Author Topic: Classic games you would like to see remade.  (Read 22373 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Classic games you would like to see remade.
« on: 2011-01-03 19:18:25 »
I was reminiscing about all my favorite games(thanks to the world of emulators I have played nearly every game ever created prior to ps2 lol) and was wondering what sort of games you guys would wish to see remade.

As for me, comes a game as timeless as ff7 itself, albeit not nearly as popular.

The game in question is River City Ransom for NES. The game had Double Dragon DESTROYED in the amount of side-scrolling fighting available, You could throw weapons, use weapons, learn new moves, throw your PARTNER, etc etc etc.

It had rpg elements in the form of a large for its time stats system, which you could upgrade at various shops with money collected. You were even able to learn completely new abilities such as acrobatic flips, triple punches, triple kicks, etc.

All in all, even considering the very short story and playthrough, this game still offers me much enjoyment, especially when playing multiplayer.

Now I am aware that there was a japanese sequel that was named something slightly different, but they removed most of the RPG mechanics and moved more to a beat-em up. In my opinion, the sequel was a severe downgrade from the original.

If this game was recreated even with the original 8-bit graphics, and the story and game length was extended...I believe it would land on my list of top 10 games ever.

If you havent played it, get it and give it a shot.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Classic games you would like to see remade.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-03 20:11:06 »
Try the Scott Pilgrim game on PSN and XBLA, heavily influenced by RCR.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-03 20:16:54 »
base wars for the original NES. I still like playing that game sometimes, and how many times have you been called out in baseball and you just wanted to go toe to toe with the baseman who tagged you.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-03 20:29:46 »
like to see a remake of Bushido for the Playstation as long as they keep the gameplay

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-03 21:03:01 »
base wars for the original NES. I still like playing that game sometimes, and how many times have you been called out in baseball and you just wanted to go toe to toe with the baseman who tagged you.

You are my idol.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-03 22:02:24 »
I'm not one for remakes, but two games I think would benefit from a remake would be half-life and Duke Nukem 3D. HL already has a mod that may or may not come out soon, but Duke 3D was pretty advanced for it's time, so a remake is only natural considering the focus of the game on environmental interactivity. Of course DNF would count as that a little, but It's more or less a sequel. The original levels re-imagined would be pretty cool.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-03 22:05:22 »
I'm not one for remakes, but two games I think would benefit from a remake would be half-life and Duke Nukem 3D.

HL source may be vaporware for now, but duke3d has been redone...sorta...
http://www.eduke32.com/

the new engine looks stunning, though you need a decent rig to play it at max. If you d/l all the model and texture packs, it looks circa 2007 and it's still fun to play. I forgot how damned difficult it is though!

lee

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-03 22:25:59 »
Sonic 3&Knuckles, in HD, with remastered soundtracks. Too bad SEGA doesn't give a crap about the classics anymore.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-03 22:55:02 »
Duke3D is getting a fan made remake on the Unreal3 engine, and Gearbox(new Duke IP owner) have given their blessing.

Pyrozen, HL:Source was made by Valve and is just the HL1 resources converted to the Source Engine, you're probably thinking of Black Mesa: Source, apparently they were within a month of finishing a one point and then they delayed it again.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-04 06:36:13 »
I'm not one for remakes, but two games I think would benefit from a remake would be half-life and Duke Nukem 3D. HL already has a mod that may or may not come out soon...

http://blackmesasource.com/ Would this be the one you're referring to? Or is there another one out there somewhere that I haven't heard of?

Personally, I'd like to see the first 5 Crash Bandicoot games (1, 2, 3, CTR, and Wrath of Vortex) be remade with better graphics, (but in the original Naughty Dog style).
Also, maybe some proper remakes of Fallout 1 and 2, as well as a canon remake of tactics, but not with the Fallout 3 game engine. Something more along the lines of the Van Buren tech Demo.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-04 11:30:42 »
I would like to see a remade version of FFVII and FFVIII=)
And also Breath of Fire series)

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-04 12:00:04 »
- FF6
- FF7
- Chrono Trigger
- Shadow Run
- Resident Evil 1 & 2
- Silent Hill
- Comix Zone

There are another bunch of games i would probably like a remake, but so many years have passed that i lost track on many games i've played.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-04 12:16:51 »
Black Mesa: Source, apparently they were within a month of finishing a one point and then they delayed it again.

It's probably a good thing they did. The physics aren't cooperating in recreating all the original effects.

I'm also watching the Metroid 2 remake. It should be coming along about the same time as BM:S does.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-04 14:19:17 »
- Resident Evil 1

Remade and expanded version came out for the Gamecube years ago and got a Wii re-release not long ago as well.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-04 15:36:28 »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-01-04 16:16:19 »
Custer's Revenge, Beat 'em & Eat 'em, Bachelorette Party, Bachelor Party, Gigolo, Philly Flasher, Cathouse Blues, Knight on the Town and Jungle Fever.

They all need to be remade in glorious 1080p 3D.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-01-04 16:45:48 »
Legend of Dragoon for the PS1. One of my fave RPGs :D

Maybe a remake for Resident Evil 2 or 3, maybe like what they did with RE1 for GameCube

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-01-04 19:09:08 »
Try the Scott Pilgrim game on PSN and XBLA, heavily influenced by RCR.
Amazing game, one my favorite of the year.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-01-04 19:18:20 »
Having a 4 player digital download game and no online features is one of the reasons I haven't finished it yet, not a great game to play solo unfortunately.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-01-10 13:45:37 »
- Resident Evil 1

Remade and expanded version came out for the Gamecube years ago and got a Wii re-release not long ago as well.

Too bad i'm a playstation fanboy and even if i wasn't, i aint gonna buy gamecube/wii just to play Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 0, as much as i like them.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-01-10 15:40:31 »
Fanboyism is a joke my man, it's a pointless refusal to believe in another product or service with the fear it may be better.

Live a little, probably cost 40 bucks for a pre-owned 'Cube and both games.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: 2011-01-11 10:27:52 »
The original Diablo. With an extended storyline and the ability of infinite dungeons and level ups. Considering the tiny size ofthe first game, I think they could accomplish a seemingly endless game with relative ease. Curious to see Diablo 3. But still believe 1 is the best.

Masa-Buster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-01-11 16:48:31 »
The original Diablo. With an extended storyline and the ability of infinite dungeons and level ups. Considering the tiny size ofthe first game, I think they could accomplish a seemingly endless game with relative ease. Curious to see Diablo 3. But still believe 1 is the best.

I AGREE !!!! The game was too short for my tastes but still I play it today :D USEast ftw

Though I don't know if anybody mentioned this in this topic yet I haven't really read the whole thing, but i'd like to see Fallout 1 and 2 made in Fallout 3/New Vegas' Engine. That would be pretty cool, but still keeping how some of the stats and stuff from them. Keeping the Old Skills, Optional Traits, the Perk every 3/4 Levels, the same stat calculations, though I don't know how the Sequence stat would work but can always just remove that.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-01-11 17:48:47 »
A game like Roadwar 2000 or Rock'n Roll Racing.
Also Wastelands,the inspiration for Fallout.

Chocobo_Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-01-12 03:50:53 »
Too bad SEGA doesn't give a crap about the classics anymore.

That's not entirely true. They did make a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles that they released for WiiWare in 2010 (and it was actually pretty awesome). Seriously, 16 years later. :P And in all honesty I think that sonic belongs in the realm of 2d. I refuse to ever play a 3d sonic game. :C