Author Topic: what i have been doing....  (Read 3900 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
what i have been doing....
« on: 2010-07-20 21:30:13 »
I've still been posting, but i haven't been producing too much lately. It's because i've been totally absorbed by a recent hosehold project... concrete countertops. We finally got everything lined up the other day and managed to get one poured...but the a-hole at the store didn't sell us nearly enough concrete. We going for round 2 tonight, and we have PLENTY of concrete to finish the job.

some shots of the forms:

and the one finished piece, i flipped it over today:

The finished piece turned out decent, but it's gonna need some filling in of holes. We didn't vibrate it enough, but its no biggie. I still have to wet sand them to get them super slick, then stain and seal em. I'll post more pics as i get more finished. Until then, i'll do what i can for ff7, but this stuff comes first.

lee

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
Re: what i have been doing....
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-20 22:12:23 »
Looking at the third picture, it looks like you're sticking a window in your concrete countertop ???

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-20 22:19:19 »
@ Seer: it's probably for a sink.

@ Pyrozen: Dude thats going to be a mother not only lifting but keeping from cracking as you move it just cause of the length to thickness ratio. But then hopefully you got the right concrete for it. I'm not trying to downcast you or your project. Just giving you warnings from my experience making concrete benches. Should have split it into at least three sections to make it more manage-able. Otherwise looks like a good job.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-20 22:21:16 »
@ Seer: it's probably for a sink.

Ah, that would make sense :)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-20 22:57:52 »
Dude thats going to be a mother not only lifting but keeping from cracking as you move it just cause of the length to thickness ratio. But then hopefully you got the right concrete for it. I'm not trying to downcast you or your project. Just giving you warnings from my experience making concrete benches. Should have split it into at least three sections to make it more manage-able. Otherwise looks like a good job.

Yes, it is heavy as hell but definitly not immobile. Me and a friend easily flipped it over, its probably around 150-200lbs. We reinforced the area around the sink with 1/2" rebar, and it runs the length of the counter top. Then we floated in some 1/2" square mesh in the larger flat area. Were also leaving the wooden frame in until we get it onto the cabinets. I took as many precautions as i could, and i REALLY did not want 4 seams around the sink. gotta go, getting ready to pour in a few minutes.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-21 00:20:01 »
Why concrete?

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-07-21 00:46:23 »
Ima do that when I own a place instead of expensive ass marble lol.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-07-21 01:44:52 »
Why concrete?

helluva lot cheaper than any kind of natural stone, and a helluva lot more durable than wimpy old formica/laminate. Also, it's cheap when compared to any other option, with it costing less than $800 to do our entire kitchen. It also has the bonus that you can make it look like any other material with certian finishing techniques. Formica is very limited, and looks like cheap crap IMHO, and granite was WAYYYYY out of our price range ($2200). You'll see once we stain and seal it ;)

Side note, we just got done pouring the other 2 slabs. Wet sanding and finishing should be done by next wednesday, and hopefully in the kitchen by next weeekend.

lee

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-07-21 07:59:35 »
Dude thats going to be a mother not only lifting but keeping from cracking as you move it just cause of the length to thickness ratio. But then hopefully you got the right concrete for it. I'm not trying to downcast you or your project. Just giving you warnings from my experience making concrete benches. Should have split it into at least three sections to make it more manage-able. Otherwise looks like a good job.

Yes, it is heavy as hell but definitly not immobile. Me and a friend easily flipped it over, its probably around 150-200lbs. We reinforced the area around the sink with 1/2" rebar, and it runs the length of the counter top. Then we floated in some 1/2" square mesh in the larger flat area. Were also leaving the wooden frame in until we get it onto the cabinets. I took as many precautions as i could, and i REALLY did not want 4 seams around the sink. gotta go, getting ready to pour in a few minutes.

lee
Nevermind then you got a handle on it.  :-X