Author Topic: Stuck with Windows 10. Impossible to downgrade to Windows 7.  (Read 4126 times)

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile

I recently bought this laptop:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S15UZ3741&cm_re=n857hk19SIA8S15UZ3741Product

I tried to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro by booting to a Windows 7 Pro disc inside of an external drive connected to the laptop.

The Windows 7 installation stalls with a red bar on top.

So I called Eluktronics Contact Phone Number. "Will" told me to disable UEFI boot from the BIOS. So I did just that.

Afterwards, I get a BSoD saying that the BIOS is not ACPI compliant. "Will" tells me that this means that "Windows 7 is not an option with this computer."

I need to use Windows 7 for "reasons". My reasons being:

Privacy. From what articles I've read online, Windows 10 is basically adware sending out user information to Microsoft servers and such. Yeah, I know I can dodge this by:

A.) Never going online.
B.) Installing Linux, but I don't have the time to learn a new OS (but I really should someday, srsly).

How would I go about preventing this breach of privacy from happening within Windows 10 (aside from never going online)?

Another reason I want to stick with Windows 7 is resource consumption.

A few years back I used Windows XP on a laptop, and it ran just fine. Then I used Windows Vista on that same laptop, and it slowed down to a crawl. Even my current Windows 7 computer from 2014 (that I am typing this message on) has slow speed issues compared to my Windows XP computer from 2007.

What settings should I adjust to make Windows 10 less ravenous?

Otherwise, I pretty much have a thousand dollar brick on a table that I'm not sure if I should just send back for a refund.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Assuming that you really cant have win 7 which i find... unlikely...

You could get this >

http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows10manager/product.html

I use it for win 7 and so on.  Usually sorts out some optimizations.  I disable windows defender, windows firewall, indexing service, for a kick off. And if you dont like the menu, then there is probably Classic Shell app for win 10 by now too.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
its most likely that you installed windows 7 in EFI mode and need to reinstall in "Legacy" bios mode.

-Ric-

• View Profile
That laptop also has a Kaby Lake CPU... I believe Microsoft and Intel are killing features/updates for anything below windows 10? I'd say just stick with 10.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Afterwards, I get a BSoD saying that the BIOS is not ACPI compliant. "Will" tells me that this means that "Windows 7 is not an option with this computer."

Don't EVER trust unsolicited "helpdesk numbers" from a website. Those are always scams.

Anyway, it's unlikely that the hardware in that laptop will have Win7 support. I ran into that with my latest machine update. I tried to do a copy of my old machine's hard drive and just stick it in. It loaded and booted, but the USB controllers have no support in Win7. Something about Microsoft purposefully not adding support for a certain controller chip way back in development in Win7 that my new MoBo uses. So I couldn't use my mouse/keyboard. Ended up upgrading to win 10 in my old machine THEN transferring the HDD to the new machine.
All that to say the system may not be compatible with Win7 due to hardware requirements.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
That's really shitty...

NERV Agent

• I sexually identify as a multipurpose synthetic humanoid decisive weapon Evangelion.
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
its most likely that you installed windows 7 in EFI mode and need to reinstall in "Legacy" bios mode.

I checked some YouTube videos and that option works for some computers like Dell and such.

But this computer has no such option in the BIOS.

Now if I could somehow make the BIOS ACPI compliant, I probably won't have to return this before the end of the month.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
that'd require some hardware mods and custom bios firmware. That would certainly violate any kind of warranty.