Author Topic: Anyone lift here?  (Read 6722 times)

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
Anyone lift here?
« on: 2010-06-17 20:38:25 »
I'm starting an HST cycle next monday.

current goal is to get to 2 dollar mark in weight. and increase amount of all lifts by 25%

idl12

• View Profile
Re: Anyone lift here?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-17 21:46:12 »
I always start the 8 week ingnition process but crap out after 4 weeks most of the time, when I'm motivated I'm really motivated, when I'm lazy I'm REALLY  lazy...

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-17 23:26:14 »
I use rippetoe...... works GREAT!

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-18 00:33:18 »
I always start the 8 week ingnition process but crap out after 4 weeks most of the time, when I'm motivated I'm really motivated, when I'm lazy I'm REALLY  lazy...
Bring a friend; fantastic for motivation. Especially bring someone who knows what they're doing. My younger brother was like workout obsessed (he kinda got me into it) and he made my beginner noob days a lot easier. He understood form, knew what to eat, and all that stuff. Plus whenever I struggled he made it fun for me by joking around. He'd say dumb things like "get on my level, son" or if you didn't finish a set and were pretended to be done (say you only did 7 reps), he'd go "I saw that, remember Michael, the only person you're cheating is yourself." Funny thing was sometimes I'd be spotting him and I'd count. Maybe for weighted dips he might only get 9 reps, so i'd be like "you're only cheating yourself." He'd avoid the question, make his fat face then he'd go "get on my level son, then we'll talk"
I use rippetoe...... works GREAT!
which one? rippetoes starting strength?

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-18 01:13:51 »
Bring a friend; fantastic for motivation.
Hehe easier said than done, most of my friends live really far away from me and my neighbours refuse to talk to me. My uncle used to help me out a lot with the motivation thing, He said the same things your little brother said , but he's a busy guy, of course with summer coming up, I'll be making another attempt to get of my lazy ass, I've a good feeling about this time though, of course  I say this every time, but whatever maybe a girl will come along to motivate me or something(Now that's a good one)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-18 01:29:24 »
starting strength, just  keep using it till your gains c rap out, and if your not freaking ripped then to me ya cant do much better than rippetoe.

I gained 35 lbs and got my bench up by 55-60 lbs in like 1-1/2 months. Made it to 190 but I dont have weights anymore, and now im like 165...its not fair :(

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-18 05:46:18 »
P90X is the shit, that stuff will kick your ass and make you look great.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-18 17:23:38 »
P90X is the sh*t, that stuff will kick your ass and make you look great.
If I could afford it, and if I had enough space in my house, and if I had a pair of matching dumbbells, and if I had a pull up bar, I would do the P90X. But I'm going to a university this fall, I'll see what I can do then.

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-18 18:52:34 »
i've heard some good things about p90x. never tried it out myself. just wondering, does p90x use any of the barbell exercises? especially the 3 powerlifts: squat, bench, deadlift. looks interesting though, most traditional workouts have you working out every part of your body every week, except on break weeks, p90x has you doing a body part about 1/2 of the total 11 or 12 weeks.

If I could afford it, and if I had enough space in my house, and if I had a pair of matching dumbbells, and if I had a pull up bar, I would do the P90X. But I'm going to a university this fall, I'll see what I can do then.
if you're gonna try and build mass/strength and you're a beginner try Rippetoes starting strength. p90x is pretty expensive for a university student like $120. If you have an on-campus gym, I'd recommend that over p90x. Cause p90x seems more like a cutting routine than a bulking routine. If you want muscle mass, heavy resistance training all the way. Actually, if you're looking for muscle mass try Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST), hypertrophy is just making your muscles look bigger =P. But usually when there's hypertrophy there's strength gains.

BTW, where are you going to University? Freshie in September here.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-18 20:32:18 »
Central Washington University

The reason I mentioned university is that at least some campuses HAVE the P90X available to students. I dunno if CWU does or not. As for bulking vs cutting, this is exactly what I need. Gotta get rid of the belly, especially if I want to make it as a musical theatre major.

romeo14

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-19 02:30:10 »
i work out all the time and i think just good old fashioned free weights get the job done  8)

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-19 03:12:44 »
i work out all the time and i think just good old fashioned free weights get the job done  8)

most programs are good old fashioned way. they're just different routines. like rippetoes starting strength is focused on deadlifting, squatting and benching. good ole normal resistance training.

they're just organized so you can get the best gains.

but yeah bodybuilding has become a lot more complicated now. I remember when I started. Just whey, barbells, free weights, and a couple machines. Now, i've got a multi, creatine, whey, fish oil, and i'm thinking of dropping some money on bioforge (for forskolin).

nice build though.