Author Topic: FFVII steam release  (Read 32920 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII steam release
« Reply #50 on: 2013-09-27 17:56:20 »
The aim was to make it accurate to the original. To that end, the PSX music is the best way to go.

PSX sound emulation is miles ahead of where it was even just two years ago, so that's not really a bad thing.

Changing the music doesn't require any registry changes. Weird. Are you sure they've been making changes?
The Steam Database (I think Valve changed the name when I wasn't looking, it totally used to be called Steam Registry) is unrelated to the Windows registry. It's an internal database of absolutely every product, bundle, DLC, etc on Steam. This page explains a bit more a bout how it works, but in short, it's often an easy way to see information on updates and sometimes even products that haven't been made public. It's also how I know they're working on a Steam version of Final Fantasy VIII, even though they've never so much as mentioned it.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-27 18:05:47 by The Great Covarrtsby »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2013-09-27 18:06:20 »
Not to mention inferior...  The quality of PSX simply isn't up to the standard of a professional OST release in this case.  And I am really shocked they would mess about using PSX emulation to achieve this result.  I suppose they couldn't get rights to using the music through official OST or... found it harder to do somehow.

I'm pretty sure it was the fan petition on Steam that caused them to make the changes, and the fan petition insisted that the original PSX music was the best. *shrugs*

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2013-09-27 18:08:51 »
The Steam Database (I think Valve changed the name when I wasn't looking, it totally used to be called Steam Registry) is unrelated to the Windows registry. It's an internal database of absolutely every product, bundle, DLC, etc on Steam. This page explains a bit more a bout how it works, but in short, it's often an easy way to see information on updates and sometimes even products that haven't been made public.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. My bad.

Re: FFVIII - They've spoken about it now :) http://kotaku.com/first-look-at-hi-res-final-fantasy-viii-for-pc-508161832

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2013-09-27 18:19:18 »
Re: FFVIII - They've spoken about it now :) http://kotaku.com/first-look-at-hi-res-final-fantasy-viii-for-pc-508161832
That only mentions a PC release, not specifically Steam (don't forget, for a whole year FF7 was only for sale on their own Store and not Steam), and it only mentions Japan. The SteamDB page shows languages: "english,german,french,italian,spanish,japanese" as well as is obviously specific to Steam. If nothing else, you can see update logs, so you know that they're actively working on it, and some details which may not have been made public.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2013-09-27 18:38:34 »
I'm pretty sure it was the fan petition on Steam that caused them to make the changes, and the fan petition insisted that the original PSX music was the best. *shrugs*

If they were comparing it with the official CD releases of the soundtrack, they are flat out wrong.  I doubt they were.  They are identical except the CD is higher quality.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2013-09-27 18:49:10 »
That only mentions a PC release, not specifically Steam (don't forget, for a whole year FF7 was only for sale on their own Store and not Steam), and it only mentions Japan. The SteamDB page shows languages: "english,german,french,italian,spanish,japanese" as well as is obviously specific to Steam. If nothing else, you can see update logs, so you know that they're actively working on it, and some details which may not have been made public.

Gotcha.

If they were comparing it with the official CD releases of the soundtrack, they are flat out wrong.  I doubt they were.  They are identical except the CD is higher quality.

I doubt they did a comparison. If you read the petition, I don't think they even mention the CD. They were just in a fervour that it wasn't the PSX music.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2013-10-03 17:37:29 »
$11.99 too much for you, especially when it's only $9.99 on PSN? You're in luck!

Final Fantasy VII is on sale on Steam this weekend. The game can be had for $5.99 (50% off!) until Monday, October 7 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Are Steam sales worldwide, or regional? I have no clue if this is a US sale, a North America sale, or an everywhere sale.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2013-10-03 21:02:42 »
I think they're worldwide, but that's just a blind guess.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2013-10-03 21:32:53 »
50% off in europe.
So we are on a close release of FF VIII, aren't we?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2013-10-03 21:40:42 »
Hard to say. Sometime while I was asleep, they either removed or hid FF8 from the Steam Database. I dunno if they've changed their minds about a Steam release, or if they just finally realized people were able to see stuff that wasn't meant to be seen yet and closed up the hole. Either way, it's harder to predict what they're up to now.

I just hope they don't release it on their own store as a year-long exclusive as they did with FF7.