Author Topic: Opening logo layout analysis?  (Read 8222 times)

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
Opening logo layout analysis?
« on: 2016-06-12 02:20:10 »

I ripped this with Tim2View from the PSX version from the file "OPENING_21.data" contained within "MOVIE/OPENING.BIN".

As you can see, the image is chopped up and rearranged differently when compared to the way it is seen in game.

Has anyone done an analysis on how this is arranged exactly, down to the very pixel?

I might do this analysis some day by doing the following:

1.)   Draw “border lines” on the separate the chopped up pieces into marked sections.
2.)   Reinsert this into the ISO.
3.)   Make a 320 x 240 screenshot of this running, to see where the sections really do wind up.

But I was wondering if someone has already analyzed this in the past, which would save me the trouble.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-12 02:25:48 by NERV Agent »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Opening logo layout analysis?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-12 04:59:29 »
It's not difficult to match it up.  I didn't do any analysis - I just used photoshop.

Reunion comes with a corrected Logo and text.

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-31 00:32:29 »
Hello DLPB.

Do you think you can post your rough photoshop diagram if you did one?

I intend on making a sort of "input"/"output" template to see where exactly everything matches up (right down to pixel accuracy) so anyone wishing to change the logo with something else will know how to chop up and rearrange their custom image.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-31 02:40:36 »
I didn't do one, but you can download Reunion R03 - install files and look at the modpath (or just extract files).  You'll see the exact layout that way.

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-31 08:36:46 »
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it when I have the time.

However, what's up with "© 1997 SQUARE" being duplicated in the ".PNG" I ripped from "OPENING_21.data"?

And is the middle "SQUARESOFT" the same logo that appears after "Sony Computer Entertainment America Presents"?

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-06 23:11:38 »
Sorry to double post, but looked for Reunion R03 and found this post:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.msg224682#msg224682

But the download link is dead.

Where else can I find it?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-06 23:18:39 »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-07 00:05:07 »
I don't own the PC version of FF7 so I can't install it.

How can I go about extracting the files?

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-07 01:41:19 »
Okay, so after a couple hours of comparing the ripped image from "OPENING_21.data" and a screenshot from the PSX game, and keeping in mind that computers like multiples of 8, these are the borders that I think separate the different chunks.

As you can see, I'm not done. I'm still not sure where one section ends and another begins.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-07 01:49:19 by NERV Agent »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-08 14:02:14 »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Kl04es5qkqWU8tTEFtN1JsQnM

That's all I have.  Hope it helps.  let me know when downloaded.

From what I recall, the textures in original game are sized 4x smaller than those.  But they're in blocks - like 128 * 128 / 256 * 256.

I am not sure how PC and PSX differ with the logo and what not.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-08 14:06:07 by DLPB »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-13 03:45:28 »
Hello DLBP.

I just downloaded it right now and I'm wondering, is the contents of /cr the opening logo or the ending logo that appears at the end of the game (in the Red XII running with cubs scene)?

This just occurred to me because it does not seem arranged in the same way as "OPENING_21.data". An example is the top "comet" portion is right close to the ending "VII" portion in "OPENING_21.data", but in "ff7logo_c_00.png", there is a blank space to the right of the ending "VII" portion.

Also, the "Five hundred years later..." image also leads me to believe that this might actually be the ending logo.

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-14 03:34:58 »
After using the files DLPB showed me, I got a few ideas on how this is separated, but I am unsure of a few things.

Here are the results of my work today:

If I put the top "comet tail" and "VII chunk" in its proper space, I get this:

I am pretty confident about the areas with the orange and magenta. However, I don't know where the "neon green" box containing the bottom of sphere of the "comet" ends.

And right now I just realized that the true size of the “yellow” box might be bigger than this, since this 256 x 240 “.TIM” file is smaller than the actual screen size of 320 x 240.

That, and I gotta account for all the blank space. Should I just assume the game just fills that space automagically without referring to any portion of this ".TIM" file?

Any input on piecing together this puzzle would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-14 03:37:39 by NERV Agent »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-08-22 03:42:40 »
So I run into a problem, this time with compression.

I came up with the idea of putting lines at 8 pixel intervals and putting this back into the game. Based on how many lines I see in game, I will know where the border ends.

But I need to compress the image using FF7Tools lzss before inserting it into the game

But there is a problem.

With the original "OPENING_21.data" compressed, it is 19,050 bytes.

After converting this modified ".PNG" file back into a ".data" file with img2tim and compressing it, it comes out to 19,071 bytes.

I used GIMP to compress that ".PNG" to 90%. Here it is:

Using GIMP for compression shows a decrease in size.

Using LZSS on the 90% compressed ".PNG" shows the same 19,071 bytes. This is a problem.

This is weird and makes my head hurt.

Any help?
« Last Edit: 2016-08-22 03:46:33 by NERV Agent »

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-10-31 02:23:22 »
Finally figured this out if anyone cares. The reason this took so long is because I've been dealing with IRL.

This is how it is arranged. Here is the input:

The pink lines are not rendered for some reason. I guess something else overlaps it, like redundant parts of the image?

Here is the output:

And here is a transparent template of the output I made, to help anyone properly chop up any custom images they would want to replace that logo with:

NERV Agent

• Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-12-27 02:05:04 »
Disregard what I posted before. My analysis was off.

This is how it is arranged. Here is the input:

The pink lines are not rendered for some reason. I guess something else overlaps it, like redundant parts of the image?

When “1B” is rendered in game, the vertical length shrinks by one pixel. It seems that the entire 7th row of pixels (from the top) is omitted. Conveniently, though, this area is the row on top of the north border of “1A”.

Here is the output:

And here is a transparent template of the output I made, to help anyone properly chop up any custom images they would want to replace that logo with:

« Last Edit: 2016-12-27 02:07:15 by NERV Agent »