Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079165 times)

terrabrake

• View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #525 on: 2009-09-22 17:36:56 »
Any news about the final version?

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 2009-09-22 20:55:57 »

Dunno, maybe its been forgotten about  :cry:

teggeta

« Reply #527 on: 2009-09-23 04:32:13 »

Idk he said he'd be off of vacation about a month ago, maybe he's still beta testing it.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #528 on: 2009-09-23 10:53:06 »

Idk he said he'd be off of vacation about a month ago, maybe he's still beta testing it.

I am beta testing it, though I'm also quite busy with work. The final version will be released, but it's hard to say when. Thus I won't make any promises. Stay tuned!

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 2009-09-28 22:18:14 »
I am beta testing it, though I'm also quite busy with work. The final version will be released, but it's hard to say when. Thus I won't make any promises. Stay tuned!

I'm glad to hear that  :-D

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #530 on: 2009-09-29 00:33:13 »

Sweet! Let me know how that turns out! Can't wait for this release!!  :-D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #531 on: 2009-09-29 16:31:53 »
Uploaded a new scene and kernels. Now it's actually possible to defeat the phoenix boss. Plus some minor formation and AI bug fixes. Also it's a tiny bit harder at some places at the end.

The way I've named some of the attacks in the kernel may not be likable for all, but there's always wall marked.

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 2009-09-29 16:49:02 »
It would be nice if there was a version of the patch that doesn't overwrite files.
Instead it unpacks the lgp files, changes the data, then repacks the lgp.
This will make compatible the hardcore mode with the ff7 remix patch, or any other mod that replaces files.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 2009-09-29 17:00:05 »
It would be nice if there was a version of the patch that doesn't overwrite files.
Instead it unpacks the lgp files, changes the data, then repacks the lgp.
This will make compatible the hardcore mode with the ff7 remix patch, or any other mod that replaces files.

If you are wanting to do this just take a look at the patch that comes with the 2d mod. It works in similar fashion

Auraplatonic

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 2009-09-29 21:54:59 »
Its good to see this mod still in development.  Was the bug ever fixed where battles on the beach near Kalm would crash the game?

teggeta

« Reply #535 on: 2009-09-30 00:00:06 »
Uploaded a new scene and kernels. Now it's actually possible to defeat the phoenix boss. Plus some minor formation and AI bug fixes. Also it's a tiny bit harder at some places at the end.

The way I've named some of the attacks in the kernel may not be likable for all, but there's always wall marked.

What was wrong with the pheonix bosses? I killed them without even losing one person.

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 2009-09-30 10:27:26 »
If you are wanting to do this just take a look at the patch that comes with the 2d mod. It works in similar fashion

I need the list of internal files (after unpacking LGP) that this mod changes

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #537 on: 2009-09-30 20:36:45 »
Its good to see this mod still in development.  Was the bug ever fixed where battles on the beach near Kalm would crash the game?

Yup that's fixed.

What was wrong with the pheonix bosses? I killed them without even losing one person.

You didn't lose 1 person. I mean, not even 1? Nah kidding... It was possible to defeat 'em but a bug in the AI made it impossible to kill all of 'em (or any of 'em) under certain circumstances. Circumstances I've now forgotten.

I need the list of internal files (after unpacking LGP) that this mod changes

I can hand 'em out, but I was planning on making a patch that works with other modded flevels. Right now I can't 'cause my comp is not available for me, and I don't remember every file name by heart. I hope I had a system on it.  :-P

Myrmedus

« Reply #538 on: 2009-10-06 12:42:29 »
Is there no standard zip file for this btw? The executable is very robust with allowing its contents to be extracted, to the point where I can't get ANYTHING out of it simply because I'm using a scene.bin already from the Hard Mode project lol ie. all I want to replace is the battle.lgp and it won't let me.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 2009-10-06 13:24:53 »
AFAIK there's no zip file, but if you put your modded scene.bin in a safe place and put an unmodded scene.bin in your data directory, you'll be able to install the mod and then put your old modded scene.bin back

Beware, however, that this may cause problems; at the very least, you'll have to use Hojo to fix the look-up table in the kernel.bin, unless you do this trick with your kernel.bin as well. If all you want to replace is the battle.lgp, I recommend that you do the "back up modded file -> replace with unmodded one -> patch -> put modded file back" trick with every file that gets patched except for the battle.lgp

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: 2009-10-07 00:38:51 »
you can always find clean, unmodded files off your install disc.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #541 on: 2009-10-16 03:30:00 »
Yo!

So I started working on the final version some days ago.
1st the good news. It'll be a patch that will work with any mod... Well... More correctly it will overwrite any scene, kernel and any field file I've tweaked. Which means every scene file, every kernel file and 'bout 30+ field files. In other words, it will be exactly like the current version (+ some bug fixes,other tweaks and a new boss), except you don't need the original files any more to install the mod. This patch will basically update any flevel.lgp and battle.lgp without ruining anything (or too much  :-P) to your current tweaks.
Keep in mind that if you added some enemy models yourself (battle.lgp) and still want this mod, you basically have to adjust it to this mod concerning the scene.bin. And, of course, if you removed some of the original field files included in this mod it won't have any effect on your own mod.

The bad news is that I don't know when it'll be released. I don't have much time to spare these days.

BUT, my real deal with this post is: What's up with the AKAO part in the field files? Does the game read the midi only from the filed files? Is the akao section actually a midi? The reason I ask is that I made a crappy program that can import "akao files" into any field file. So if the akao part of the field files are similar to the midi files it'll be much easier to import 'em into any filed file so it can be used for battles etch. (the reason there is no boss battle music in my mod is 'cause there aren't the appropriate akao parts in the given fields).

EDIT: And here are the field files I've moded.
Code: [Select]
anfrst_2
anfrst_5
blin65_1
bugin1b*
canon_1 (I've listed it, but I don't see any changes. Still I put in here just in case.)
convil_4
elmin4_2*
farm
gnmk*
hyou5_1**
hyou13_2**
jtmpin1***
junpb_2****
las2_3
las2_4
las3_2
las3_3
las4_0*
lastmap
losinn****
md8_32
nvdun1
nvmkin21*
qd
slfrst_2
trackin*
trnad_2
zcoal_2
zz3****
zz5
zz6
zz7
zz8
*May disturb translation projects (English). In other words: contains some actual dialogue.
**Bug fix from the original files (there might be more files with bugs. please tell).
***I may not include this one. A minor translation "fix".
****Removed Enemy-Skills materia from these. It'll be optional to include 'em in my mod.
« Last Edit: 2009-12-22 21:16:11 by gjoerulv »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: 2009-10-16 13:41:02 »
I remember doing a bit of research into that AKAO part of the field files about a year ago. Here's the thread.

AFAIK, the bytes after AKAO point to MIDI files in the order in which their names appear in ff7.exe. I remember having the Cosmo Canyon music play in Sector 6 (mrkt2) by changing 0xEBE to 1A. The bytes after the opcodes such as MUSIC point to bytes after AKAO, so if you have MUSIC 00 and AKAO 25 1A 02, the game will play the first song pointed to by AKAO, which, in this case, is "rocket" AKA "oppressed people".

That was a hideously bad explanation of what I can remember finding and some of it might be inaccurate, but that's basically what AKAO does.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #543 on: 2009-10-17 15:08:21 »
I remember doing a bit of research into that AKAO part of the field files about a year ago. Here's the thread.

AFAIK, the bytes after AKAO point to MIDI files in the order in which their names appear in ff7.exe. I remember having the Cosmo Canyon music play in Sector 6 (mrkt2) by changing 0xEBE to 1A. The bytes after the opcodes such as MUSIC point to bytes after AKAO, so if you have MUSIC 00 and AKAO 25 1A 02, the game will play the first song pointed to by AKAO, which, in this case, is "rocket" AKA "oppressed people".

That was a hideously bad explanation of what I can remember finding and some of it might be inaccurate, but that's basically what AKAO does.

I pretty much know how to set music and battle music for a field, but you need the appropriate AKAO in the field file to play the midi you want. That's why I made that proggy to insert any "AKAO file" in any field file. Now if the "AKAO files" are similar to the midi files this would make things easier. I could just check of course :P, but if anyone knows it would be great.

If what suspect is true (they aren't similar) then I would like to know how important the whole AKAO part is. As I've seen some dude (don't remember who) posted in another thread you only need to change that one byte to change the entire song and the rest pretty much doesn't matter. This doesn't sound correct, but if it is, the only thing one need to do to insert a song is to insert one byte (or as many the ID reqiures), and then update pointers. But, as I said, I doubt this is true, 'cause the AKAO part is pretty much similar to a script; with opcodes and stuff.

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 2009-10-18 17:58:38 »
Perhaps there is a list of songs set to play for certain ID's?

In wallmarket any ID gives a list of possible animations based on its poisition to other ID's

so 1A in any ID would give a much different animation than it would in a seperate one

(i think)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 2009-10-18 18:02:03 »
The IDs correspond to the order of the songs in the .exe

It seems that I didn't make myself clear in my last post, but replacing the IDs after AKAO will change the song being played, and the IDs after AKAO are the IDs of the songs in the order in which they appear in the .exe.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #546 on: 2009-10-18 22:27:54 »
The IDs correspond to the order of the songs in the .exe

It seems that I didn't make myself clear in my last post, but replacing the IDs after AKAO will change the song being played, and the IDs after AKAO are the IDs of the songs in the order in which they appear in the .exe.

Yes that makes sense. The field opcodes are relevant to the AKAO in the field, and the AKAO ID is relevant to the .exe.
But maybe I weren't clear... what I need to know is if all of the AKAO section is necessary to play the song or just the ID. If you just need the ID it'll be much simpler to add songs to fields. Then all we need to do is to insert five bytes (or AKAO + the ID bytes) to a field file to add possibilities to play new songs in that field, then update the pointers. I've successfully added some AKAO files in some fields with my "AKAO proggy"; I guess I'm in the best position to test this.

If what I expect is true (you do need the entire AKAO section), that means you'll need to extract the AKAOs you want in a field from another field where that AKAO exists. That's why I initially asked if the AKAO section is similar to other files easier available. You know, to add boss music.

EDIT: Hmmmm... It actually looks like you only need the ID. SCORE!
EDIT2: Yup, seems like you only need the ID (1 byte) preceded by "AKAO" (5 bytes total). But then what are the rest of the AKAO section there for if the opcodes aren't used? ??? Well it doesn't matter much now; I've already added some boss music and fight music where I wanted. If anyone are interested in the program I made just pm me. I don't think I need to release it.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-19 00:41:19 by gjoerulv »

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 2009-11-18 22:17:09 »
Any updates? Will the final version be downloadablw soon? :mrgreen:

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #548 on: 2009-11-21 14:48:30 »
Any updates? Will the final version be downloadablw soon? :mrgreen:

I'm working on it, but, as I've stated earlier, I'm quite preoccupied with other stuff. Can't promise any release date.

Rufus95

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: 2009-12-01 20:59:03 »
hey i have a question is the three people you fight (sorry forgot there names) at the shinra building and on a train posible to beat on your videos on youtube they kill you and i had to cheat to get past it  :-D