Final Fantasy 7 > FF7 Tools

[PC] bin-gzip extractor / creator

(1/2) > >>

luksy:
NERV Agent apparently had issues with another bin-gzip tool, so I made a new one.

Usage is pretty straightforward: give the tool one argument and it will unpack the named file, give it more than one argument and it will create a new archive with the first argument, and add the remaining arguments as archive members.

The filename extensions must be kept as-is as they contain the id used in the archive headers.

Download contains source.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvfd5j9o9hw8r7j/bin-gzip.7z?dl=0

Lazy Bastard:
Awesome; I've grabbed a copy for posterity. Mind if I add it to the Downloads page of GameHacking.org ?

luksy:
Sure, no worries.

Lazy Bastard:
Done; thanks.

NERV Agent:
I realize its been like a whole year since the last post, but I noticed something with this program.

It works fine with the US version of "WINDOW.BIN". When the files are extracted, the following files are generated:

WINDOW.BIN-0.0
WINDOW.BIN-1.0
WINDOW.BIN-2.1

I wanted to see if I can edit the Japanese version. The Japanese version of "WINDOW.BIN" is 40,898 bytes. I used this version of bin-gzip to extract the files from this archive, and it generated this:

WINDOW.BIN-0.0
WINDOW.BIN-1.0
WINDOW.BIN-2.0
WINDOW.BIN-3.1

I made absolutely no edits to these files, and used bin-gzip to create another "WINDOW.BIN" using the untouched files above. The new "WINDOW.BIN" is 40,878 bytes, smaller than the original.

I have yet to see if this new smaller "WINDOW.BIN" still works, although I doubt it will.

UPDATE: I used CDmage to import this smaller "WINDOW.BIN" with unmodified files back into the game. CDmage padded out the extra space with 0s and...

...it still works. Weird....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version