Author Topic: Need help @_@, flash and c++ expert needed.  (Read 2692 times)

vvalentine

• View Profile
Need help @_@, flash and c++ expert needed.
« on: 2003-01-10 13:12:50 »
Well, not really expert, but here is my problem.

My project team is doing a C++ program to sell concert tickets for an ATM type machine (except we wont deal with the hardware).  The problem is not the C++ coding, since we have it pretty much figured out.  The thing is, I want to use a Flash GUI for the program.  I want to know if there is any API or how to include an SWF file into the program.  I know how to use Flash, and know how to code in C++, but I'm ubersome stupid in going more than that. plz help, plz heal, 555

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2003-01-10 14:52:52 »
Well there are a number of things for you to consider here, let me shoot them at you (I hope you are wearing armor).

1: Flash requires software to run.. DOH. that's the little plugin that you get and it's stuffed where IE or NetScrap can find it (or Opera as in my case).
2: It may need to run under a web browser though I doubt it.  It runs as an OLE object from what I can tell. I suggest your application create a window that an OLE object can used and let the flash DLL do it's thing.  
3: Flash isn't a GUI, it's a packaged format for storing data that's run by a fancy DLL.  That's about the some of it. :)
4: You will need to know the plugin details for the version of the flash player you use OR if you can find a stand alone version of the flash server and use that.
5: Licensing, you may need to find out the details of licensing to use flash for your application.
6: Interface, assuming you are using something PC centric for your 'ATM' you need a 'mouse' or 'keyboard' for flash to work interactively.  Customized keyboards aren't hard to obtain (no you don't need to buy a PC keyboard and rip it apart either).  The mouse can be a driver for a touch screen, not a big deal there either.

Have fun and remember that using other peoples software may be fast, but it's also complicated :)

Cyb

vvalentine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-01-10 17:41:05 »
Sweet, I was kinda thinking that it may be too much for the time period that we have for the project, but I'll give it a try anyways.  I know flash isn't a GUI, I meant it as to say instead of using the usual MFC I'd use flash to make the buttons and stuff.  Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try this weekend.  If there anyone that could give more tips about it, it would be appreciated.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-01-10 19:42:07 »
Well .. might be.. you have to have it interact with your application.  It might be simpler to just build your application with all the components you need and interactive components on it already.

I'm not sure of the details of your project, however if it's a ticket Thing.. tickets are limited in terms of time era and you need to change things often on such a machine. There was a supertickets ATM in a BANK I use to go to, it gave concert football etc stuff.  I think they used a CD with 'CONTENT' for that week on it and switched the DISK each week.  Using flash might work fine, one just needs to have it work with the application you are making to generate tickets register purchase information do credit card transactions etc. All has to be done securely.  I know most people DO NOT use MFC to develope secure things. Delphi seems popular and Borland C++ with SSI components is popular as well.  Even if it uses a modem to dial up and 'purchase' the tickets, it still has to be quite secure.

Cyb