Author Topic: WEIRD FF8 ENDING?  (Read 61309 times)

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #75 on: 2001-04-20 02:33:00 »
Heh.  I see what you're saying.  Just a couple of points here:

We assume Ultimecia got Time Travel from Ellone from Odine's words.  Odine tells us he built the Ellone Machine after doing tests on Ellone.  It wasn't perfect in his time, but in the future (he says), it has been perfected and Ultimecia has gotten hold of it.  That's the thing you need to turn around.

The other point is... I disagree that FF8's story is boring, no matter which way you tell it.  It's poorly told, I can agree with that... but...

...the things I *LOVE* about FF8, are the way things all fit together.  Small example: Do you remember the movie Laguna made?  If Laguna had not made it, Seifer would never have had his romantic dream, or perhaps even be a gunblade expert.  And he wouldn't have been as easily led as he was by Ultimecia.

Irvine's reason for not shooting Edea, we later learn, isn't nervousness (although he probably had a good deal of that), but because he recognised Edea as Matron.

The radio interference encompassing the globe, if you read it carefully, contains a message Adel is continually transmitting to everyone... almost subliminally.

It's these small touches... how everything fits together... that makes FF8 for me.  Just because I believe that FF8's time travel theory seems to be based on fated past/fated future, doesn't mean it loses any magic for me.  (In fact, it's almost the reverse; I respect Square for doing this.  Instead of using any old time travel theory since 90% of people wouldn't understand it, they seem to have gone with something that works logically and can be explained... if you look deep enough)

FF8's flaw has never been its story.  It's always been in the way the story's portrayed.  Most people won't even see most of the details, and even then, it takes several logical leaps to be able to work out most of the hidden details.  That leaves the general public mystified... and thus they don't get as much enjoyment from the story as they should.  (FF8 also had a few game flaws, but they're avoidable... again, if you know what you're doing)

I don't think FF8 is boring... merely has bad presentation.  It should be interesting to see what you eventually come up with though, so I'll wait on that.

Have fun.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #76 on: 2001-04-20 08:14:00 »
Jeez....I never caught on to that...

About Laguna's movie and Seifer. I always thought it was the book that the library had. At least I think it was a book. I remember seeing something about it on that classroom console. It said something about, 'the following things have been checked into the library'; then there was a list of things and one of the titles was something about The Sorceress' Knight. And there were other titles about Peppen? or something to that effect. I never figured out what that Peppen thing was. I guess it's that Flying Saucer and the battle where you get his card. I haven't done that quest.

The first time I played FF8, I thought I would be able to read those books. I thought that Square would put it in as a side game or something....like the Mogg Cupo Nut Flying game that was in FF7's Wonder Square. I was also, so sure that there would be a minigame with Zell's hoverboard, but they never used, either in the game. FF8 could have been so much better.....

I never noticed Adel's message...I guess it the part where Squall and party were looking at that big screen TV? Next time I'll pay more attention to the garbled on the Big Screen.

I still enjoy playing FF8. And I understood Squall (most of the people who know me, would probably say I'm exactly like Squall. Luckly, for me, non of my friends are into computer games, or consoles, for that matter.) FF8 is just missing something that FF7 had. I guess, your right, the story arcs were just too small to follow.

I think I missed that part about Odine...really I probably just don't remember it. I'm currently playing the game. So maybe, I just hadn't gotten to that part yet....and if I did...guess I was half asleep when that dialog came up. I'm currently at the part where Selphie and Irvine take control of that Ship....which I can't remember the name of.

I'm not sure if I can find a away around that Odine Statement...other than that his assumption was wrong.....but that's way, too weak to fall back on. Maybe I'll just write a Fan Story about FF8, when I have time. I think I have enough material for one. I'll focus on Ultimecia's Time, and then join it to Squall's. It'll be just like the Fan Stories you see for FF7, but instead of being about the ending...it will be about the beginning.

You know...I remember seeing discusions on other forums, about how that ship was found, so easily, by Rinoa and Squall. It is assumed that it was floating in space for 17 years, with no one caring enough to go out and retreiving it. That Squall and Rinoa just happen to find it, in their moment of need. Well, I saw some thing in a FMV that may be that ship flying towards the Lunar Base. Next time you play the game, play close attention to the FMV that shows those capsoles, that Squall and company took, being retrieved. When the camara pans to the Space Station, you see a Red ship zooming towards it. The ship looks a lot like that ship the....Reanoke? (that can't be right...that' the name of that English Colony that mysteriously disappeared. I always have trouble remembering names. I'll probably remember the name after I sign off, I'm sure.) Anyway, you'll see something that looks like that ship. It very small and it's moving very fast, and it's moving away from the camera, so I'm not very certain that it is the ship.....it's red, anyway.

Of course then the monsters in the ship, and the instruction to kill them, don't make much sense. I guess, just keep your eyes open during that FMV and see if you see that red ship zooming towards the Space Station...and if you think that it may be Squall's ship....(I never noticed it until, now)

I forgot....Qhimm has an FMV viewer, for FF8, on the main page. Guess I can give that viewer a try (on Disk 3) and verify it for myself, it happens pretty quickly, in the game.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited April 20, 2001).]

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #77 on: 2001-04-20 09:55:00 »
Hey kids i just wanted to say this is beautiful this whole post. Seriously. I think its the most eloquent debate or whatever i have ever seen on the net. n e who.. when you get done with the ff8 fanfic let me know man i would love to read it.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #78 on: 2001-04-21 03:48:00 »
Will do....if I feel it's good enough, after I'm done (have no idea how long that will be though). I'll put it on my webpage, when It's done. I think I'm just going to write it as if it was a Journal, by Squall. I think that will be a lot easer to do than putting it in a real story format. Maybe later on, I'll write a real, fictional story on the subject, but I'm not ready for such a task, yet.

....I never wrote a story for fun, before. The only things I've ever written before were for Grades, or on Forums. I'm kinda curious if I can pull it off.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #79 on: 2001-04-22 10:27:00 »
Really stories arent hard.. it just takes creativity.. I would recommend here to everyone take advantage of creative writing courses if your school offers them, but writing has to be your deal.. I love to write but i havent written anything for hella ever and a day.. i need to though.. Writing is so sweet.. my dream job would be like writing game dialogue or a story line for a game to take or something of the sort.. but for now it looks like graphic arts it'll be.. or software design... whatever!

M0T

• View Profile
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #80 on: 2001-04-22 18:51:00 »
I used to be good at writing but i havent done it in ages, used to do it all the ime in the early years of school in english now we just do total rubbish

Joey

• View Profile
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #81 on: 2001-05-03 08:08:00 »
Writing isn't my cup of tea.

M0T

• View Profile
WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #82 on: 2001-05-03 19:38:00 »
Its hard, especially with established charecters as you have to make it seem to the reader that they would actually say that.
I mean you would have Tifa screaming 'You Wankers' at the enemy, its not how her charecters come accross in the game. Similarly you would  have squall telling everyone how much he loves them.

wildeyonetwo

Re: WEIRD FF8 ENDING?
« Reply #83 on: 2010-10-28 05:17:58 »
So... I know y'all are posting in 2001 and stuff.  But I just figured I'd give you a 2010 perspective... the game is definitely about fate.  Liberi Fatali.  Fated Children.  Uh-duh.  If in 9 years, you still feel a bit heated about that, I'll be here.  ;)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-10-28 05:27:08 »
I see two distinct possibilities:

1. You didn't read the rules. This happens pretty often.
2. You read the rules, but thought they didn't apply to you. Since you acknowledged your necropost, this seems likely.

Unfortunately, whichever is the case, it makes you look like an ass. And seriously, nine years? If you'd started a new thread, nobody would have complained about an unnecessary duplicate.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-10-28 05:51:05 »
I'm going with blatantly disregarding the rules.  I'm not on many other forums, but I have a feeling reviving a 9 year thread is frowned upon everywhere.   So now you don't get to post for a while.. mainly because I don't feel like cleaning up any messes you make.

Oh also, locked.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-10-28 13:03:12 »
9 years? That has to be some sort of record by a person (not a bot)