Author Topic: Not so sure I would like a Square remake of FF7, after all...  (Read 30930 times)

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
Have we been playing the same games? :o

Are you see Sephiroth how he is live from beginning of his childhood also you can playing by Sephiroth to end, like PSP Game Zack Fairy ?

StickySock

• View Profile
Are you see Sephiroth how he is live from beginning of his childhood also you can playing by Sephiroth to end, like PSP Game Zack Fairy ?
Wtf? I saw you post something with this name in it before and I resisted corrected but now I have to. It's Zack Fair, not Fairy.

Ya...even though i like some elements and characters in the newer FFs, it's not like i really appreciated them as a whole. Has anyone tried FF14?.....FF11 was alright but i just didn't get turned on by the videos of the FFonline game.....
I personally cannot stand online FF games being numbered entries into the series. They should be named FFOnline 1 & 2.

Sephiroth's mother was Lucrecia and she was no monster.  Jenova's cells were used to make Sephiroth a super human.  Jenova is an extraterrestrial who landed on earth (Calamity from the Sky)... she was not a monster, she was another species from another world.  Asking why she looked different would be like asking why a human looks like a human.

I still can't believe Vincent had a thing for Sephiroth's mom. In fact, Vincent was very close to becoming Sephiroth's father. But, instead it was Hojo, and even knowing that Vincent still had a thing for Lucrecia... Wouldn't you think having a kid with Hojo, let alone experimenting on the child, would be fucked up enough to ruin Lucrecia's image for Vincent?

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
i wrong thank you for corrected  :-X

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
It would have been Zax Fair but for the translation error... In my world, it is.

StickySock

• View Profile
It would have been Zax Fair but for the translation error... In my world, it is.
I like that better too, but if you would have told me the correct translation was fairy, i would definitely prefer the error.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
... was fairy, i would definitely prefer the error.

lol

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
what is funny for that ?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
what is funny for that ?

Well a "fairy" is something like tinkerbell

archerxtreme

• View Profile
Have we been playing the same games? :o

ditto to the question.

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
Well if you don't know that is not my important for me :D

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
Well if you don't know that is not my important for me :D

Not to be a dick, but can you learn to type proper English?

EditorMaster

• Hex Editor
    • View Profile
ok ok hold on i learn  as you wish

Livesey

• View Profile
^ Poor guy but so polite, I like him.

I have to say I haven't liked anything related to FF7 since the actual game, Loveless, the psp game with Zax, Dirge of Cerberus or the live action movie. None of them have captured that feeling I get from ff7, a particular pet hate for me is Kingdom hearts, I have no idea why but that one winged thing really annoys me.

Oh by the way... That is an awesome picture.

obesebear

• View Profile
Not to be a dick, but can you learn to type proper English?
Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
...or the live action movie.

Live action movie? O.o, do you mean Advent Children? That was computer animation....

Livesey

• View Profile
Yeah... That's what I meant my bad guys was half asleep while writing that. I really should double check what I write when I'm sleepy.  :D

Setosith

• View Profile
I'm very mixed on the subject. I'd LOVE a remake...provided they dont change things....which we've all seen CC....They WILL.
Theyve just changed so much about it...they'd probably add Genesis and more Zack seens and change dialouge to be PG appropriate....which is horrible...imagine barret saying things like "I'm gonna kick your butt!" ....now THATS gangsta.
I don't have any clue how they would go about making cloud dress as a woman, and somehow smuggle his buster sword and normal clothes into Don Corneo's with up to date graphics....back in 97 it was ok to do a little spin and vuala!....But I don't think that would fly very well with new graphics.
I was extremely excited to see a prequel comming out where you play as Zack. It filled me with joy....but when I played it I realised how different my image of zack was from square's. I pictured him to act more like Angeal...just without all the honor and dreams....I thought CC would revolve more around the Wutai war....but no we get to fight 4 wutai soldiers and thats somehow a war?....anyone see the full scale epic battle in dirge of cerberus? THATS a war....and it was just one battle.
CC should have focused more on the war...It should have been dark, morbid, and sad. Instead its like...."yay we're goin to war!!!" It's almost like Shinras just a big highschool >.>

There should have been tanks...corpses....Zack suppose to be a badass...not Sora with black hair. I mean come on! ITS SHINRA!!! This is the one game where they could've been as ruthless as they wanted...
And I know we're talking about a remake here and not CC...but these are my reasons for being scepticle. I've seen their trend....Squaresoft was awesome and origional...square enix is all about flashy bubbly anime graphics....I KNOW theyre gonna add and subtract and theyll definatley screw up the voice acting....

On the other hand I'd love to see FF7 as a hack and slash rather than turn based. If they did that....maybe hit R1 or R2 to switch characters? Thatd be awesome. But if it means creating a whole new generation of FF7 fans that arent really FF7 fans....then no...I'd rather just dream about it.
When an artist creates something it no longer belongs to them...it belongs to us...the world lol. And square doesn't give two shits about what the fans think. Thats why I love KOEI. :P
Squares kinda like the game version of Metallica....they use to be AWESOME....then they started sucking and sueing their fans XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Barrett never swore all the time in the original Japanese... that was added by the English localiser.  So expect a better translation to change him.  He was not meant to be a "gangsta".  They may tone Cid down too and other things but VII was never intended to be the way it ended up in English.

Setosith

• View Profile
I personally cannot stand online FF games being numbered entries into the series. They should be named FFOnline 1 & 2.

I AGREE

Barrett never swore all the time in the original Japanese... that was added by the English localiser.  So expect a better translation to change him.  He was not meant to be a "gangsta".  They may tone Cid down too and other things but VII was never intended to be the way it ended up in English.

True....still...I think you understand the fine points of my argument lol. Its GOING to get changed. And I'm not cool with that...not that they need my approval lol.

As for Barret being "gangsta" There arent many things in this world more gangster-stereotype than a big black guy with a machine gun strapped to his arm who also lives in the ghetto..and flips the bird to the man by blowing up parts of a city >.>.....IMO lol. Perhaps terrorist is a better word but I was referring to his personality...which..sure...probably different in japanese...I'm not worried about japanese voice acting though...they don't suck.....I'm worried about the cheesey english...it just doesnt feel real when they talk.

I'm mostly worried about story changers though. For example in CC it really bugged me when Genesis showed up in the Nibelheim reactor... and they made it seem like Genesis is responsible for Seph snapping. It bugs me enough as it is that theyd add two more one winged angels in a prequel....I mean I like them just fine...Angeals awesome. Genesis not so much...but Sephiroth was suppose to be one of a kind i thought.  I'm rambling now.

But those are the main reasons I'm against it. The only reasons I have for wanting a remake are...I wanna see the game in new graphics like everyone else...and I'd like to play it with a different battle system.  But thats pretty much it.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
DLPB I am going to try to say this without being offensive.

People played FFVII with the bad localization and grew to love it.  Why is it such a vexxing flaw then?  Personally, I cringe when I see text changes however "more accurate" they may be.  What if I was on some island and someone told me about Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches except they were made with Almond Butter.  I ate Almond Butter and Jelly sandwiches all my life and thought they were the greatest thing ever.  Then someone from the mainland came and said "that i wrong, you are suppose to eat Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches."  Should I enjoy Almond Butter and Jelly sandwiches any less?  Are they necessarily inferior to the intended sandwich?  Whatever laws exist in FFVII, millions of people played it as it was, and love it because of what it was.  Altering it 15 years later to be more faithful to the true intentions of the creators is not necessarily an improvement.  I know it is your opinion, so I'm glad you enjoy better translation.  But if Barret went around saying "Hi Ho the darrio" as a catchphrase and I played the game and loved it even though he was suppose to say "That giant pizza in the sky", most people would probably prefer him to say the incorrect, but initially meaningful phrase, than the after-the-fact accurate phrase.  You probably already know all this, but I figured I'd say something to get your thoughts.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone has the right to take someone elses work and mangle it.  There is a difference between making Barrett sound gruff and slangy... the way he should be, and taking it further and modelling him after B.A. Baracus.

The latter is clearly unprofessional and wrong.  It takes a writer's work and degrades it.  You may like Barrett to sound like a gangsta, but I think it is a dumb caricature which has butchered someone elses work.  The localisation that I and Luksy have made (and that any decent localiser would make) maintains barrett's aggressive and slangy character, without the need to make him a silly rip off of a famous black guy.  In fact I'd say 90% of the dialogue is v similar if not the same.

What you like, does not enter into it.  And nostalgia is not a good reason.  If we go down that route, we may as well keep every mistake.  People should break free of blind fanboyism and nostalgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

If I want B.A. Baracus I will watch this>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zgQGfBOnh8&t=02m22s
« Last Edit: 2012-06-07 05:13:52 by DLPB »

Setosith

• View Profile
Yes he was intended to sound gruff and slangy in the origional japanese. In america however, thats pretty damn casual so they had to up it a little....so we got the "gangsta" stereotype. I'm not saying he should still act gangster or that he shouldnt...i dont even care. I'm saying I don't want changed dialouge. And as for being a blind fanboy...>.> didn't I just give a giant speech about how much CC and DoC suck? And I know it doesnt matter what I think..Doesnt matter what anyone thinks square does what square wants..I was under the impression we were discussing our opinions on an ff7 remake though...which is why i happen to say "I would like" and "I would not like"..or is having an opinion forbidden here..?

Sesiyrus

Not exactly. Barret was considerably different in his dialect than the main cast. He may not have swore back and forth like he did in the English Dialogue, but he was most certainly a 'thug'-esque character.

Some of you may call it 'butchering' but imagine Barret speaking like any average American, was the 'different impression' given off in his dialogue in the Japanese version kept? No, it isn't. It was brought to that extent, I feel, to show the difference in Character through the society and the original translation had to be sacrificed for that. Barrets gruff and aggressive nature wouldn't have been much different from the average Americans perspective- His character archetype would have been lost. Now if a remake happened and it had the emphasis and power of voice acting to convey as such, it could have been toned down to an additional 'damn' here or there, but personally I feel they were only trying to show Barrets intense difference with the way he acted and spoke and not specially what he was saying, just the impression it would've given. These impressions and standards ARE different between countries.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-07 05:14:52 by Sesiyrus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
More people than just Americans play VII in English.  And Barrett is most certainly not a thug.  The reason barrett ended up the way he did was because 1 man decided it.   That was it...

Sesiyrus

More people than just Americans play VII in English.  And Barrett is most certainly not a thug.

I see you had nothing to counter my argument. *tips hat* I win, then, laddie.

Oh, he isn't? I believe I said, Thug-esque. If you want to be a nitpicker yourself, pick your words carefully there, aye?

He has a gun strapped to his arm
He grows up in a place that is stricken with poverty and problems
Said place is heavily associated with the crimes and evils with a corrupt government
He rages against the system with a rebel group and blows things up in a show of defiance to it

Ahem, you were saying?
« Last Edit: 2012-06-07 05:26:06 by Sesiyrus »