Author Topic: [VIII] Opted stuff - Forgotten unused background + hidden collections  (Read 32084 times)

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
While thinking about VIII remake I tried to search for "the making of" to see some 3DS Max or some other 3D modelling software screens of map backgrounds to see if it's more 2D painting job, or real 3D render. After few minutes on google I found out, that Square DIDN'T made background by themself, but they passed the work to so called KUSANAGI Corp. (クサナギ), there I found many of their "showcase" works having at least 5 screens for every game they we're working on. From sketches, to never seen backgrounds. The most intriguing is:
http://www.kusanagi.co.jp/art/artgalleryfre-m/ff8/ff8.htm
the last one.

Chech more by going to:
http://www.kusanagi.co.jp/art.html
clicking on TVゲーム

There you can see sketches and renders that I totally didn't see. You can catch there sketches that you for sure wouldn't find in any "concept art" album. If it's well known, then sorry, but I really didn't see that anywhere. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 2016-01-16 16:56:01 by MaKiPL »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [VIII] Forgotten unused background
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-08 03:09:19 »
That's a pretty neat find; I didn't know Square had out-sourced their field screens.

And who knows, maybe these guys have a wee folder sitting somewhere with all the original FF backgrounds...

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-09 10:05:08 »
Thanks for pointing that out! Also here:

Kusanagi Studio Final Fantasy VIII Artwork Images

The have also created artwork for VII and IX:
Kusanagi Studio Artwork Images
« Last Edit: 2015-01-09 10:07:41 by LeonhartGR »

Mortael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-09 23:44:00 »
I wonder if there is an artist out there who could paint/draw Trabia Garden as a reconstruction, show us what it could have looked like when it thrived? :D

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-10 13:15:41 »
I remember finding a cg artists portfolio site showing off the work he'd done on a bunch of ff9 scenes.  Final scenes in high resolution. Alternate views concept art many work in progress shots. It was amazing...   Alas this was *years* ago and I doubt his page exists anymore Heh.

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-10 13:30:01 »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-10 14:20:17 »
Whoah, that's a really heavy full-of-content thread there! God, wish'd to see FFVIII's one.

alloy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-10 14:59:51 »
Too bad the internet was basically non-existent back when ff7 was made :|

Norwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-01-10 18:07:07 »
wow

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-13 18:22:35 »
I found some early shots of the game, maybe you are interested.

http://psxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/ff8jan18.jpg  (background is in game, but the car isn't used, translation would be nice)

http://psxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/ff8oct2610.jpg  (some kind of vehicle, interesting)

http://psxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/ff8oct264.jpg  (removed battle field)

http://psxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/ff8septone6.jpg (different camera angle)

Pics are from this website. http://goatee0092.tripod.com/ff8alpha/ff8pic.html
There's a lot of pictures, mostly from trial version.

If you have any pictures of the game in early stages or other unused/ probably unknown material I would be super happy, especially of 3d renders. I'm very fascinated of ff8 material but unfortunately there seems to be only low amount of material available. My only dream would be if Square-Enix showed more renders and materiasl from game as it seems like they putted really much effort in making all the backgrounds and CGI movies. Would be awesome to get a peek behind the scenes.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #10 on: 2015-01-13 22:11:53 »
yeyyy more more!

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-01-14 16:18:57 »
That was an awesome dig Halfer!
I think I've seen somwhere 3D Software (probably 3DS Max), showing in-edit Irvine presentation scene (that one from Galbadia Garden). Can't find it currently. Going back to these Alpha caps:
I'll describe every screencap from there. This is also awesome moment, to improve my hiragana writing/reading skills. For Kanji I'm using really functional KanjiTomo.

Legend:
There is name of image from the site Halfer posted. Under is this image attached, either my description or kana translation/ recognized characters. Also, the title containing INTERESTING! and having underline, are the pictures worth seeing as they may contain opted content or some bugs.

Cliff's edge:

キロス = Kiros

最悪な... = The worst (saiaku 最悪=さいあく=Worst, and 'na' at the end, don't know why)

Courtyard

Kiros
 おまえはいったいここで
何をしているのだ = Something like "What on earth are you doing (here)?" Or "What should you do here?"
[Looks easy ATM, only one kanji character 何.]

Hotel Detective

*Here appears some katana writings, that romaji stands for "Dzuya" that can sound like Julia, but I'm not sure, as it's connected with 'journalist' that is also in katakana.

ラグナ = Raguna/ Laguna

俺, 兵隊やめたらヅジャーナリストになりたいんだよ = "I want to be journalist (Dzu? Julia?), After I quit (beign) soldier"

Ice field

Laguna
なんで、こりや? - Why, Stiffness (?)
This was too much kanji for me.

Laguna in a field - INTERESTING

*This one is having that green truch in BG, probably to block testers/players from going up to main hall?

Kiros
世界を旅するジャーナリストに
なるんじゃなかったのか? = (Probably "Why didn't you become journalist to travel the world?")

Restaurant interior

Laguna
ひでえこと言うょな。 (??)
*too much kanji here, sorry*
« Last Edit: 2015-01-14 17:50:07 by MaKiPL »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-01-14 17:07:39 »
Rinoa CG
I've made it to get almost the same frame as the screencap from 2013 PC re-release FMV. That one from alpha is having a lady on the left with blue skirt, but it could be just bad screen quality, also Rinoa looks a bit 'fatty' on alpha.

Stage crew

モれならキミモ学(Kanji software gave up, sorry) But probably it's about joining something, as I can see from English translation, then this could be "”Then you should join the
 Garden Festival committee, too!“

Throne room

Nothing unusual.

Another spell

Fight with buel. This is from Dollet raid, but this location didn't include fighting with this monster.

Another town shot

Attack in progress - INTERESTING

As Halfer noticed, this battlefield was opted. This is fight with Grendels, and it looks like a place from Salt lake or something.

Awesome battle

Zell and Squall fight with Anacondaur, Buel (I can see the wing) and Mesmerize. This is starting animation of Blizzaga/Blizzara, as the monster is blue colored (as of Blizzara makes the enemy freeze for a sec). Also, is that Esthar? I can't recognize battlefield. This could be Esthat or Balamb underground.

Battle action unfolding

Battle with wendigo, crushing someone (from top - Squall (スコール), Zell (ゼル), Rinoa)
As you can see the menu is not suitable to position of characters in the battle. Normally, in the retail game, if Squall was first, then it should be the person from very right, here on alpha - Squall should be the one attacked by wendigo, but he is in center)

EDIT: Okay, look at the next screen to see something interesting

Battle on the streets - INTERESTING

You can see, that Squall is ready to fight (glowing, yellow mark above Squall's head). Also, take a look at ATB. Person with full ATB is ゼル. However, if you convert it to romaji, then you'll get "Zeru". Squall is above "Zell" on the list. So we FOUND the bug! It's almost the same exciting as FFXIII's "Blizzrad".
« Last Edit: 2015-01-14 17:51:00 by MaKiPL »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-01-14 17:39:35 »
Battle scene
This one contains Anacondaur and Mesmerize in Dollet. There is no way party could fight monsters like this here.

Boss shot

This time, it's finally normal ATB screen. Squall is ready, and squall is waiting for order, not zell.

Courtyard dialog

つ、ついにやるのか!(Phew, that was easy, only hiragana) - "Are (we) doing (this) finally? *What? Anyone remember something like that?

Omitted:
CG Shot - Nothing "Fun"
Casting fire - ENG version, rinoa in dollet fighting, demo contained Rinoa in dollet raid.
Clashing blades CG - Nothing "fun"
Comet shot - Either comet, or leviathan summon scene
Desert installation - Nothing "Fun"
Enemies - This one was really in-game, but there's rinoa, we already know, that Rinoa was previously used to be present in dollet raid.
Explosion - Same as Casting fire

Dialog selection - INTERESTING

This one contains unused dialog. Neither this was used in ENG and JPN release. Also, the rinoa is there.

Edea and Rinoa together - INTERESTING

Well... This scene is only visible during opening, but! That screencap is never seen in-game! It's unused CGI of Rinoa trying to give Edea ring, also this was all rendered in-game, and the only FMV playing after, was:
*Note that, when it's that opted CGI, Edea is having something "red" on her face, however in retail game, that scene was only when Edea was without that thing, and Rinoa was standing in front of the doors, not white hangings.

Renzokuken Zell's style - INTERESTING

This is really sweet one! Renzokuken style was once made something like Auron's limit break in FFX or just Zell's. Bar was going the other way, and you had to push select or start in correct time. Thank you Square, you changed it to actual nice renzokuken.

Item reward yes or no - INTERESTING

After winning battle, you had the option to either get the reward, or discard it. Fancy, huh?

Other card game background - INTERESTING

This one had a white hole in center. I feel empty looking at that hole. Nice move they changed it lol.

Prison - unused BG?

Unfortunately, it's screencap from FMV showing Squall cell going up. I checked it right now, it's actually disc01_00h.avi - 00:23
I'm just too lazy to upload this screencap. Sorry...
EDIT: Here it is:

Weird vehicle Halfer posted

Unfortunately, it's again screencap from FMV showing Squall cell going up. it's disc01_00h.avi - 00:25
Here:
« Last Edit: 2015-01-25 11:28:14 by MaKiPL »

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-01-15 13:10:58 »
Nice analysis!

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-01-21 02:24:47 »
More unused maps and interesting facts: https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_VIII

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-01-25 12:14:31 »
@UPDATED *reserved post

That's all. Also there're three renders of so called "Vessel" - an boat they used when raiding dollet.

Also, translation for this:

DAMN! It took me 30 minutes, to identify that second kanji. I almost gave up, but then just put this is google, and finally found that 言. Grrr...
Finally, this sentence is:

Probably: 要かったって言ってるだろ (See below, for more probably correct translation/reidentification)

As far as translators and dictionaries are helping me this is:

I need to say (here it's either openmainded, or bright or something else, but nice). If anyone here understand JPN more, then write, so I can edit posts. :)

Also, I found very similiar kanji to that first one, at it gives clearly better translation:

悪かったって言ってるだろ - I'm telling what went wrong / And this is probably it, as 悪かった joins perfectly as "was wrong",

EDIT:
Just was raping FFVIII demo with Deiling (thank you author, for this mighty tool!), but before that I just saw some .TIM files lying freely. My 2D/3D browser software succesfully read, and reexported it to JPG. The most interesting is ETUTO_07.TIM, this is:
« Last Edit: 2015-01-25 12:48:52 by MaKiPL »

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #17 on: 2015-01-25 14:05:54 »
I read it all! So interesting facts!

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-01-28 19:37:53 »
There is also a production error in the "Escape from Dollet" FMV. Rinoa and Zell are seen from X-ATM092's view with normal costumes. I don't know why there is this kind of error but I think it has something to do with the time Square had to make the game or maybe they let it slip through cracks in hopes of not been found because of low resolution.

Anyways here's a screen from frame where you can see Rinoa and Zell somehow:

Actually looks like there was some kind of post processing used for not rendering the whole scenes again.

In this pic you can see Rinoa's cape faintly behind Selphie's legs.

In this you can see Rinoa's capes shadow on ground.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-28 19:52:09 by Halfer »

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-01-29 17:09:41 »
Wow, Halfer, nice one. Looks like they just post-render deleted rinoa. Maybe too big cost or time deadline to render it again?

FFVIII PC (2000), on installation disk are locations having really big load of comments and developer leftovers.

Here:

rgcock1:
Code: [Select]
Event in development
No lift implemented
Match character with sound
Report only bugs for this scene

gpgmn1
Test
Electric shock

gpcell1
Motion, placement are temporary
gpexit1
In development
Character not in motion with movie
Please wait

gpexit2
Movie&event in development.
Test movie
{NewPage}
What to do in the parking lot
Go to the desert
Do not return to prison.  It crashes.

gpbigin3
We know that the sound
is not timed well.
No need to report it as a bug.

ebcont1
This is it for today's CD.
This is the end of DISC 3.

ebadele5
That's it for today's CD.
Thank you.

ebinhi1
Map is not connected.
Go to control room where Seifer is waiting.

bg2f_3
The students' reactions are currently
under construction.  Head for the library.

bgroom_5
          Under Preparation

[This area is under construction]

bgsido_8
Event in the works!!! Squall presses anything
gdsand3
After events,
go to Party setup menu.

fhfish1
”The master fisherman's motions
 are all temporary.  They're not connected.“

bdifrit1
Defeat Ifrit
Raise flag

gghall1
Cerberus Battle
sspod3
Thank you, all QA personnel.
That's all for today.
   *QA person is some type of tester, that doesn't test the technical details of game, but sees if story is okay and the whole quality is ok.

sspace3
x-{Var0}
y-{Var1}
*This is used for Rinoa space catch scene, to debug for "where is the rinoa!?"

rgair3
No motions are included.
They are floating.

tgcourt1
” 1  Replay
  2  Court 2
  3  Court 3
  4  Court 4“

gwpool2
karidesu
feirele1
For debugging
fehall1
Remove items for debugging

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-01-30 11:51:42 »
Where did you find these lines? Are they in the map files or in different location on installation disc?

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2015-01-30 12:04:43 »
Field.fs on installation disc.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-01-30 17:48:49 »
I've found unused scripts (field events) in some areas with Deling that are disabled by logic that's never true. I've never tried enabling them because they don't look like they do anything interesting. It's like someone commented out old code by putting mandatory jumps in it (which I also do to my old event scripts).

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-02-15 08:07:42 »
This is fairly interesting:

http://rinoa.nu/rinoa/words6.php

This tells about TV drama that has the same character personality, also numerous of events are the same as in VIII's. However, drama consist of 11 episodes, ~40 minutes long. Hard to catch screencaps of these moments.

Xinlus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-02-17 19:26:13 »
This is from the japanese version, the dialogues are similar to beta:

The green car is hidden in several fields of the old winhill. We can see it with a little edit:

Also, there is a field with the green car itself (this shot is taken from spanish version):

At last, I never seen this art before (or I don´t remember to see it.)

PD: In PC  there is a quality version of the background's field "ggroom1".

Normal:

HQ (the field name is "ggroom5":