Author Topic: Fonts problem  (Read 7041 times)

superbibou

Fonts problem
« on: 2010-09-08 09:53:32 »
Hi guys  :)

I'm new on the forum and decided to post my problem here. Like a lot of people I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy VII, so I try to replay it on PC with all the new improvements which have been realized (special thanks to aali, final fantim, team Avalanche and all who help to improve the game).

I can run the game perfectly, no problem with ficedula or aali's opengl driver. But because I'm french (by the way sorry for my poor english) I can't use some mods, especially FF7 Remix 2.5.1 even if there's compatibility packs, it seems to not work with me  :-(
The problem is that all the specific characters in my language aren't shown. I know the story of the game but it's not pleasant to see blanks in the text and the menu.

For example
http://www.pixenli.com/image1283938641032630200.html

You can see that there's missing characters.
In french, "buster sword" is "Epée broyante" but on the screen the "é" is missing.
In french, "check" is "vérifier", and the "é" is still missing...
This problem concern all french characters which doesn't exist in english : "é" "è" "ê" "à" "â" "ù" û" "î" "ô" and "ç"

I tried the spannish fonts with the Team Avalanche graphical overhaul patch, but the letters aren't as clean as the others, there is too much shadow and some blurs...

I hope that somebody would help me and all other FFVII french players by making new proper Fieldtext textures including the french characters "é" "è" "ê" "à" "â" "ù" "û" "î" "ô" and "ç" there is no need of more.
I tried to do it by myself but I'm very bad in modelisation and I don't know what kind of software I should use for that   :(

Thanks for your responses  :)
« Last Edit: 2010-09-08 11:52:06 by superbibou »

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
Re: Fonts problem
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-08 16:25:52 »
The current font mod isn't complete, so you'll have to wait a little longer for the newest version to be released. That one will hopefully contain a whole character set and a font-face more similar to the original (Verdana).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-08 16:28:12 »
The new one has é back...  but that was because I requested it for the retranslation project and Mystére (Mystile original English version).  The font at the moment is for the English game where special characters are not required.  Therefore you will have to wait until TA decide, if ever, to add them.

« Last Edit: 2010-09-09 14:36:49 by DLPB »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-08 19:24:28 »
it  would be somewhat time consuming, but you could easily translate the font to your own language. Simply open the original font, and make the newer, PNG-based one match the characters in the original.

Honestly that is all TA would be doing to match your locality, so you can attempt it yourself and if it's any good send it to us so it may be distributed.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-08 20:34:35 »
I will consider doing this, but will need a copy of the menu lgp for the spanish and french versions to localize things.

superbibou

« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-09 13:30:16 »
sl1982 --> Actually i use the "menu_us.lgp" renamed into "menu_fr.lgp" to get it work, but I keep an original copy of my "menu_fr.lgp"
Here it is : http://www.mediafire.com/?c1pj2fwmvqs581o

pirozen --> You talk about attempting this by myself : It's a good idea and I had already thought of it. I am really fed up with this missing letters, I would like to give it a try but I have never done something like that so I don't know how to do :-\
I just need to add the missing characters in the PNG's files ? It will be recognized by the game ? What free software do you recommend me ?

Of course if I managed to make something's good I will post it  ;)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-09 15:51:37 »
sl1982 --> Actually i use the "menu_us.lgp" renamed into "menu_fr.lgp" to get it work, but I keep an original copy of my "menu_fr.lgp"
Here it is : http://www.mediafire.com/?c1pj2fwmvqs581o

pirozen --> You talk about attempting this by myself : It's a good idea and I had already thought of it. I am really fed up with this missing letters, I would like to give it a try but I have never done something like that so I don't know how to do :-\
I just need to add the missing characters in the PNG's files ? It will be recognized by the game ? What free software do you recommend me ?

Of course if I managed to make something's good I will post it  ;)

I wouldnt worry about it for now. I will take a look at this and add the needed characters into the fonts.

superbibou

« Reply #7 on: 2010-09-10 21:02:50 »
OK thank you very much sl1982 I'm sure you'll do it better than me  ;D

Do you think it could be done for next week ?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-09-10 23:57:51 »
Probably not. It will be released with the next version of the GUI, which i am currently debugging and testing (and now adding french to). Also if someone could get me a copy of the spanish menu lgp, I might as well do that while I am at it.

Eslava

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-11 09:49:45 »
Here, the spanish menu lgp. Let me know if you need something else.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-09-11 13:27:46 »
Thanks guys

superbibou

« Reply #11 on: 2010-09-11 14:59:02 »
sl1982, When do you think the next version of the GUI will be available ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-09-11 14:59:30 »
sl1982, When do you think the next version of the GUI will be available ?

Never ask that question.  It is ready when it is ready.  It is impossible to give accurate times for when a project, or part of it, will be finished.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-09-11 16:21:25 »
The release will happen when the entirety of the menu lgp has been redone. I am not planning on releasing a half finished version like the last one was. I may need some beta testers for the non english language versions, so eslava and superbibou I may need your help testing these versions.

Eslava

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-09-11 16:53:28 »
I will gladly help, i can also provide you with copies of the textures that were translated/modified because they had text in them, minigame fonts etc. I have all of them sorted.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-09-11 16:55:56 »
let me know as well, i cant wait to see the new less destructive version that doesn't modify the LPGs to the ridiculous extent we had to before.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-09-12 01:11:52 »
Minigame stuff is not included in the menu lgp's. It is mainly avatars, GUI stuff, tifa and cait's slots, battle square slots and the coin background.

superbibou

« Reply #17 on: 2010-09-13 13:54:05 »
Ok sorry I didn't know  :(

I guess there's a lot of work to do so I'll grin and bear it and won't ask questions like that anymore... If I can help by some way let me know  ;) (but please not things which requires technical skills).

Rikku2000

« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-23 17:36:15 »
Same with German version with ÄäöÖüÜß