol.

But can you do "Through the Fire and the Flames"?

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-06-30 23:13:35 »

Lulz whatever =P I can FC that song with my eyes closed. Well, at least with my eyes closed half the time. :P Cuz it's got an easy pattern.

I'm feeling nostalgic now. *wants to play gh3 again* T_T Thanks d00d... :P

Krimson Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-07-01 11:14:42 »
heh, takes me back to the devil went down to georgia days. I 4 starred that song and don't ever intend to play no more, 4 starred TTFAF as well as on rockband gold starred panic attack and 5 starred visions. (visions is such a gawd awful song ugh). I had to quit playing due to a permanent injury to my fingers.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-07-07 20:02:43 »
I'm a master at DDR and ITG. ITG is infinitely better though  :P  Started doing custom stepfiles that were meant for keyboard on foot. Haven't played the game in 2-3yrs now though, ITG machines are so rare nowadays :(

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-07-07 21:26:43 »
Let's see... I'm really good at playing REAL piano. :P :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-07-07 22:44:35 »
Let's see... I'm really good at playing REAL piano. :P :P

Me too. I actually find rhythm games frequently harder than the real instrument.

I mastered Donkey Konga though.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-07-07 22:50:14 »
I'm OK at rhythm games but I can't play any real instruments :|

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-07-07 23:11:44 »
I think playing a real instrument makes you better at rhythm games actually. I find this applies to my situation, either that or I just pick up anything that has to do with music and rhythm quickly (I did pick up piano quite fast and I've always been more advanced than the average).

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-07-07 23:45:14 »
Funny thing is the very first time I played FF9 I scored 100%. Never in the many times playing the game afterward Have I ever been able to replicate that.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #22 on: 2010-07-08 00:51:17 »
Even when I play that game on ePSXe (using the discs I own, BTW) and slowing the game to 1/5 it's speed, I still mess up 3/4 times. :(

The thing about it is it's not significant if you fail. You can still get a moonstone later and gil is still as free as it was before. It's just a nice jump start to get it all at once like that. :)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-07-08 00:59:33 »
Even when I play that game on ePSXe (using the discs I own, BTW) and slowing the game to 1/5 it's speed, I still mess up 3/4 times. :(

The thing about it is it's not significant if you fail. You can still get a moonstone later and gil is still as free as it was before. It's just a nice jump start to get it all at once like that. :)

I bet that you think it's not as bad as the first Blitzball game in FFX, right? ;D

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-07-08 02:25:53 »
I bet that you think it's not as bad as the first Blitzball game in FFX, right? ;D

Eh... I never lost the first blitzball game... :P I did on my first playthrough but I reset and redid it and won. It's not incredibly hard.

Funny thing is the very first time I played FF9 I scored 100%. Never in the many times playing the game afterward Have I ever been able to replicate that.

Lawl beginner's luck =)

One "cheat" we tried to do was to pause at every command then enter them as soon as we unpaused... but it didn't work for some reason, like it canceled the command. : /