Author Topic: Lightning returns: Final Fantasy XIII  (Read 35899 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Lightning returns: Final Fantasy XIII
« on: 2012-08-14 11:52:06 »
Producer Yoshinori Kitase has revealed to Japanese magazine Famitsu that a new title in the Final Fantasy XIII series went into production and would be officially announced on September 1, when publisher Square Enix is set to hold an event to celebrate 25 years from the launch of the first title in the franchise.

The new game is known at the moment as the Lightning Saga, which means that it will focus on the character with the same name, although an official name will be revealed on September 1.

The game will probably use the main characters that gamers already know from the core XIII release and from its first sequel, while the mechanics stay firmly in the Japanese role-playing game genre.

The statement from Yoshinori Kitase is bad news for those who were hoping to hear news about Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which was recently rumored to be canceled and was then revealed to still be in development.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Square-Enix-Will-Announced-Lightning-Saga-on-September-1-284560.shtml

So it seems we may be getting FF13-3, or another game in that series. It'll probably involve Hope and Noel trying to restore the world again.

So Type 0 and vsXIII are no longer connected to FF13 then? :|

Also, as with the last one, I'm gonna have to ask that you don't clog this up with the usual Square is shit rants, FF13 sucks and so on. At least then we could have a decent discussion :)
« Last Edit: 2012-09-01 12:57:06 by ultima espio »

Antonia

• View Profile
Re: Lightning saga announcment - Sept 1st 2012
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-14 12:11:43 »
Quote from: Wiki
According to its developers, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is a completely independent game, with a different story, characters and visual design. Although using the same Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology as Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2, the game is not directly related to either of them.

I'd read similar bits elsewhere, which always sounded to me as if yeah, Type-0, VS (and whatever else we may end up getting) do share the mythology, but that's about as connected or related they ever were.

Now the Lightning Saga, that sounds like it may actually be slotted for a proper sequel (FF XIII-3) release, but we'll probably need to wait for more information to really know for sure.

While not bashing, as I actually DO enjoy XIII (hey, it's got pros and cons.. helps if you don't try to directly compare games from vastly different ages of the industry and just enjoy what it DOES offer), but I do have to say I'm not terribly shocked.  Regardless of the many things Squeenix has done *right*, one thing they've really been bugging me on is their trend towards more and more series milking.

On the other hand, and bear in mind this is purely wishful thinking and speculation, but considering all the various differences we've been seeing in each title and its spin-offs, they *may* be pushing limits and testing various combinations of systems and features to see just what they can actually pull off. 

The wishful thinking there being that IF (and yeah, it's a huge monstrous if) they ever did decide to cave in to the clamor and give us some proper, full HD remakes of some of the classics we love so much, they know very well they can *not* afford to drop the ball.  When you've got a title loved that much, there's really very little room for error before people start trying to burn your building down.  ;)

Either way, thanks for the head's up.  I  enjoyed XIII for what it was.. not so much for XIII-2 really, though in fairness I didn't really mess with it much before I set it aside for other things.  I'll have to revisit it later and see if maybe my initial reaction was just because I'd really expected something quite different.  I'll be watching this one though.  I like Lightning, so if they do up a decent game, I'll probably add it to my already massive FF library.

Cloud1000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-14 14:30:49 »
Squenix has finally learned. Why should they spend millions of dollars to make a new series and have to spend years on it. Instead they can use the same engine, re-use same textures and spend minimal effort and cost wise to just make a sequel and release one yearly. It's also great for us because we can now get a ff every year or so. 3rd time is the charm they say. FFXIII was ok, FFXIII-2 was better (content-wise). FFXIII-3 will be awesome one can only hope.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-22 21:15:33 »
Teaser website:
http://finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/index.html

"A new direction", wonder what that means...

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-22 23:57:31 »
I for one still think Square Enix is a decent company and have some hope for future entries. Everyone is incredibly negative nowadays, and just picks any reason to criticize something without looking at the good side. Both games were good, the second being better than the first. Nearly all of the bad decisions made in the design of the first game were corrected in the second, making it rather enjoyable.

I was slightly disappointed however that ANOTHER entry in the lightning saga is going to be announced before we get a new trailer for versus 13 (The last trailer for the ffvs13 was released at the same time ff13-2 was announced). FFVS13 has been the game i've been excited about this entire console generation, way more than I was for 13 or 13-2. When the Fabula Nova Crystallis (Spell check?) was announced I thought this meant that all three games were going to receive somewhat equal treatment, and all get released before anything else was to come out. Now, 7 or 8 years later, they are getting ready for 13-3 while type-0 hasn't seen NA or Europe, and Versus 13 only has one voiced trailer. I did get the platinum trophies for 13 and 13-2, and as much as I would like to see how the story ends I am getting sick of the neglect to the other entries in the compilation.

And to answer the rest of your questions, type-0 and versus have nothing to do with 13, at all. The only thing members of the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation have in common is the mythos (Etro is mentioned in the trailer for Versus 13 and has a prominent role in 13-2), but Type-0 doesn't even have that so it was renamed to reflect that fact. The whole naming thing was stupid in my opinion, but switching Agito 13 to Type-0 was a good move. Now only if they would do the same things with Versus 13 and FF14. FFVersus would make a good series of action rpg's, Type-0 would be good for a series of handheld games, FFOnline would be a good series for online FF's, and the Final Fantasy should be the title of main series single player console rpg's.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-23 02:09:09 »
Not another xiii... please... i guess it's like when it will be gone we will miss it... If the company doesn't go bankrupt by then I suppose the next big release will be something like the demo that was presented on E3 Agni's Philosophy

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-23 05:57:22 »
Square Enix: We have Become De-
Assistant: Sir, Sir, it's not Death!
*Assistant whispers in Square Enix ear*
*Square Enix clears their throat*
Square Enix: We have become Call of Duty! Or Madden. Or Resident Evil. Whatever comes your anually these days. Final Fantasy 13 hurray!

Crowd starts taking cyanide pills that were handed out by a kind soul at the entrance.

Datapack

• Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-23 06:07:43 »
Do people still the new FF games?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-23 06:21:44 »
Well, people certainly do not still their posts when posting.

PS: I'm sure you can figure out what I did there.

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-24 00:25:45 »
i wish they would move on from ff7 and ff13. except for maybe an actual remake of ff7 anything they do right now is just making everything wrose

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-24 02:03:16 »
Do people still the new FF games?

I'm doing them... still!  :o

@Lion I've been observing your Griever cross, I don't know why I was actually feeling weird about any different versions of griever. Maybe for the same reason DLPB rages about any realistic ff7 model or fanboys :P :P (correct me if I'm wrong DLPB :P )

Well as an owner of an original griever necklace and a real griever ring (not the lame one by Square's) you will allow me to express my opinion. But I still admit it looks so freaking cool and different as long as it is Squall's style :P :P
« Last Edit: 2012-08-24 02:13:05 by Leonhart7413 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-24 02:17:49 »
It's FF13, so I guess it's another FF title I'll be watching a playthrough on YouTube.

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-24 03:50:39 »
Hmm, unlike most ppl here, I actually enjoyed FF13 and 13-2 quite a lot and really hate that we didn't get Type 0 (yet at least)... Was really looking forward to it as well as it seemed pretty fun from the videos, even if it was just for PSP (HD re-release anyone?).

Sure 13 and 13-2, were no Final Fantasy 6, 7 or 8, story wise, (and it wasn't as utterly disgusting as FF9 story either), completely agree with everyone there! But it was still way above other RPGs I played before, and while the battle system was simple, it still allowed us strategize (in the end-game stuff) when beating the final boss with 5 stars or when I had to kill all the Cie'th Stone creatures with 5 stars aswell. I actually found 13-2 battles a bit duller even tho they were kind of more fun 'cause of the creatures, and faster as the menu didn't feel so stiff\slow during the battles.
The graphics and the videos were also superb, quite a few minutes of 1920x1080 awesomeness were included in that game to enjoy.

And honestly if people stop going on youtube of gamefaqs or whatever they go check, every time they reach a new monster they don't know, or at the damn 1st time they lose against it, and stop to think and strategize even a minute, they would enjoy the game much more or at least they'd feel there is quite a little bit more depth to it.
I mean, back in the days, every time me or my friends finished Final Fantasy 7 or 8, we'd exchange information about the new things we found like new Summons, areas or glitches on that playthrough, and that's what was truly fun about the game. If I could have (or chose to, which I didn't) just went on the web and have every single hidden detail spoiled to me in 15 minutes I don't think I'd love those game so much like I still do.
Now imagine finding all the monsters you can play with in 13-2 without a guide. :P

So XIII-3 would be nice IMO, but please SE, polish the damn think like XIII; 13-2 felt like a downgrade graphics wise.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-24 03:54:00 by InuRa »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-24 05:17:16 »
@InuRa

I actually find the story intriguing enough to continue until its conclusion. I did like the expense from 13-2 ending, and it will be the reason why I want to see 13-3. But only as a YouTube watch.

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-24 22:47:26 »
I'm doing them... still!  :o

@Lion I've been observing your Griever cross, I don't know why I was actually feeling weird about any different versions of griever. Maybe for the same reason DLPB rages about any realistic ff7 model or fanboys :P :P (correct me if I'm wrong DLPB :P )

Well as an owner of an original griever necklace and a real griever ring (not the lame one by Square's) you will allow me to express my opinion. But I still admit it looks so freaking cool and different as long as it is Squall's style :P :P

i like the original griever necklace as well. but to me it's always looked kinda..... cheap. though being a huge ff8 fan, i'm still really jealous that you have the original and not the dissidia version.

ultima espio

• View Profile
Re: Lightning returns: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #15 on: 2012-09-01 12:58:23 »
http://www.thegamingvault.com/2012/09/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-due-for-360ps3-in-2013/

After concurrently being revealed in both PAX Prime in Seattle and the 25th Anniversary of Final Fantasy event in Shibuya, the world now knows what a second sequel in the Final Fantasy XIII series of games is called.

Instead of calling it Final Fantasy XIII-3 (though for all intents and purposes it really is), the game has been given the moniker; Lightning Returns:  Final Fantasy XIII.  Wouldn’t ‘Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns’ sound better though?  Meh, what do I know?  Anyway, details concerning the title were also announced at the reveal which you can see after the jump.

Obviously, as the title implies, everybody’s favourite grumpy, bubblegum hair coloured heroine is back.

Yep, Lightning has returned and she is none to happy because when the game begins, she has just thirteen days to prevent the Doomsday Clock from ending the world.  So yeah, serious stuff.

The game is said to primarily take place on a group of four islands, currently known as Navus Partus, with access between these isles made possible through good ol’ fashioned monorail.  Visually, the islands are meant to deliver a myriad of designs inspired by both European cities as well as more fantastical and sci-fi inspired settings.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-09-01 15:50:33 »
Instead of Agito, Versus, and XIII we get XIII, XIII, and some more XIII for the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation lol.

But seriously 13 was okay, 13-2 was good, so hopefully the new game will follow the trend and be the best out of the three. Does anyone else think that it is not called XIII-3 because they may intend to make another entry in the saga? Only Square Enix could get away with a 13-2-2.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-09-01 16:27:45 »
Well it says that it's the last entry into it...so probably not :P

I don't think they've all been disconnected, Type 0 makes references to XIII, and they even mention Gran Pulse.

Valhalla in 13-2 was supposed to be set at 999AF, a time that was supposed to be/is mentioned in Type 0.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-09-01 20:04:35 »
Well it says that it's the last entry into it...so probably not :P
Yeah, I was mostly being a smart ass.  :)

I don't think they've all been disconnected, Type 0 makes references to XIII, and they even mention Gran Pulse.

Valhalla in 13-2 was supposed to be set at 999AF, a time that was supposed to be/is mentioned in Type 0.
Not that it matters very much but I thought they changed the name of Agito 13 to Type-0 because it had basically nothing in common with 13?

Also slightly off-topic, is this newest game being real time action give hope or cause for worry on the chances of Versus XIII actually being released?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 2012-09-01 21:40:48 »
Hated 13, didn't like 13-2, I have my doubts I will like 13-3

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-09-02 00:09:39 »
Hated 13, didn't like 13-2, I have my doubts I will like 13-3

Hated 13 and didn't buy it.  Ignore everything that comes out of Enix since. It shocks me to think that so many will go and buy 13-3, when it is clearly a cash in.

cirellio

• View Profile
    • Five Rings
« Reply #22 on: 2012-09-02 03:56:14 »
There's something missing these days in Final Fantasy ... something about the dialogue and writing that's hard to place a finger on. Almost like the characters are pretending to feel emotion instead of actually feeling it.
None-the-less, I did play all the way through 13 and enjoyed the hunts at the end and devising strategies to 5-star them. 14 is the first Final Fantasy I outright skipped, and 13-2 did feel like a cash-in, even though it had some upgrades that the original FF13 needed (such as open-endedness. towns, and the ability to revisit places), it felt like too little, too late. Or perhaps it felt like it needed to be DLC instead of its own disk. Anyway, I ended up getting the game free from a friend who didn't like it and I still haven't played through it. I won't be getting FF13-3 unless something similar happens, and I doubt I'll be playing it until I finish 13-2. Which may be never, but who knows?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-09-02 04:30:39 »
There's something missing these days in Final Fantasy ... something about the dialogue and writing that's hard to place a finger on. Almost like the characters are pretending to feel emotion instead of actually feeling it.
None-the-less, I did play all the way through 13 and enjoyed the hunts at the end and devising strategies to 5-star them. 14 is the first Final Fantasy I outright skipped, and 13-2 did feel like a cash-in, even though it had some upgrades that the original FF13 needed (such as open-endedness. towns, and the ability to revisit places), it felt like too little, too late. Or perhaps it felt like it needed to be DLC instead of its own disk. Anyway, I ended up getting the game free from a friend who didn't like it and I still haven't played through it. I won't be getting FF13-3 unless something similar happens, and I doubt I'll be playing it until I finish 13-2. Which may be never, but who knows?

You should play 13-2, just to witness the ending.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-09-02 12:15:46 »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

That's about all I can say.