Author Topic: I need suggestions for My FF9 mod...  (Read 5933 times)

Goku7

• View Profile
I need suggestions for My FF9 mod...
« on: 2001-11-17 02:59:00 »
Okay, I just finished this really good rendition of "The Prelude" from FF9.   Only now, I can't decide which FF8 song it should replace in the mod.

So, this is where you come in.  I would appreciate your suggestions on where to put it.  Ideally, it should fit in somewhere in the actual game, not just for credits or any of the title screen stuff.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #1 on: 2001-11-27 01:06:00 »
(THINKS!)  Actually it would be pretty cool in the credits.

The Prelude is only used for the "The End" screen in FF9 anyway.

[EDIT] The opening credits I mean.
[edited] 44 2001-11-27 02:06

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2001-11-27 02:52:00 »
Yeah, I know, I've tried it in the credits, but I'm not so sure it would fit as nice as the other mod songs do in the places they are in.

My current idea is to place it in the spot where Quistis and Squall go to the "Secret Area" after Squall's Graduation.  The song also appears at one point in Trabia Garden, but I don't want to say where because of the possibility of spoiling.  It probably fits better in the Trabia Garden spot I put it in, though.

And about the rendition, it'll be just a *little* different than in FF9.  The part of the flute is first being done by the "fantasia" instrument (aka "new age" on some sound cards), to give it that aureal, "sparkling" quality that makes it sound almost mysterious.  However, the traditional flute  (which is just AWESOME in Samuel's DLS) is STILL in there, it comes in and plays parallel the fantasia instrument at about the same time the drums come in.  Heck, the octave range of that thing can get so high it causes my speakers to *crackle* a bit.  But I think that won't be a problem on other speaker sets :grin:

It'll be really neat, I consider this rendition my "tribute" to what could be considered the Final Fantasy series' "timeless classic".

Still,  by all means keep throwing suggestions at me!  I'm still open to ideas about where to put the song.

Also, I have a new question:  How many people here have actually used my mod?  And for those of you who have played FF9 PSX (wait, that's the ONLY version...), how do you rate my work in comparison to the PSX soundtrack?

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2001-11-27 12:29:00 »
I haven't used your patch but I plan to try it out this weekend.

That sounds like a good place to put the song... but I'm thinking and I can't really think of any other place that would be good for it.  We haven't heard it for anything besiedes credits really since FF5 (in FF6 they did use it for the "Training House" or whatever).

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-11-27 23:30:00 »
Great!  I look forward to the review.....

However, the Prelude is not in the current version of the mod available on the FFSF site.  

It WILL be included in the next version, which I intend to release soon, as in a few weeks.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2001-11-28 19:28:00 »
Ah, ok.  I remember seeing it when I went to download the FF8 DLS... you have the battle theme and world map done I think I remember?

Oh well... will try soon.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-11-28 23:52:00 »
Yes, plus the FF9 boss battle theme!

I use it as the X-ATM092 (the Spider bot from the Dollet mission) Theme.  The French horn and Distortion Guitar are almost exact to the PSX Soundtrack, but that's only when using the Samuel's DLS version.  The drums in the current version need to be tweaked as well, that'll be fixed in the upcoming version of the mod.