Author Topic: Main menu background replacement  (Read 24307 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Main menu background replacement
« Reply #25 on: 2009-08-20 07:03:56 »
Mike Strife Nguyen there may be 1 small problem i have found. Tell me what resolution are you running the game at ? (using Aali's Driver i mean).
And also leehiooo if you could fix the menu problem it would be brilliant (i only know how to dissemble i dont know how to do much with the dissembly so i have no idea how to do somthing like that)

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #26 on: 2009-08-20 07:16:35 »
wo0tz! i got it to work!
well Mike Strife Nguuyen i just used your 1280x1280 image in IMG2TEX and it worked pretty good.

i was quite impressed with the image so i think i might keep this as my menu (although i may customize it slightly to make it higher up on the screen)

EDIT: Also willis936 you replace the TEX file called "buster.tex" in the menu_us.lgp to change the image for the menu.
this is the 1 i got on my ff7 game atm :)

thankz kranmer for showing me

Cyber Light

« Reply #27 on: 2009-08-20 07:24:31 »
Mike Strife Nguyen there may be 1 small problem i have found. Tell me what resolution are you running the game at ? (using Aali's Driver i mean).
And also leehiooo if you could fix the menu problem it would be brilliant (i only know how to dissemble i dont know how to do much with the dissembly so i have no idea how to do somthing like that)
I use 640x480 resolution Aali's Driver 0.7.1b  :?

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #28 on: 2009-08-20 09:15:59 »
hey, how can i insert this image? i tried IMG2TEX but didnt work  :-(

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-08-20 10:07:31 »
Mike Strife Nguyen that could very well by your problem. you cant have a 1280 image on a 640 running resoulution. Make the image the same size as the resoultion your using. so if you use the 1280 picture make sure you game is running at 1280 (for example i use 1280x1024 and it works with your 1280x1280 image but if i use a smaller res it does as it shows in your picture)

drfeelgud88 i will have a look at that image later and see if i can get it to work on the main menu but just so i know, what happens when you try to inset that image ? (you also may need to add black area's like the other images to make it fit correctly)

Cyber Light

« Reply #30 on: 2009-08-20 16:12:53 »
I change img to 512x512 but still have this problem. Could you share me your menu_us.lgp for my check test?  :|

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-08-20 17:00:23 »
cant send you my menu_us.lgp since its against the rules of the forum. But i can proberly send you my custom TEX file. Check your PM's Mike Strife Nguyen

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #32 on: 2009-08-20 20:02:42 »
when i try to insert this image (the same way i did with the other), the picture is alot smaller than this actual one; meaning that it doesnt fit right. plus, the "New Game" and "Continue" are missing and also the hand pointer thing

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-08-20 20:24:39 »
well drfeelgud88 we have yet to find how to make the image bigger then what your seeing since we cant figure out how to make it full screen yet. And the NEW GAME and CONTINUE are missing because they only show on a black background (the colour black is classed as transparent in IMG2TEX if you use the option). Currently the only way to fix this is either make the image fit under NEW GAME and CONTINUE or to make a black spot in the image where the text is supposed to be. Until Full screen start menu backgrounds can be done the best we can do is proberly somthing like this

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #34 on: 2009-08-20 20:58:26 »
I've seen (somewhere in this forum) that links to a video on youtube that someone SUCESSFULLY made it full screen with the "New Game" and "Continue" fit properly... but I seem to have misplaced the thread  :?

EDIT: Ok, i found it. Its not full screen but it certainly fits better than the one above... Hmm, the posters in the thread linking to this video say its fake, but it doesnt look fake to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yspqeCUrLUg
Do you think its possible to make it come out like this?
« Last Edit: 2009-08-20 21:06:22 by drfeelgud88 »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-08-20 21:29:52 »
yes i have seen that video before (earlyer in this thread actually) and i am sure its possible (i mean the video sort of proves that) but its just doing it that seems to be the problem. The person in the video seems to have made a underlay rather then a overlay image. its possible he figured out how to edit the actually background rather then the image on the background (what i mean is, is that what we edit is just a picture on the background. the guy in the video possibly found the real background) but i have no idea where that would be or if i am even right. My theory on the matter is that it is either in FF7.exe or is possibly somhow connected to window.bin or maybe there is a file we are missing alltogether that has the real background data in it.
We could really do with someone who knows more about the game (in a programming sense) joining this thread.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 2009-08-20 21:41:40 »
Dumb question, but where did you get that picture from?

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #37 on: 2009-08-20 21:58:16 »
yes i have seen that video before (earlyer in this thread actually) and i am sure its possible (i mean the video sort of proves that) but its just doing it that seems to be the problem. The person in the video seems to have made a underlay rather then a overlay image. its possible he figured out how to edit the actually background rather then the image on the background (what i mean is, is that what we edit is just a picture on the background. the guy in the video possibly found the real background) but i have no idea where that would be or if i am even right. My theory on the matter is that it is either in FF7.exe or is possibly somhow connected to window.bin or maybe there is a file we are missing alltogether that has the real background data in it.
We could really do with someone who knows more about the game (in a programming sense) joining this thread.
ya, it fits well together (even if it isn't full screen on his or her) but it looks great either way and I wish to implement this onto my ff7 game.

I googled "buster sword" on images... should be the first image

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-08-21 01:00:58 »
I've trying to debug to see if I could find the argument for pos.x, pos.y, width and height of the background, but ollydbg is not working so well in my Windows 7.. I think it's due to some compatibility issues..

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-08-21 01:24:38 »
Well. I just found the argument for Pos Y New game string. It seems I wasn't able to debug correctly before, due to Aali's driver idk why.  :?
I'll keep searching. Debugging full screen apps its a slow task for me tho.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 2009-08-21 02:34:06 »

Do you think if I emailed Wen-JR he would mind that you took his art?

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but please review the rules.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #41 on: 2009-08-21 03:25:52 »

Do you think if I emailed Wen-JR he would mind that you took his art?

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but please review the rules.
I didn't say it was mine now did I? Unless I did, well, then, I apologize.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-08-21 21:16:20 »
LeeHiOoO, I suggest you use the window-mode patch. That's what I did back in the old times when I was messing with the FF7 engine.

willis936

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-09-02 03:03:58 »
Well does anyone know where I can download Grimmy's menu_us to see what he did? I lost mine lol

It's quite a quandary because changing out the buster.tex on his menu_us gave the same results as on the stock menu_us leading me to believe it can be achieved simply by doing something to the buster.tex.

I just don't know what.
Does anyone know where I can find tex2img tools?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-09-03 01:04:37 »
If you mean a program that converts a TEX file into a BMP file, the last version of Tex2Img can do it.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #45 on: 2009-09-16 15:13:00 »
My menu is the last link on my fmv thread. To make it work I used the original bmp palette. On that palette black was set to transparent so I made the sky area black to show the new game/continue. I've not used tex2img so I'm unsure as to how to set the transparency using it.