Author Topic: In which I attempt voice acting  (Read 5374 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
In which I attempt voice acting
« on: 2010-11-05 23:55:13 »
So, the other day, I saw this kickass video (yes, I know it's three years old) by David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake. He's behaving like Snake, but I was disappointed that he didn't do the voice. But then, I got a deviously brilliant idea: dub over it. And so that's just what I did.

Thoughts?

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: In which I attempt voice acting
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-06 00:04:34 »
If that's your voice, that's damn spot on.  Pretty impressive dude.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-06 00:10:31 »
That is indeed my voice. Took anywhere from five to fifteen takes per line, and a TON of water, before I got recordings I was satisfied with. Even so, I feel it came out a bit stilted and unnatural, because I was trying to somewhat match the timing of the original video. Also could have been way better if I'd had a soundproofed room to record in (as opposed to my dorm room and Audacity's "noise removal" filter), and a better pop filter (I'm using a homemade one from a paper towel for the filter and the rim of a cheap plastic bowl as a frame).

I wanted to record an intro in which I do the voice live just to prove it's really me (which SHOULD be obvious by the fact that David Hayter never recorded those lines in the Snake voice, but average youtube viewers aren't generally smart enough to figure that out), but I don't have a camera.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-06 00:14:42 by Solid Covarr »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-06 00:11:07 »
A fellow MGS fan :D i do a damn good snake, if i do say so myself. I had to double take though, I honestly thought it was him haha

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-06 00:39:25 »
Damn dude, good job.  That's quite an impressive impression... I may have you replace Isaiah Mustafa as my voicemail message voice dude.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-06 01:05:46 »
I liked your DS vs PSP video. Have you ever considered working in advertising? I'm sure Apple would hire you!

What's scary is that it's so similar to serious video game arguments people have on the internet. O_____o

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-06 01:41:29 »
I liked your DS vs PSP video. Have you ever considered working in advertising? I'm sure Apple would hire you!

What's scary is that it's so similar to serious video game arguments people have on the internet. O_____o
I had to disable comments on that video because people kept taking it seriously. :(
I swear, YouTube commenters tend to be some of the dumbest folks on all the internet.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-06 02:06:30 »
I had to disable comments on that video because people kept taking it seriously. :(
I swear, YouTube commenters tend to be some of the dumbest folks on all the internet.

I don't think they were stupid at all. They'd probably heard many serious arguments like that, and based on that experience, they were assuming that this was another one. What the internet teaches you is that when you're not sure whether a person saying something stupid is trolling or being serious, it's usually the latter.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-06 03:54:52 »
Wow, that's a really impressive snake voice!!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-06 04:07:24 »
I concur, that is pretty good!

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-06 05:31:46 »

I don't think they were stupid at all. They'd probably heard many serious arguments like that, and based on that experience, they were assuming that this was another one. What the internet teaches you is that when you're not sure whether a person saying something stupid is trolling or being serious, it's usually the latter.
No, they were stupid. "omfg u f**ng fgt ur wrong psp is way better ds sucks ass" was pretty typical of the comments I was getting.

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-06 07:20:44 »
Fanboys like that are the very worst.  How they managed birth is a mystery.