Author Topic: Hello and would like to help!  (Read 7790 times)

Holyone

Hello and would like to help!
« on: 2011-07-22 13:43:19 »
Hello everyone H1 here  ;D
Didnt see an introduction thread, sorry if I missed it somewhere else.

Ive read alot of what you are all doing and it looks amazing! I would love to help!

Im pretty good in photoshop but would have to learn one of the 3d modeling programs. So my first question is which one should i invest my time into learning?? 3dsmax, blender, sketchup? How is it you guys do the texturing? I know the basics in sketch up. Ill learn the program quickly Im sure, as I have alot of time on my hands currently.

Thought this was somewhat relevant so heres another group that did something similar: http://www.renegade-x.com/site/

Maybe some other people from that team/game would be willing to help TA out as well?

Anyways, thought Id introduce myself. Hopefuly get started in learning this stuff to help you all out!

Sapphire

• View Profile
Re: Hello and would like to help!
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-22 15:05:37 »
I'm a mere grunt in Team Avalanche however I will tell you what my fellow team members will say.

We would love to see some staff you've made, and not just a website with a whole assortment of things.
You should present only your stuff to us, as without a solid lead on what you're capable of, we have no idea if we need your help.

Please get some work that you've made up here.

Holyone

« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-01 21:28:25 »
Alright well as a start, I Installed 3DSMAX and have been watching all the tutorials I could find for noobs. This program is like Photoshop on steroids! Going to attempt to model something starting this weekend, will do something easy like a PS3. Hopefully that will get me a basic understanding and then i can move on to a scene in FFVII?

Anyone find that site on RenegadeX useful? Has anyone contacted their team to see if the would help with this project?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-01 22:29:26 »
Just a FYI, both scenes i modeled for the bombing mission were with 0 experience with a 3d program, so it definitely can be done. Good luck :)

Holyone

« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-09 02:05:22 »
Just a FYI, both scenes i modeled for the bombing mission were with 0 experience with a 3d program, so it definitely can be done. Good luck :)

Thanks for the encouragement! Now my first question.. how do you guys go about getting your perspective right? I am moving around 3DSmax better after watching a whole bunch of tutorials. Im doing it by eye.. just looking back and fourth.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-09 13:32:50 »
Just a little heads up, I've already completed that scene.

Holyone

« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-09 20:19:32 »
Lol! Its the first time Ive done anything in 3DS.. I just picked a scene I THOUGHT would be easy, but like I said I cant get the perspective right..

How is it you start?

Do you Retrace it in 2D and then turn it into 3d?

I know once I get it started right I should be able to take off with this!

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-09 21:00:35 »
Holyone.....

There are several ways to start on the field files...

One way to start is to set the fieldscene in your background in the perspective viewport (Alt-b in Max)
create a plane (it helps if you know the dimensions) and match it up with the floor (perspective) add the walls and off you go.
once you've placed the planes, you might make them transparent (alt-x) so you still can see the background.
after that create all the objects, and place them correctly in the scene.

The way SL and several other started, was doing it in sketchup, there is a possibility to set a dimensional grid to match the camera to the field image.

You can also project the image through camera mapping on a plane, but that's a bit more difficult I think.

You might also want to take a look at camera matching tutorials within max itself.

I hope this helps you a bit on your way.
 8)

Holyone

« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-09 21:14:48 »
Awesome! Will def try that when Im home!

Thanks alot!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-09 22:39:15 »
I never used sketchup. I eyeballed everything.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-09 22:54:37 »
Yeah, halkun was the one using sketchup, mainly. Here's a few tutorial videos he made for it.

Holyone

« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-11 06:59:48 »
Thanks for that link!
Been trying it in SketchUp, Thanks Halkun!

Am I doing things right?
Matching it to the picture.. the geometry isnt asymmetrical.

Hopefully if I get better it wont take me so long just to get to this point lol