Author Topic: Expanding FF7/FF8  (Read 17025 times)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Expanding FF7/FF8
« Reply #25 on: 2011-02-24 13:15:22 »

Enemy-only abilities would be redundant and worthless. Enemy-only abilities need to stay in the "enemy only action" index range of 100h - 3FFh. I THINK it can go higher than that, but I've yet to try.

Oddly enough with the Master Magic materia, it adds the two attacks between Shield and Choco/Mog as "accessible", but since they aren't in the menu you can't use them. There's only 54 spaces available in the menu and the magic menu table in the KERNEL.BIN ends with the two being placed in "magic limbo". The magic table is now confirmed to ignore the final two bytes (I just now decided to check this for the PC version :?: ). It stops looking at them at index 35h and then the loop "magic category assigning" loop will end.
Code: [Select]
for ( i = 0; i++; i < 36 )
{
   magicassign(magictable[i]);
}
Ergo, those attacks CANNOT be placed in the magic menu.

The best way to use those attacks is to link to them via the "use additional attack" effect like Blade Beam or Satan Slam does.
Wouldn't it be possible to hack it's value and allow the program to scan 3 more values? With a hook or disassembly.

Change 0x5DD84E (or 0x001DCC4E if you're using a hex editor) from 36h to 38h. Anything higher than 3Ch will cause a memory leak. That'll catch those last two bytes in the KERNEL.BIN's magic look-up table. I can't guarantee that that'll change anything though. That's just at first glance without testing anything. The magic menu's capacity is still 52 (34h), so unless someone's found out how to expand that that's what we're stuck with.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-02-24 15:13:19 »
I believe the weird enemy stats (those that the game doubles) apply only to Defense and Magic Defense. all the others appear to be normally calculated (the DEX 50 thing is a bonus to player, not a decrease of enemy stuff).

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-02-27 10:34:01 »
is there somewhere an excel table that lists sound effects and what they are used for? or I should make one with armorvil, if that is a common desire?

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-03-11 12:39:03 »
officially I hate writing essays. I'm having nightmares and really slow progress.

but I think that, having looked at the spell list, to make more room for some one could abolish the status/inflicting materia in favour of a "Pain" spell that zaps the enemy with many at once. the enemies instead could continue using the status spells. what do you think?

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #29 on: 2011-03-11 18:06:15 »
is there somewhere an excel table that lists sound effects and what they are used for? or I should make one with armorvil, if that is a common desire?
         Is this what you mean? http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11444.0

...to make more room for some one could abolish the status/inflicting materia in favour of a "Pain" spell that zaps the enemy with many at once. the enemies instead could continue using the status spells. what do you think?
         For the enemies to continue using the standard status spells, you would have to leave them in the attack list.  Basically, if you're removing Silence, Sleepel, Berserk, Confusion, Toad, and Mini and making a spell that inflicts all of these at once, you're removing the enemy's ability to use them as well.  Next time an enemy goes to cast Silence, it will call whatever attack you have placed in Silence's place. 

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-03-11 18:14:30 »
oh, ok. so one would have to modify the enemy attacks as well.

statuses could also be inflicted by attack spells. Lightning spells could inflict Paralysis, for example.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #31 on: 2011-03-11 18:19:00 »
Thats exactly what I'm doing in Revisited lol.  I just made it to the Attack list and am just planning ahead before I start chopping up the spells.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-03-11 19:31:09 »
makes sense after all. who'd want to waste a materia slot on silence?

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-03-22 09:47:19 »
small doubt: why some spells/enemy skills have ALL the statuses checked + the inflict/remove boxes in wallmarket? like Ultima, that we know to be a damage-dealing spell but not a status inflicting one.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-03-26 20:14:07 »
no one knows? or is it a bug?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-03-26 20:34:35 »
When all is checked, that means no status effect is tied to it.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-03-27 23:05:56 »
so in order NOT to assign a status to a new/edited attack it is needed to check everything in that box?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-03-27 23:11:57 »
Everything because if nothing the game may crash. In fact, there is a "hidden" box which is "Inflict Status" and is always checked. However, "Toggle Status" and "Remove Status" have priorities over that. The game will hang, because it will try to inflict a status, but there's no status, so it will create a Data Error Code 38 IIRC (the testing is very much boring; there is a way to make it shorter, but the time spent doing that isn't even worth trying :P )

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-03-31 08:38:06 »
so all damage-only spells/enemy skills usable by the player like fire or ultima (would it be needed for enemy-only attacks as well?) need to be configured this way.
if by any chance I want to, say, add paralyze to bolt, I should see how a status spell works and copy that, but with paralyze?

EDIT: in wallmarket there are 2 options to "ignore defense". if added to status effects, it means the attack will bypass even accessory resistance/enemy immunity?

EDIT2: is it possible to make "gravity" spells that do damage based on the target's MAXhp, rather than current hp? UPDATE: Full-cure appears to use a variation of the gravity formula, based on MHP (M=Max?) rather current HP. strength=magical strength, not actual strength I believe?
« Last Edit: 2011-04-26 17:12:30 by Dark_Ansem »