Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Big Bug List (OLD)  (Read 17801 times)

White Wind

• View Profile
[FF7PC-98] The Big Bug List (OLD)
« on: 2016-10-08 05:58:43 »
O.P. will be edited later.

For now I cannot keep up and manage this thread and the big list anymore.

I'm posting a link to it down here. I wanted to sort it out better and I still have lots of sources to look at for bug-hunting, but this will have to do as is for now,
so that if some people want to deal with some red entries, they can do before my come back already. If you find any fix, please see that with DLPB (thanks Dan).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0xFVStYQ6lldVo6t85IenuGrILrrOclS7QuSOmjGmA

This thread is dead. Go here instead. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2017-05-07 15:35:45 by Covarr »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: [FF7PC-98] The Big Bug List - post bug reports here
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-08 13:07:44 »
List from WatashiWaZero:

Spoiler: show

Something else I wanted to report:

In the battles that take place while you're on your way to the City of the Ancients, specifically the map that contains the Water Ring, I experienced an anomaly of sorts where characters would freeze in whatever animation they were going through.  The enemy (I think the seahorse looking ones) that casts the whirlwind of leaves skill that hits the entire party.  After the party gets knocked down, they stay down, but aren't dead/incapacitated.

Sorry to be super vague, but I forgot about it until now.  I'm also not sure if it has happened elsewhere.

I'm still passing through a rough time of my life, but I'm still nearby.
Just lacking free time and an available mind, but every bug mentioned in here will make it to the big list for sure; I'll go through all the last pages of this thread that need to, even before R05.

The list also needs better sorting and reorganisation, that will be taken care of when I can as well. Then it'll be a good time to open a thread about that list, for people to submit new bugs and even fixes.
There are also still a lot of (trusty) sources I need to explore to come up with more bugs. But again.. for when I can.

For the moment I'm going through each field to catch faulty pixels and such anomalies, so that'll be out of the way.
I've also noted down a few inconsistencies so far, when comparing some fields together. Like..
On your way from the 69th floor to the 70th, the staircase is a blood mess. Looking at them from the 70th floor now, the stairs are clean and lovely ^_^ That kind of quirks. I have already a few like this.

By the way, you can interact with Holzhov from below... Might wanna fix that. :P

https://imgur.com/a/Xa5X0

All color anomalies. Enjoy!!
There's probably a lot more in the glacier area, but I probably won't visit every screen.

Edit:
Is it normal to replay the snowboarding game again and again if you left the glacier and ran back up to Icicle Lodge?
I thought that once you've completed the snowboarding mini-game, you can leave town without being forced to play it again..?

Also, mentioned this before, but sometimes the camera doesn't pan completely to the direction where your model is.  This results in you being able to go off screen or not being able to see certain elements on the screen.

http://imgur.com/a/zYDMY

The interaction with the levers is a bit weird.  Can't interact with it if I face it directly, but if I stand next to the machine and face towards the left, it works.

I noticed that Cloud's Crime Hazard LB is glitching out as well.  He runs to impale his sword into the targeted enemy as usual, but then slides back quite a bit before transitioning into the uppercut.
Could you double check this Dan?

http://www.filedropper.com/1033-20h34m48s-accessorystore

So I happened to save it right in front of the store.  Was running around and checking new wares, and noticed that for an accessory shop, they sell mostly weapons...  Pretty sure this is intended right?

Also, whatever you see in my save file... note that it's for testing purposes............... Not that I'm a huge cheater or anything.  :evil:

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-08 21:18:40 »
Seems to me a very useful thread:

Vanilla game bugs:
Spoiler: show

- Shadows in battle are rendered wrong and their opacity doesn't faint out to the edges
- this also effects the way the other effects in battle are rendered (which is also the reason some textured are transparent - like the eyes of some bosses)
- the light is wrong rendered on the field scene models (probably turned along the x axis)
- the stereo sound seems only to have 3 channels (left - middle - right) - needs confirmation
- Leviathan's wave splash sound is missing
- field models have a mouth which isn't present in the psx (as Dan said with a correct fix this might be not an unimprovement)
  -> Barrets chibi model has missing faces on the ears
  -> Cid's chibbi model has a missing face on his jaw
  -> Vincents Turk model is mixed with different colored parts
- Something is wrong with the layers of the last field map
- The objects on the world map aren't in line with the world mesh and go down earlier when moving away from them
- the *Shine* shader is different then on PSX
- NPC's have no own blink texture for the closed eyes and use the one from Cloud's instead
- the Submarine minigame isn't the same (Dan has fixed it)
- the famous w-item bug

Animation:
- Yuffie is shielding her with the wrong arm when she is running
- the fat crew member in the highwind use an animation from has his feet wrong aligned (because it's the animation of Cid) - new animation needed
- similar problem with Johnny but he use Barrets rumbling animation - new animation needed

Probably more but Dan has fixed many which I didn't know that they exist.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-09 11:29:56 by Kaldarasha »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-08 22:16:27 »
Some of those are already on the bug thread too :) The shine effect is due to KAWAI operation being broken.  It affects more than the shine.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-09 05:04:10 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-09 02:44:48 »
The discard menu can use the page up and down function if the jump at 6F51F5 is removed.  But I'll need to see if that affects anything else.  To be more specific, a byte being set to 1 enables the function if not nopping the jump.  That can be set at 70D7DE. So to be safe, I'll use that. It's probably an oversight that they didn't set it to 1 (or in more basic terms, they didn't enable the flag for the discard menu).

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-09 04:21:01 »
http://imgur.com/a/E3lVf

Already reported on the spacing of the number 1, but apparently if you happen to get enough 1s in BP, it breaks the dialogue box.  The box usually indicates how much you earned, and how much you have total.  As you can see, that isn't the case in the picture.

Earthquake skill is glitched

Found an exploit in the battle arena.  If you cast double anything (magic or summon), and you manage to kill all the enemies with the first iteration, you get to act first the next wave.  And you can basically repeat until you've won the entire run since it just resets your turn rather than continuing your actions.

When you get lucky 7's in the handicap reel in the battle arena, it doesn't actually remove all handicaps like it says.  Any items that were broken stays broken for the remainder of the run.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-09 04:49:45 »
The "1" issue has been fixed already The issue with the box size may in fact be a touphscript error.  I think we set it for 4 digits and not 5. I already saw this before but forgot to report it.

When you get lucky 7's in the handicap reel in the battle arena, it doesn't actually remove all handicaps like it says.  Any items that were broken stays broken for the remainder of the run.

That's normal. It doesn't remove any handicap - it simply says "no handicap"  meaning that no new handicap will be introduced.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-10-09 07:47:16 »
70E155 = 09
70E205 = 08
70E26A = 8E E1 70 00

The above changes will also remove the "Are you sure?" confirmation box, which imho isn't needed and just gets in the way.  You have to select Discard and then click once already - so it's just a hassle to confirm.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-10-09 08:08:08 »
On the Junon Weapon store thing... the problem is that they ignored it later in the game.  The first time you visit Junon, the shops are correct - later on ALL SHOPS there, bar one (a materia store), become weapon stores. There isn't really a way to fix this other than to cheat and call all the stores "General Store".  Because otherwise the name is going to be wrong at one point or another.

It may be that the people of Junon suddenly decide that weapons are needed more than anything given the attack.  Numerous stores here are incorrectly named later in the game.

Change offending stores to "General Store" and then

923AA8 = 04
923BA4 = 04
923BF8 = 04
924624 = 04
924720 = 04
924774 = 04

to change their names in the menu.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-09 08:24:02 by DLPB »

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-10-10 03:37:40 »
Omnislash and Double Summon should have some sort of indicator to say that they've already been bought.  Perhaps their entries should be removed from the list?

There's also two things I couldn't activate (not sure if it's just me...).  First was Esto's dialogue about you winning 10 times in a row for the Chocobo race.  Second is the special battle at the arena.  I bought both Omnislash and D-sum, and killed and obtained Ultimate Weapon, but I never get the choice to fight in the special battle.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-10 03:57:30 by WatashiWaZero »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-10-10 04:07:12 »
DPLB, I tried asking this in private but my message was blocked so, hoping you do not mind overly much, I ask here.

In one of your answers you mentioned you saw one background upscale project that had at least decent results but that you do not remember which one it was.

Since I believe that the original images are a big punch in the eye, especially against high resolution models, I was wondering if you remembered which project you were thinking of?

There are three main contributors: originally Omzy's (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12260.0), then yarLson (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15335.0) and last satsuki (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16444.0). Even if none of them is much to your taste, I personally found each of them being superior to the original images but I would like to know which one is the "least bad" in your respected opinion. You were possibly thinking of satsuki's? That is my guess, anyway...

Thanks for your attention and good luck with the development of R06!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-10-10 04:50:49 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16752.msg237312#msg237312

It was this.  All attempts will lose detail and replace it with an unnatural look (the others massively so) - but imho this is the best I saw. 

WatashiWaZero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-10-10 22:27:47 »
edit

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-10-13 12:22:52 »
holu_2:  Holzov has been corrected so that you can no longer talk to him from below. This is a limiation in the engine that occurs elsewhere - the Z value is not taken into account with the talk script - so you actually have to check the Z axis of the character (or triangle if possible) and compare it to the level the object is on.

yufy2: Control panel could only be accessed while not facing it.  Can now only be accessed while facing it and nearer to it.

lastmap:  Ilducci has created a new map (I have called it lastmap2 and added it to flevel) which does not have the background.  This means I can make the ending scene look like PSX version.

- Shadows in battle are rendered wrong and their opacity doesn't faint out to the edges

Did Aali ever address why this happens or attempt a fix?

- the light is wrong rendered on the field scene models (probably turned along the x axis)

I can't fix it and it's probably due to broken KAWAI/graphic function.

- the stereo sound seems only to have 3 channels (left - middle - right) - needs confirmation

Are you saying that in battle this is true? And it wasn't in PSX?  It may be intended.  The sound function most certainly does work with proper panning, 0 (left), 64 (centre), 127 (right). It works for the full range in field and should in battle also - unless they chose to only have 3 values used there.

- Leviathan's wave splash sound is missing

This goes along with other issues with the sound in battle... there are a lot of them! I also recall sound effects are sometimes audible even when the sound effect bar in Config is set to 0.

- field models have a mouth which isn't present in the psx (as Dan said with a correct fix this might be not an unimprovement)

Fixed thanks to Sega Chief.

-> Barrets chibi model has missing faces on the ears

Ears on the face? 

-> Cid's chibbi model has a missing face on his jaw

Jaw on face?

-> Vincents Turk model is mixed with different colored parts

Explain.

- Something is wrong with the layers of the last field map

I am working on that at this very minute. Spy__Dragon has tried to fix it, Myst6re has tried, and now Ilducci has created me a new field which I hope to work around this issue with. The underlying issue with layers remains and affects fr_e map also.

- The objects on the world map aren't in line with the world mesh and go down earlier when moving away from them

I doubt I can fix.  Perhaps JWP or NFITC1?

- the *Shine* shader is different then on PSX

Due to broken KAWAI.

- NPC's have no own blink texture for the closed eyes and use the one from Cloud's instead
Can this cause issues?

- the famous w-item bug

Half fixed.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-13 14:23:49 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-10-14 10:18:31 »
Quote from: WatashiWaZero
And finally, no pictures for this error, but on the map fship_23, when you first steal and get onto the Highwind, Tifa is seen on the bottom left of the map.  As the camera pans/shifts upward to show the rest of the area, Tifa suddenly teleports to where Cid is standing and walks towards the middle.  You can probably fix this as the error is similar to the one you fixed for how Tifa enters the map in the initial Avalanche meeting downstairs (mds7pb_2 I think)...

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-10-17 00:59:06 »
To everybody: I cannot keep up and manage this thread and the big list anymore. My father is dying. I'm devastated and watching over him day and night.

I'm posting a link to it down here. I wanted to sort it out better and I still have lots of sources to look at for bug-hunting, but this will have to do as is for now,
so that if some people want to deal with some red entries, they can do before my come back already. If you find any fix, please see that with DLPB (thanks Dan).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0xFVStYQ6lldVo6t85IenuGrILrrOclS7QuSOmjGmA

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-10-17 05:27:18 »
That's awful news, WW. I don't envy you the months ahead. I lost my mother in 2008 and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Make every moment count and remember that the pain does become manageable. You've got some tough times ahead, but you'll be all right.

I will sort the thread :)
« Last Edit: 2016-10-17 05:29:06 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #17 on: 2016-10-18 18:56:37 »
May I have edit permissions on this document? I have several comments on some of the items I'd like to give

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-10-19 03:40:02 »
May I have edit permissions on this document? I have several comments on some of the items I'd like to give

Yeah, PM me your gmail account name and I'll add you :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-10-25 13:40:20 »
The bug that causes the enemy to show as normal for a single frame right after death seems to be fixed by nopping function at 5BBEBD. What this function does I don't know... since nopping appears to have no ill effects other than fixing this issue.  But I am sure there will be some sort of problem.

To see this bug in action, kill an enemy that is in minimum. The enemy will show as normal for one frame after death.  You can also see this bug when the death animation is the melting type (like Tonberrys).

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #20 on: 2016-10-25 15:08:44 »
The bug that causes the enemy to show as normal for a single frame right after death seems to be fixed by nopping function at 5BBEBD. What this function does I don't know... since nopping appears to have no ill effects other than fixing this issue.  But I am sure there will be some sort of problem.
Try reviving the dead enemy with Angel Whisper and that function nopped. I'll bet that something will look weird.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-10-25 18:09:20 »
Seems to be ok.

Although there are several other smaller issues to fix (unrelated to that function).  For some reason, the screen shakes at the start of Bahamut Zero while the Earth is showing.  Weird.

So what's hot and what's not?

Hot
1. All flickering seems to be gone, apart from Bahamut Zero, which still has an issue.
2. Any hanging bugs that happened due to older method are gone too.
3. This method may be easily adapted to allow for interpolation in choice areas, like model movement.
4. Tifa's reels, battle numbers, boss and enemy death speed, and various other issues are fixed.
5. All death animations corrected.

Not
1. Still working on shrinking / Growing being 4x too fast when using Minimum.  This shouldn't be too difficult to fix and I have the function locked down. The highest value is 32767 - values higher will make the model go the other direction and sink into the ground head first. Now fixed.

2. There may be some nasty surprises not yet discovered.

3. The fade-in needs some work. Again shouldn't be too much of an issue, since I have the functions (Kramner had the main one located already). Tbh it was broken in the original PC release too.

4. Bahamut Zero issue.

5. One enemy death type is still too fast. NFITC1 helped fix.

« Last Edit: 2016-10-27 00:20:05 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2016-10-27 01:42:48 »
You were right that sound effects in battle are always centred, Kaldarasha.  It's by design. At 430D08, 40(centre) is forced.

Edit.  Seems it depends.

Like at call 00745160.  Still centred, but that one can take any value.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-27 01:54:50 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2016-10-27 10:50:29 »
I guess they did this way to use the stereo sound files for the summons without losing the stereo pan of them. Either way for me are mono calculated sound effects better than wrong stereo calculated ones. However, I have no hopes that this can be fixed easily.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2016-10-27 18:13:24 »
OK so melting bug and minimum bug are fixed. So is Cait Sith's reels playing the sound effect after menu is cancelled.  Seems other menus initiate a "stop effects" function.  I've just added a "play effect 0 on looped effect" on the cancel.