Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Beacause - FF7 Retranslation (Merged into Reunion, use that instead)  (Read 361749 times)

spy__dragon

• View Profile
Hello, I have seen some errors, for example:

In the map "elm" (Kalm)
“The cannon's pointing north…
   You think the target could be… Sephiroth??”

It's correct to write double question mark in a conversation?

Other is the map blin67_2:

---TEXT058---
{CLOUD}
“{TIFA},help {AERIS}.
   I'll go get {BARRET}
   and the others.”

Ingame, I have seen that Barrett is with Red XIII, then "others", it's correct with one person or more person? Barrett is one person, Red XIII.

Greetings

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Are you saying that since there is only 2 more in the group that it should really be "Get Barrett and Red XIII"?

As for the other, a double question mark can be used for emphasis.  Not sure it applies there though, I'd have to look.

spy__dragon

• View Profile
Are you saying that since there is only 2 more in the group that it should really be "Get Barrett and Red XIII"?

Yes, that's right.

I mean, Tifa help to Aeris. Cloud help Barret and Red XIII.

I have understood "others" as "three persons", "Barret, Red XIII and other".

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Prob best I just change that to "I'll get the others"

I will see what Luksy says about the japanese.  May be "go get barrett"

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
I was just curious of the lack of news was good news, or if real life bit you guys in the bum and you've gotten delayed? It's been quite a while since a post so I just wanted to check in!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Luksy got  a new job and is extraordinarily busy with it.  I have several projects to complete including this one, but I cannot do anything without him since he is the translator.  In other words, this project is on hold until he comes back or until someone with equal competence (finding someone like that will be hard) decides to invest their time to help me.

Hopefully he will get some time and then we can just spend a massive week or 2 to get this finished. I will never abandon this project.

Luksy also needs to modify touphscript for the new menu project which is also on hold for the same reason.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
Oh okay, cool! Real life got in the way then! Glad to hear it's on the books still! :D

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I have said it before, but I will repeat... most people, Japanese speaking or otherwise, like to moan that FF7 has problems but don't want to invest the time to fix it.  It's a miracle I got 1 competent person on board.  I asked a number of Japanese speakers to help with this project, 2 dropped out (when they realised the magnitude of the task), the rest couldn't be arsed at all.   Finding competent help is difficult also, I had to turn away 2 others because they simply weren't up to it.  One of those liked to place their own interpretation on the dialogue, something that simply isn't acceptable.  I can't have someone feeding me lies about what is being said.

If people invested the time I have even in a fraction, this would have been done 2 years ago, instead it's down to me and 1 translator to complete an entire game.
« Last Edit: 2012-11-18 23:05:24 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
That's cruel! I wish I could help... The only Japanese terms I'm acquainted with are some Karate and Iaido terms even some of which I'm not perfectly familiar with yet... I wish I could help you with this project.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The worst thing is, the same moaners will undoubtedly be the one's being most critical.  :-D

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
I was never critical about your project or anyone who has invested a considerable amount of time in any project. The one I'm most critical with in my life too is myself... that's the price of being a perfectionist I guess...

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
Regardless of the where the finish line may lie, you guys should be proud of the monster of a project this retranslation has become.
Who cares what negativity or pressure people impose, acknowledging that will only slow you down

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
You're going to get hell, and that's the internet for you. I wish I could apologize for those people, but it won't help. I was definitely highly nervous about this project when I first found it, but I researched what you were doing and looked into your translations and I am just simply astounded. Final Fantasy has one of the more... colorful(?) fandoms out there, and I'm just impressed how you're willing to push on despite people being people. It's just a mod, if they don't like it they don't have to play it, y'know?

I know someone that speaks both languages (Born in America, went to manga college in Japan, has an original manga webcomic because she can't get anyone to pick it up). I think she's probably too busy with real life, but I'd be willing to ask her if you'd like! I mean, worst she can do is say no, right?

Thank you for this, no matter how long it takes. I really can't say that enough. I wish I could get people as loyal as you on other games. Chrono Trigger (SNES version) and Chrono Cross, I'd love to see someone as dedicated to the purity (if you'll pardon the term) of the original as you tackle those projects. Someone that can put up with the Square-Enix fandom as well as you have.

I wish you could get paid for this with all my heart. Because man, you guys deserve it. If you have any desire in doing something like this for a living, definitely add this project to your portfolio!

I'll stop showering you with praise now. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon, I will return again   8-)

Until then it's time to finish the numerous other projects and get drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPdqLpslNY&t=03m03s
« Last Edit: 2012-11-27 18:33:29 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Ah well, that was a  short wait. Contacted Luksy and although he is not in the best shape in terms of time and whatnot, he has agreed to do a few maps now and then, so at least progress will be made and all in all it may be best this way so that even at worst projections, it WILL be finished next year.

It's totally understandable that real life and a harsh job take priority over ff7 though ;)

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
That's good to hear, or at least better! And real life is definitely a priority over a fan retranslation (or really, any fan based pursuit), even though I sometimes have trouble setting my own priorities to reflect that... XD

Luceid

• View Profile
I have to bug you guys with a stupid question.
If I'd like to use the re-written script but like to keep the fasle, american names, what kind of installation (boootleg-wise) should I do?
Are the japanese (1 to 1 translated) names already build-in in the re-translation project?
Does  f.e."canon-names" mean 'japanese names' oder 'ameriacn names'?

I'm kinda confused :(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Canon names are just that.... the original english names.

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
@Luceid - I'm pretty sure they're including an option in the installer to keep the American names? Correct me if I'm wrong, DLPB.

kiyobean

• View Profile
Re: [REL] Beacause - Final Fantasy VII Retranslation Project
« Reply #495 on: 2013-01-18 13:48:02 »
Hi DLPB, I've just come across this project, and I'm impressed with all the work that's gone into it!  :)

I've just got a small translation suggestion... you've changed "Shildra Inn" in Cosmo Canyon to "Schildra Inn". I think it should actually be "Syldra Inn," named after the character from Final Fantasy V.  (The names match in Japanese.)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 2013-01-18 17:00:52 »
It is definitely Schildra.  Likely the V one is incorrectly translated as well (I would have to check the kana).  The word comes from the German word Shield.  Like the Shield Dragon (Also incorrectly translated, because it should be Schild Dragon.

See first post, reasoning is documented in a table.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-19 09:45:42 by DLPB »

xshobux

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 2013-02-20 00:12:01 »
Hey, I have a question about this ReTranslation project that I asked not too long ago. I think there must have been a server rollback after the site was down (I had to recreate my account as well.) Anyways...
In the BFE, I have ReTranslation, Canon Items, and American Spelling checked (I left Canon Names unchecked since I prefer the localized versions). However, I am still seeing Canon Names like "Leno" and "Zeng" and British spellings such as "Mum" and "Tranquiliser". I think I remember you saying something about a stand alone release fixing this issue? Thanks.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 2013-02-20 00:12:57 »
I answered this before the wipe out happened to Qhimm's.  Wait for The Reunion to be posted, it uses my own custom tools and should fix all these issues.  It also adds a lot of other fixes, and updates translation project up to Costa del Sol

Dan

xshobux

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 2013-02-20 03:05:31 »
I answered this before the wipe out happened to Qhimm's.  Wait for The Reunion to be posted, it uses my own custom tools and should fix all these issues.  It also adds a lot of other fixes, and updates translation project up to Costa del Sol

Dan

Awesome, when do you think that will be released?