Author Topic: [PC FF7 2012] Files that changed in the recent FF7 ReRelease  (Read 23706 times)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
List of files/archives that changed:

flevel.lgp:
Code: [Select]
ancnt1 - Fixes Vincent at the end of Disc1 (his leg is up when Aeris...)
ancnt4 - Fixes Vincent
blackbgb - End of Disc 1/Disc 2 changed to End of Part 1/Part 2 ("Please do not open the CD drive" is tossed since there are no CDs now)
frcyo - Names of greens changed: Gysahl vs Gizzard, Krakka vs Karaka, Pahsana vs Pasana, Curiel vs Kurie, Mimett vs Memit (possibly something more)
fr_e - unknown
fship_4 - Highwind flying instructions -> "[ASSIST] to move ahead" vs "[OK] to move ahead", "[ASSIST] toggle map" vs "[ASSIST] to strafe"
las0_8 - Split in The Northern Crater - fixing choices for "I'm going Left/Right" (original team sometimes used simple spaces instead of tabs/choices)
las2_1 - Same as obove, fixing choices for Up, Down, also, a little Easter Egg ;p
lastmap - unknown
uutai1 - unknown
The easter egg: Unused text "012345678901234" changed to "Secret Cow Level" (Diablo? Anyone?? No? Okay :( )

condor.lgp - textures
eunit00.tex - Removing Playstation symbols from the buttons, this one is most likely for the low-res, so unused
eunit00d.tex - Renaming buttons (the Playstation symbols vs B1,B2,B3,B4)

Also, the port team was called "dotemu", and is a 3rd party. The name of the new dll graphics driver is: new_dll_graphics_driver (duh! ;p)

Great job they've done.

Bosque

• View Profile
The 'secret cow level' thing is actually... used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHIbkv2QbBQ

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't used for anything now ;p

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
blackbgb - End of Disc 1/Disc 2 changed to End of Part 1/Part 2 ("Please do not open the CD drive" is tossed since there are no CDs now)

I think that is the map that crashes touphscript, so perhaps they fucked up there.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-17 16:09:00 by DLPB »

JBedford128

• View Profile
I didn't notice the Left/Right Up/Down thing. I'll share my other findings here.

fr_e -- In the "chance" group script (I didn't write down which one) they change an 8 frame wait to a 1 frame wait.
lastmap -- In script 3 of group "AD3", it now uses script 1 of group "disp".

Such minor changes. I haven't played either of these parts of the game so I haven't "noticed" a change. Still have no idea about uutai1, nor why the frcyo filesize is so different.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
did they fix some bugs? like the Magic Defense bug of the Wizard Bracelet?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog

If the exe didn't change, then no.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
If the exe didn't change, then no.
I wouldn't say that. Their driver latches onto the game the same way Aali's driver does, and he was able to fix the mdef bug without changing the exe. All you strictly need to do is have the fix somewhere else, such as somewhere in AF3DN.P, and have the driver patch it in at runtime.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The driver definitely supersedes (my favourite word of late) some of the original data.  Most of it is untouched though.  They did the bare minimum, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the defence bug still there.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
The lack of changes to the exe itself is pretty compelling evidence that no-one has the original source any more.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
How do you lose the source code to one of, if not the, greatest game of all time?  How can they be so lax and useless for such a big company.  The mind BOGGLES.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
cant remember where i read this but probably here.
final fantasy 7 was remade for ps3 years ago. its kept behind glass that says "break if bad **** happens"
im gonna say source code is behind this glass as well

dziugo

• View Profile
I didn't notice the Left/Right Up/Down thing. I'll share my other findings here.

fr_e -- In the "chance" group script (I didn't write down which one) they change an 8 frame wait to a 1 frame wait.
lastmap -- In script 3 of group "AD3", it now uses script 1 of group "disp".

Such minor changes. I haven't played either of these parts of the game so I haven't "noticed" a change. Still have no idea about uutai1, nor why the frcyo filesize is so different.
Hello and welcome to the board! Thank you very much for posting your findings.

They did fix that one for sure, and chocobo crash too. Probably many more.

I wouldn't say that. Their driver latches onto the game the same way Aali's driver does, and he was able to fix the mdef bug without changing the exe. All you strictly need to do is have the fix somewhere else, such as somewhere in AF3DN.P, and have the driver patch it in at runtime.
Seconded. It's patched on run.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Is there an easy way to work out which values it is patching at runtime?  Maybe they found out a few that we missed?

dziugo

• View Profile
Is there an easy way to work out which values it is patching at runtime?  Maybe they found out a few that we missed?
Dump the running exe and compare to the exe file. There are over 2k changed bytes - some of them are functions replaced, but some are single byte-tweaks. While fixing things (I'm using chocobo patch as an example), they NOP-ed not only the faulty instructions, but also surrounding ones, because they were not needed. A+ job, or they didn't want it to look like rip-off ;) You'd have to go one by one over the modifications to find unknown fixes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Can you get me the full list of changed addresses and values so I can check it out?  I don't have the exe or the ability to run the game anyway.   8)

dziugo

• View Profile
Can you get me the full list of changed addresses and values so I can check it out?  I don't have the exe or the ability to run the game anyway.   8)
Since it's already done: runtime patch changes. Counting minutes till you give up ;)

Edit:
File taken down, not to troll anyone anymore.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-21 07:06:58 by dziugo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
excellent.  Now can you do me one more thing?  Change those into 1.02 ff7.exe addresses also?  I have a good documentation here so I can at least get clsoe to where some of these are being used.

dziugo

• View Profile
excellent.  Now can you do me one more thing?  Change those into ff7.exe addresses also?  I have a good documentation here so I can at least get clsoe to where some of these are being used.
Info is in the file. It's a simple math.

Edit:
I'll copy it here for convenience:
For virtual addresses add 0x401000
For ff7_en.exe addresses add 0x1000

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
So it is. I will get on it.

edit: another thing. What is the point of them nopping the unused functions in chocobo races?  That won't do anything will it?  No speed up or anything?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-20 18:29:36 by DLPB »

dziugo

• View Profile
So it is. I will get on it.

edit: another thing. What is the point of them nopping the unused functions in chocobo races?  That won't do anything will it?  No speed up or anything?
It might speed up, yes, but not much (noone would notice). NOP is actually an "xchg eax, eax" command (exchanges values of the same registry, thus resulting in no changes), so it doesn't require memory access. The NOPed instructions did use memory access, so they were slower. The memory would already be in processor's cache though. Academic problem I guess.

Most likely it was just being safe - why introducing entropia when you can choose not to? ;p Jedwin's patch NOPed the instruction, but still saved *something* as a result - a value from the previous block. I've tried to establish what was missing there, why the address would be unaccessible now, and it most likely was a source-code comment made - leaving out the unneeded part, forgetting about this little fragment that still tried to access it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I am placing break points all over.  So far the ones I am seeing are related to some sort of input being nopped? Like at 0041F5DC
 in memory for 1.02 exe.

I will map as many of these in excel and upload to google soon.

edit:

0061F6D4 (1.02  0021EAD4) seems to be related to a value you changed.  This is changed in my 9999hp patcher and here in this list.
lots of 10 27 (10000) changed to 30 75 (12405) .  What is it doing?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-20 21:33:12 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
It seems the new driver has GYPT???  Is this an oversight from you Dziugo? or whoever uploaded this change log?
[also likely that the 9999 patch is here too in this list which it shouldnt be]

Starting memory address 006767D9 for example. until 00676833

If so I need a comparison with a clean 1.02 and from memory (without aalis driver) with new ff7.
That will narrow down precisely what "fixes" this new game has made.

edit

it also seems that this is a comparison between the exes?  I need the comparison with memory since all these values have gotten in the way....  I have tons of aali driver changes here which are injected at runtime and are not visible in 1.02 exe(unless they are in same place as aalis with new driver?)

edit 2:

I have dumped original 1.02 memory.  Now awaiting Covarr and to do ff7_en.

edit 3:

I have dumped the original 1.02 memory with the new ff7 memory, and compared the .text area.  There are 879 bytes of difference.  The reason your list is larger is because you compared memory with aali's driver active and your own code (like gypt) active.

edit 4:

253 of the 879 bytes I have checked so far are jumps to the new driver and pointers to new code in new exe.  I will post excel when I am ready :)

edit 5:

The following is WIP of new addresses and use in code.  I will do as much as I can.
It is already looking like working out what is fixed from this is not likely...
depends how it has all been implemented.  We will see.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJH_wU1qqN4dEFDeUtFMWtiZkF3WVB3OUZSd3dGdEE#gid=1

edit 6: Note.  They haven't used Qhimm's chocobo fix.  No.  They've used Aali's.  Aali's driver nops the same ones as this "new" game.  Other areas have also been blatantly stolen 1:1 or used to work out their own problems.  They have definitely looked at Aali's driver when making their own.  No doubt.  You only need to look at the changes in the database above and compare the memory to a 1.02 using aali's driver.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-21 03:35:44 by DLPB »

dziugo

• View Profile
It seems the new driver has GYPT???  Is this an oversight from you Dziugo? or whoever uploaded this change log?
[also likely that the 9999 patch is here too in this list which it shouldnt be]

Starting memory address 006767D9 for example. until 00676833
Oops ;) Yes, it contained most of the YAMP patches, sorry as it was not intended :evil:

If so I need a comparison with a clean 1.02 and from memory (without aalis driver) with new ff7.
That will narrow down precisely what "fixes" this new game has made.

edit

it also seems that this is a comparison between the exes?  I need the comparison with memory since all these values have gotten in the way....  I have tons of aali driver changes here which are injected at runtime and are not visible in 1.02 exe(unless they are in same place as aalis with new driver?)
It was a comparison between ff7_en.exe (the original one - dump was taken ?two days ago? when I haven't yet tried the YAMP patches) and the ff7_en.exe running with most of the YAMP patches applied. Like it was said before, it was supposed to be a list of the changes done at runtime - not a list of changes between 1.02 and 1.05/1.06.

edit 2:

I have dumped original 1.02 memory.  Now awaiting Covarr and to do ff7_en.

edit 3:

I have dumped the original 1.02 memory with the new ff7 memory, and compared the .text area.  There are 879 bytes of difference.  The reason your list is larger is because you compared memory with aali's driver active and your own code (like gypt) active.
You mean the updated Aali's driver for the new release? Yeah, of course I used that ;) Didn't use Aali's driver (ever), so there were only YAMP changes.

edit 4:

253 of the 879 bytes I have checked so far are jumps to the new driver and pointers to new code in new exe.  I will post excel when I am ready :)
Yeah, that's why I moved to other stuff when I started checking what've changed ;) 879 bytes changed still sounds like much.

edit 5:

The following is WIP of new addresses and use in code.  I will do as much as I can.
It is already looking like working out what is fixed from this is not likely...
depends how it has all been implemented.  We will see.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJH_wU1qqN4dEFDeUtFMWtiZkF3WVB3OUZSd3dGdEE#gid=1

edit 6: Note.  They haven't used Qhimm's chocobo fix.  No.  They've used Aali's.  Aali's driver nops the same ones as this "new" game.  Other areas have also been blatantly stolen 1:1 or used to work out their own problems.  They have definitely looked at Aali's driver when making their own.  No doubt.  You only need to look at the changes in the database above and compare the memory to a 1.02 using aali's driver.
If I were to make a chocobo fix, I'd have done it the same way (NOP the whole block), as that would be just common sense.

Other than that: OMG
And: Great job!

Edit:
Let's do some more digging before making any conclusions. Others are welcome to make their input too, I'll try not to troll anyone with fake changes from this point ;) (sorry again)
« Last Edit: 2012-08-21 07:05:07 by dziugo »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yeah, it could well be that they just ended at the same conclusions... but I am a little suspicious :P

I will carry on documenting the new exe today.  Can you tell me which addresses are to do with the mdef fix?