Author Topic: Super Nintendo (updated)  (Read 20493 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Super Nintendo (updated)
« on: 2006-06-22 23:22:04 »
Anybody else have this system? Personally, I think it is the best Nintendo system ever.

I'm currently trying to deck out my SNES by unsoldering the standard red power LED and replacing it with a neon blue one. I'm also painting flames on the sides and adding a 50Hz/60Hz switch and a few other things. It proved very troblesome opening up the actual console, as it is screwed shut very tightly with 4.5 mm flower shaped screws. I had to buy a special tool just to open it. I'll post pictures when it is done. Anyways, I'm trying to complete my SNES squaresoft collection, as well as other "must-haves".

So far, I have:

Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
--as well as--
Super Metroid
Star Fox
Donkey Kong 2 & 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Sim City
Pocky and Rocky II
Gradius III
NBA Hang-Time (sucks)
NCAA Basketball (sucks)
Tetris/Dr. Mario
T.M.N.T. IV: Turtles in Time
Where's Waldo (sucks)
Godzilla (sucks)

I'm trying to obtain:

Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Secret of Evermore
Breath of Fire
--as well as--
Earthbound ($$$...  :-o)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World II: Yoshi's Island

Have I missed any worthwhile SNES games?

« Last Edit: 2006-07-21 05:03:57 by RPGillespie »

Synergy Blades

Re: Super Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-23 00:21:57 »
unsoldering the standard red power LED and replacing it with a neon blue one. I'm also painting flames on the sides

You boy racer, you.  :-P

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-23 05:25:02 »
Yoshi's Island ^^

APOSEIGd15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-23 06:32:34 »
Well, there are the Megaman X games, but they may/may not be a genre you would be interested in.

I don't think I've ever seen Where's Waldo though..

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-23 07:15:42 »
Based on the fact that you own Tetris/Dr. Mario, I can assume that you like puzzle games. Therefore, you should get Tetris Attack. Nothing like Tetris, it is actually based on the Japanese "Panel de Pon", one of the most fun puzzle game concepts ever. Also, you should get Yoshi's Cookie, another puzzle game.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-23 20:29:29 »
Based on the fact that you own Tetris/Dr. Mario, I can assume that you like puzzle games. Therefore, you should get Tetris Attack. Nothing like Tetris, it is actually based on the Japanese "Panel de Pon", one of the most fun puzzle game concepts ever. Also, you should get Yoshi's Cookie, another puzzle game.

Being the nerd that I am, I get Nintendo Power magazine, and that reminds me that they're coming out with a puzzle game featuring Harvest Moon characters for (don't quote me on this) ...DS?  Anyway, it's supposed to be based off of Panel de Pon, that's why it's called Puzzle de Harvest Moon or something weird like that.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-23 20:57:10 »
Where's Tales of Phantasia in there? O_________________________O!!

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-23 21:35:15 »
Quote from: Synergy Blades
You boy racer, you.
That's me  :lol:, maybe I'll put some NOS in my SNES as well...

Where's Tales of Phantasia in there? O_________________________O!!

I don't have a Super Famicom; Tales of Phantasia was only released in Japan. Actually, my SNES can play famicom games, but I'm not a ninja, and cannot read japanese.

Well, there are the Megaman X games, but they may/may not be a genre you would be interested in.

Ah yes, I probably should get those as well, but that would mean more $$$...

Based on the fact that you own Tetris/Dr. Mario, I can assume that you like puzzle games. Therefore, you should get Tetris Attack.
Correct assumption! Hmm, never heard of it, but I'll try it out, thanks^^.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-06-24 05:21:42 »
Quote from: RPGillespie
but I'm not a ninja, and cannot read japanese.

Fortunately, I can do both....

*disappears mysteriously*

Seriously though, this sounds like a neat project.  I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-06-24 21:36:07 »
I don't have a Super Famicom; Tales of Phantasia was only released in Japan. Actually, my SNES can play famicom games, but I'm not a ninja, and cannot read japanese

Ohh.. I recently played the GBA remake and heard it was originally a SNES game. Didn't know it wasn't released in USA or whatever.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-06-24 22:38:16 »
I don't have a Super Famicom; Tales of Phantasia was only released in Japan. Actually, my SNES can play famicom games, but I'm not a ninja, and cannot read japanese

Ohh.. I recently played the GBA remake and heard it was originally a SNES game. Didn't know it wasn't released in USA or whatever.

It was released for the Super Famicom, basically the Japanese version of the SNES, but slightly different, and with more games.
At least we got the good ones, right?  Like FFIII, and Crono Trigger, and although it slightly embarasses me to say it, Earthbound.

Click HERE to see various Super Famicom cartridges.
« Last Edit: 2006-06-24 23:29:30 by MagiMaster »

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-06-24 23:43:13 »
Final Fantasy VI, I'm sure you mean.

The U.S. didn't see Final Fantasies II or III, and for some reason thereafter, the U.S. dubbed Final Fantasy IV as Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy VI as Final Fantasy III.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-06-25 00:07:06 »
I might be worng because I couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes, but I think that Mystic Quest is a quiet horrible game. I suggest you get Illusion of Time and, specially, Terranigma. Stunt Reace FX and Parodius where pretty good too.
I'd suggest several others but all of them are Jap :-P
NOTE: Yeah those damn game bit screws... the GC uses them too.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-06-25 00:48:14 »

It was released for the Super Famicom, basically the Japanese version of the SNES, but slightly different, and with more games.
At least we got the good ones, right?  Like FFIII, and Crono Trigger, and although it slightly embarasses me to say it, Earthbound.

Click HERE to see various Super Famicom cartridges.

WOW! And I thought the American SNES cartridges looked weird O_o
Btw, does the first picture say 1985?! When was the Super Famicon released actually?

The U.S. didn't see Final Fantasies II or III, and for some reason thereafter, the U.S. dubbed Final Fantasy IV as Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy VI as Final Fantasy III.

It is VI but was named III in America because it was the third to be released there.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-06-25 01:00:14 »
Those pics aren't all Super Famicom. The Wrecking Crew one, at least, is the old Famicom (NES).

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-25 01:31:31 »

You are thinking of the Japanese NES Final Fantasy's 2 & 3.
As chaoscontrol said, FFIII was the North American release of FFVI as it was the 3rd Final Fantasy released for the US as opposed to the 6th Final Fantasy for Japan. Same game, different name. (Hey, I'm a poet and I didn't even know realize it.)
« Last Edit: 2006-06-25 01:34:00 by RPGillespie »

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-25 11:21:47 »
Yeah i still got my snes i have maded my mind up now im going to make this

so i can play my games and play online to http://www.zbattle.net/

here how to make one http://s89078276.onlinehome.us/emubox/snesadapter/snesadapter.html

o and the USA FF3 is Japans FF6
and the USA FF2 was made easyer then the Japanese one

RPGillespie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-25 17:49:37 »
Yeah i still got my snes i have maded my mind up now im going to make this
<picture>
so i can play my games and play online to http://www.zbattle.net/

Huh, that's not really an SNES, it's a computer with an SNES emulator called ZSNES, with controller ports installed. Might be easier just to get this. Still pretty cool though.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-25 21:26:54 »
lol yeah it be easer but i want to make something

By the way i got like 20 games all in there box's still snes still in box. The box is a little riped but it ok all black bagged up in my attic that why i use zsnes now.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-25 22:08:16 »
Some company made empty gameboy carts. Why not use it along with the SNES adapter (gameboy cart adapter) to get the games you want? Mystic Quest sucks, get Beavis and Butthead! I loved that game, along with WWE.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-26 00:25:06 »
Some company made empty gameboy carts. Why not use it along with the SNES adapter (gameboy cart adapter) to get the games you want? Mystic Quest sucks, get Beavis and Butthead! I loved that game, along with WWE.
You know you are only supposed to download games you already own?

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-26 03:07:35 »
Yes indeed.  :wink: Lets say I own it, IN MY COMPUTER!!!111 LoL!1
The adapter was official, though. I actually had the commercial version of those, but SNES broke so you must take good care of yours. I play better translated games on computer now.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-26 20:09:36 »
Mystic Quest was so easy, yet so stupid, I wondered at its very existence.  You realize that almost every RPG cliche is executed in the game.  For example, the towns' names annoyed me.  What were they again?  Foresta, Watermia, Fireburg, and Windia, or something like that :roll:.
It was probably intended for firt-time RPGers, who didn't care as much.  Besides, it wasn't that bad.  I enjoyed going around with the hookshot thingy!

bluesummers182

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-26 21:12:44 »
You know you are only supposed to download games you already own?
Wrong... For some reason it's illegal to download them even if you do have them.  Making you're own ROMs is the only legal way of having them.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-06-26 21:26:42 »
I've dumped my entire GBA collection, and pretty much only put the ones I'm currently interested in on my flash cartridge. It's a lot more space-saving than carrying an entire collection, and completely legal (I buy and dump myself, rather than downloading).