Author Topic: [FF8] world map and objects (world.fs)  (Read 69103 times)

Halfer

• View Profile
Re: [FF8] world map and objects (world.fs)
« Reply #50 on: 2015-06-04 18:55:29 »
Tried it before, no changes :( . That's interesting, I wonder if it was accidentally left out in the old release.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2015-06-04 19:21:01 »
I guess some one with the steam version here could send you these files. I'm currently not on my notebook so I can't.

By the way doesn't Aali's driver run the game trough OpenGL?

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2015-06-04 19:24:41 »
Yeah it does, that's why I'm guessing that this problem occurs on my PC. I posted pictures couple posts back where you can see what happens when i run the game in direct3d. Actually now that I remember it does this only when I set it on windowed mode. Haven't tried it in full screen.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2015-06-05 19:29:01 »
The high-res textures are only used in the Steam version. The original PC version will never use them.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #54 on: 2015-06-06 19:59:20 »
The high-res textures are only used in the Steam version. The original PC version will never use them.

Were they just never implemented into the PC game, even though the files exist?

Sounds like they had to rush it, considering the UV/walkmesh in the PC version is also incorrect.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2015-06-07 01:26:46 »
It seems more likely the high-res textures were cut out due to performance issues. The worldmap module in FF8 is extremely inefficient and I doubt it ran very well even on mid-range hardware at the time it was released.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2015-06-09 18:40:45 »
I added a nice feature to my ultimate mem/asm hack, this loads map portions by offset to specific memory blocks, to make the map tile by this specific uploaded chunk from wmx.obj (real-time).

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKFb4x5bl8&feature=youtu.be

It really looks like it goes by role like from top left to bottom right with horizontal lines. Just like you wrote Halfer. :)
I'm going to do a test by changing camera root position*, leaving Squall safe on sea, so he can't catch exception, and auto-rotating camera tangent X for something like "showcase" of WM chunks. :D

*See more cool camera features available to hack at: http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF8/Engine/WorldMapCamera
« Last Edit: 2015-06-09 18:45:03 by MaKiPL »

kaspar01

• FFVIII Fan & Collector , 3D Artist , FF8RP-WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2015-06-09 20:16:11 »
The zoom looks cool!

Anyway I'm really happy to see you're making big steps here!

Are you planning to create an exporter for the world map mesh like the one you did for battle stage?

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2015-06-09 20:36:11 »
All thanks goes to Halfer. He is a master here. ;)

WMX is structured the other way than battle stages. Stitching 837 chunks can be painful to code. I ought to think about completely fresh solution to perform conversion.

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2015-06-09 22:21:54 »
Great! :D Happy to be helpful here!

Looking forward to your tools, seems like you have put much effort for these tools! Keep it up :D.

I think that exporter could be a good thing but leaving it as an exporter/importer wouldn't make much sense. The problem would be the way FF8 engine handles the file, like Aali said earlier. It needs a bit more studying how to implement more complex geometries to FF8 without crashing the game/slowing it down significantly. Speaking of geometries, textures are the underlying problem right now. Maybe for starters the exporter/importer could work as a tester for engine capabilities. Maybe in the future the program could be a proper editor with 3d view.

By the way, MaKiPL, have you encountered to crash on world map with camera zoom (under 300) when flying ragnarok on top of esthar and flying back to bridge? For me it seems to mess up the textures from the bridge and after that crashes.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-09 22:23:30 by Halfer »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2015-06-11 16:16:05 »
Halfer, could you upload a flat walkable ground you posted in first screenshot here? Working with smaller data is always better. Thanks.

And ya. Just tested, and setting zoom under 300 and flew from bridge to Esthar. Crashed. Weird.

I attached Visual Studio debugger to FF8. At first time the game gone crazy, the bridge just dissapeared (no rail texture, just black) and I just teleported to Balamb (Sic!). However, my party was empty (no visible characters), but still I managed to get out of town and just appeared as Squall in front of Balamb on world map. My ragnarok of course was flying in sky in last position... Weird.
Second time I finally ran to exception.

Code: [Select]
First-chance exception at 0x00545F36 in FF8_EN.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x36382834.
I now have memory locations I can investigate.

0x00545F36 is MOV opcode.
NOP'ing freezes game.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-11 16:47:15 by MaKiPL »

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2015-06-11 17:46:07 »
http://pastebin.com/GZVNkcL5

Here you go, one block, remember that there are 16 blocks in one section. I guess this was what you meant? The texture section (last 4 bytes of each triangle) has been changed to "88 88 88 88", makes it look like in the very first post and is landable and walkable. Hopefully you can insert the values as in text. At least HxD editor can do this.

Yeah the crash was pretty odd. It seemed like the memory couldn't keep up with the data or something like that.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-11 17:48:45 by Halfer »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2015-06-17 11:58:00 »
I finally made it! I tricked engine to think I am ragnarok, so I can walk on everything I want (sea, mountains). I've been hunting this for days!

Here, in FF8_EN.EXE (Steam) ASM opcode:
FF8_EN.exe+13E370 - mov ebx,[FF8_EN.exe+1C409E0]   (0x0053E370)

Halfer, your memory theory is correct. Game just can't keep up so much memory (because the variables are static) and overwrites some core data that is in fact pointer and orders engine to read memory at ~0x7... (but it's unallocated, so it's null, and access violation exception is fired)

Also this:
0x020409E0 in memory tracks your current vehicle status. Here's the list:
#HEX!
00 - Squall on feet
20 - invisible low fuel car
30 - Balamb Garden
31 - *Crash*
32 - Ragnarok
Some variables makes Squall go maximally undermap, that's because vehicle doesn't exist on worldmap. For example if you rent a car, then some variable instead of digging you up to the ground just warps you to this car. Unfortunately, I lost "Blue sky car" from Balamb variable. Also warping should work on whole map (Vehicle is warping to your location). You can place Balamb next to ragnarok in seconds.

kaspar01

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2015-06-17 12:15:28 »
00 - Squall on feet
20 - invisible low fuel car
30 - Balamb Garden
31 - *Crash*
32 - Ragnarok

Good job maki!

The list isn't supposed to contain something for chocobo as well, isn't? (maybe 31 is that or there is something missing)

I wonder what happen when you're not driving the vehicles .. (happen whith garden car , boat during dollet mission and trains)..

Actually driving the trains or the assault boat would be damn cool XD

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2015-06-17 12:46:19 »
Ye, it warps you to actually available on map cars and vehicles. There must be variables for chocobo, cars, trains, even boat or "vessel" as they call it in-game. I'll try to find them, gather in one place, make a documentation and save. :)

@UPDATE - Aaaand, You we're right! 31 is for chocobo! Also 10 is for train, but it's completely uncontrollable and problematic.
22 for blue sky car
I could memory hack to swap models. (Just like I did with world map chunks)
Saves does not contain defiinition for Chocobo. Unfortunately.

Today's video:
https://youtu.be/dosLK8DiuU8

I'm driving train and flying with Lunatic Pandora. :D
« Last Edit: 2015-06-17 15:20:59 by MaKiPL »

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2015-06-18 08:53:42 »
Great job! :D

That blue sky car is probably the model for the thing that is blocking access to towns in disc 4 :P

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2015-07-06 11:54:44 »
I created a tool that converts the world map geometry into known Wavefront .obj format. It's available for download in the Tools section.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2015-07-06 22:12:37 »
Wow! First post and releases full tool for world map conversion. You are good. :3
Thank you!

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2015-07-08 15:50:07 »
I've done some progress with my texture exporting using Blue's program as a base:

Texture coordinates should be correct right now.
I still need to figure out the process of changing texture page and CLUT info on the fly while exporting. It may or may not take a while, but after that I'll release an updated exporter ;).

EDIT: Some eye candy without CLUT info:

The program now automatically switches texture pages, however water textures don't still work because they are presented a bit differently due to their animation data, but i'm gonna add it too (without animation of course). aaand they are done.

And of course the next thing is to take CLUT info into account. I'm still not entirely sure how to make this happen :(. The image should be somehow exported as 128x128 whereas every tile has own  CLUT already corrected.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-08 21:38:34 by Halfer »

kaspar01

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2015-07-09 13:30:45 »
And off course the next thing is to take CLUT info into account. I'm still not entirely sure how to make this happen :(. The image should be somehow exported as 128x128 whereas every tile has own  CLUT already corrected.

Don't worry for that.. I'm not expert about how to automatically do it but get the correct texture for these maps is pretty simple (it just take some time) because the textures are always in a 4x4 grid for the hi-res in textL file or 4x8 grid (for the low res version.. in wmsetus? not sure)

Beside that luckly  the "right color clut position" always follow the same order for these textures... I mean the first clut is always the top-left piec of the grid and so on..

You can see some sample of the "already correct" textures I made some time ago on this ol post of mine:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13787.msg193708#msg193708

If you need them for testing purpose I can send you the final textures already processed I made  :)

P.S.

this new version of the tool is already avaiable somewhere for download?

I'd like to try it :)

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2015-07-09 14:38:02 »
Yeah, I'm aware of the positions, thanks to timviewer, but I'm pretty sure that it is possible to do it automatically, though with some work. Well I'll have to look on that later on.

Yeah I'd like to test the processed textures if you could send them somehow to me. I'll release the program probably today after making sure that I haven't made any UV calculation errors so the corrected textures would be nice :).

kaspar01

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2015-07-09 15:39:44 »
Yeah, I'm aware of the positions, thanks to timviewer, but I'm pretty sure that it is possible to do it automatically, though with some work. Well I'll have to look on that later on.
It's possible for sure but I have no idea about how to write a tool that automatically process tim files..at the time I created a simple script/action sequence in photoshop to make the work faster.

Yeah I'd like to test the processed textures if you could send them somehow to me. I'll release the program probably today after making sure that I haven't made any UV calculation errors so the corrected textures would be nice :).
I'll upload them somewhere in a zip and send you a link as soon as I get back home :)

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2015-07-09 21:09:36 »
Seems like this will take at least a day still, it is mostly working correctly like this:

I still do have some problems with galbadia area and some textures for some reason. Have to think about them tomorrow

kaspar01

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2015-07-09 21:36:04 »
Glad to see this :)

At the moment I just wonder about Balamb Garden Mesh.. I can see only the "hole".. and there is a copy of the same zone but whith the garden in the right place...
so the map has some "interchangable" chunks.. interesting! :D

Can't wait to see the tool complete to place every "alternative" mesh to the right place just to see what changes from one to the other  :P

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2015-07-09 21:39:19 »
Well you can view them later with textures once I get this fixed :P they are found under the world map.

Can't wait to see the tool complete to place every "alternative" mesh to the right place just to see what changes from one to the other  :P

Haven't really given a thought about this yet but I can see it happening with future updates ;)