Author Topic: 3dsmax 5 crashes when importing .3ds file  (Read 3025 times)

help

3dsmax 5 crashes when importing .3ds file
« on: 2003-02-28 16:29:58 »
Im using both versions of biturn to export clouds model, when i try to import the .3ds into 3ds max the prog crashes. Ive tried importing lightwave files and no crashes occur, but the import plugin doesnt read the material colors and such.

Ive tried checking the 3ds files with deep exploration and they work there.
(no crashing), i think that 3ds max crashes because of the excesive amount to materials used by the model. Around 700!, how the hell?. for such a simple model? why so many? anyways, I think is a bug!. But im not sure. has this hapened to anyone else? am is it just a isolated incident what happening here. My copy of max is NOT WAREZ Its legit. SO im stumped.

Mofokubik

• View Profile
milkshape...i guess
« Reply #1 on: 2003-02-28 20:32:10 »
Im having that same problem, but there is a way to get past that...
one of the ways i did it, was export to 3ds, then use milkshape to import the 3ds file, then save as a diff format that 3dsmax can read, and then you can edit it with 3dmax....

anyone else have a better idea that works?

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
3dsmax 5 crashes when importing .3ds file
« Reply #2 on: 2003-03-03 12:00:27 »
Ye i've seen this problem, its because 3ds can't handle more than 512 colors ( or was it 256 ? ). I thought i fixed the problem, but i see that i haven't uploaded most recent version of it ... here try THIS newer alpha version is in the archive, it should work.

i think that 3ds max crashes because of the excesive amount to materials used by the model. Around 700!, how the hell?. for such a simple model?

Its because they used so many materials. Or maybe because they used vertex materials, which i can not save to 3ds (untill i figure out 3ds MAX format), so i had to recreate materials.