Author Topic: Mako Reactor remake WIP - CE3  (Read 10017 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Mako Reactor remake WIP - CE3
« on: 2011-07-18 17:57:29 »
Hey guys, I just got Crysis 2 for the newly released Editor, and It's really quite nice. I've been fiddling around with it for a couple of days, and this is what I've made so far:

I'm really liking the new lighting effects, and it's much easier to create indoor environments than it was in CE2.

It's still heavily WIP, but what do you guys think?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Re: Mako Reactor remake WIP - CE3
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-19 01:47:59 »
Looks awesome!!!  Pardon my ignorance, but this is just a map for Crysis right?  Its not the first reactor mission in Cryengine or a map that could be used in a mod right?  Either way, it is pretty sweet.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-19 04:47:13 »
Well, it's a map for Crysis 2, but technically It could be used as part of a mod if someone were to take up the task of making a FF7 mod for CE3. It could probably be converted to the standalone CE3 when that gets released too.

Got a decent update for yall - it's coming together pretty well now:
Probably the most memorable camera angle from FF7, is finished here:

The bridge view:

The top of the room view, before you descend the ladder (this one's still wip, just made it):

A side view of the wall near the bridge, and a view of the ceiling just for kicks:

So what do you guys think? I'd say it's certainly come a long way from my CE2 version, but CE3 has much better tools for making indoor areas now, and I'd also say I'm more skilled in general then I was when I made this one:

Not sure if it's more the engine's fault, or my improvements as a mapper that my new one looks so much better.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-19 05:00:24 by BloodShot »

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-20 00:30:25 »
totally killer! I used to be huge in mapping for the HL2 engine a few years ago. I'm jealous of the new engines where poly count and vis-blocking don't really need to be considered anymore. They used to be huge hurdles to overcome in order to make large-open maps. Now the cryengine just lets your imagination run wild without the tight restrictions of engines past.

Looking forward to more screenshots!
Lee

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-20 01:20:50 »
could you use that potentially via screenshots in ff7 ? i think even w/ that area hacked together if you can line up the walk mesh it would look really nice in game (just a thought) . hate to see that hard work go to waste  ;)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-20 06:04:06 »
Here's a little preview of the piece I just finished:

look familiar?

(The level is being made out of existing assets, and the solids tool [think very basic brushes], btw)

Expect some more screens and a flyby soon, I would now but I have to finish installing WMM.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-20 06:08:51 by BloodShot »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-20 18:38:00 »

Update: Made a flyby video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbXGG6lQRQ

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-20 18:44:27 »
What gives? No materia for me to pick up?! :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-21 00:39:03 »
great job! maybe some upward spot lighting near the reactor to throw some sick shadows onto the reactor itself. Not canon at all, but it would look absolutely killer.
A few more large pipes running around and some additional lifts and ladders and this could make a very frantic vertical deathmatch.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-21 01:08:36 »
i'm not too familiar with the cryengine - but how exactly are you making this? modeling it up, or mashing together stock assets to look awesome?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-21 01:11:43 »
i'd guess it a combination of handmade brushwork like the catwalk, ladders, and support columns, and prefab assets such as the pipes you see everywhere. Whatever the case, its looking sweet

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-21 01:41:38 »
Actually, you got it a bit backwards ;) The ladders, catwalks, and the (large) supports are assets in the game I combined together with the best stuff I could find, the smaller yellow crossbeams and the curved pipes are brushwork.

Either way, I'm trying to do my best to keep it as much as I can within existing assets or slightly edited materials to keep the size down, and that way I don't have to model anything. I'm sure it would look better if I modeled new assets though, but that's me being lazy :P

Oh yeah, btw, you mean like this?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-21 01:56:10 »
bug SL and spoox for the background meshes n import those :P

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-22 03:17:41 »
I'm sure it would look better if I modeled new assets though, but that's me being lazy :P

Oh yeah, btw, you mean like this?

doesn't the cryengine have an easy way to convert brushwork into model files? Its a trick employed by any good source engine mapper, since models don't strain video cards as much as static brush work(in that engine). and the lighting looks good, though i was thinking maybe 5 of them evenly placed around the reactor, with a high angle, and lower intensity. looks great!

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-22 18:41:34 »
Actually yes it does (save to cgf), and I already did it to save on performance, because those crossbeams were eating at my FPS. It wouldn't have mattered as much if I was on my desktop, but I'm on a laptop so I kinda needed to.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-24 00:22:37 »
Small update, started making the Station:

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-25 05:28:24 »
Almost done!

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-25 05:30:01 »
Damn you're quick!  And definitely quality work.  Lookin real good :)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-25 22:17:29 »
Started working on the TOD & sky, trying to give it a midgar feel, but i think I might've gone overboard with the green a bit :/

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-25 22:20:00 »
add a bit of yellow