Author Topic: That Old Skool sound!  (Read 5787 times)

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
That Old Skool sound!
« on: 2003-08-28 01:16:18 »
Remember back to a time when MIDI was just FM Modulation provided by Adlib cards?
I know my Live can play that kinda music since it does for dos games...anyway to get it to do that in windows 98?

Mofokubik

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-28 02:24:18 »
In dos, I thought it was just setting midi as generalmidi in 220, so long ago....cant.....remember.....

TomT64

• View Profile
    • http://www.tomt64.com/
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-29 08:44:49 »
As far as I understand, MIDI is all interpreted by the wavetable on your sound card, unless you use a software synthesizer like Yamaha XG or the old Crescendo thing people used to promote on websites with music.  But if you want to get it to sound a certain way, it may be possible to use a software synthesizer with the proper soundfonts.  You can force Windows to use these in the Control Panel.

Not sure if that helped  :-?

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-30 00:33:52 »
live has a dos emulation mode for old dos programs/games, depending on the configuration within these programs you can still get reasonable wavetable midi (ive done it with super street fighter 2 turbo, a bitch to run with midi emulation in real dos mode).
best bet is to use the soft synthesis provided by MS and with the Live card, or get a software midi driver?
or just buy one they must cost like 5 quid these days

Mofokubik

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-30 01:15:33 »
From the other posts, im not sure if you want FM or Wavetable. Right now I can only get Wavetable to work in doom, and I can only get FM to work in descent.

Smurgen

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-30 08:57:58 »
I mean in windows in general..like one of the midi output choices
Classic old skool FM suckage lol

Goku7

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #6 on: 2003-09-03 01:00:45 »
Alright, IIRC, in the early versions of the Soundfont loading interface (read: SBAWE32/64 control panel), you had a button that let you pick which card's synth the control panel would control, assuming you had more than one AWE-type synth in there (example: AWE32+WaveBlaster daughterboard?); however, the button was still there even if you had only one card.

....ANYWAY, there should be an equivalent button for the Live!/Audigy's "AudioHQ" program, somewhere.  Click that, and then you should have a box where you can select the card.  At that point (assuming it works exactly like that of the one used by the AWE control panel), there should be a checkbox that says "Allow Wavetable Synthesis Only"....deselect that.

With me so far?  Good.  Now, here's the easy part.  Go to the Start Menu, and open Control Panel, and open the "Multimedia" applet (or whatever its named in versions of windows that are later than Win98SE), and go to the MIDI tab (or equivalent dropdown box, IIRC), and select "Creative Stereo Music Synthesizer"....and you're done!

Now, whenever you try to play a MIDI file, it SHOULD use the card's FM synth chip to do it.

Smurgen

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #7 on: 2003-09-03 06:06:45 »
Hmm...i can't find those settings... Ya don't suppose someone made a FM soundfont do ya? ^_^;;

Goku7

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #8 on: 2003-09-03 23:52:31 »
Ask and ye shall recieve.....

I believe that one was once mentioned in the VGMusic.com forums....lemme check....

Bingo.

Here's yer Linkage! :P

Mofokubik

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #9 on: 2003-09-04 00:20:20 »
Cool, i wanna check that out later because i couldnt find one when i searched for it. Any other interesting midi related crap you wanna share?

Smurgen

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-04 03:27:11 »
Aww Yea! Thanks tons! These Wolfenstien 3d MIDIS sound a lot closer to how i remember them
Same with DooM

Goku7

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-05 02:37:40 »
Quote from: Mofokubik
Cool, i wanna check that out later because i couldnt find one when i searched for it. Any other interesting midi related crap you wanna share?

At this moment, only this MIDI (made by Tony Thai) of the intro to F-Zero GX.....that takes full use of XG and its Variation Effect....and it involves guitars (especially the solo that starts at roughly 1:25)....and some bits and pieces of techno.

I forget if you have an XG SoftSynth installed...but those of you who do should find this...."interesting". :wicked:

-edit-
Leave it to me to mess up the opening URL tag.... :P

Smurgen

• View Profile
That Old Skool sound!
« Reply #12 on: 2004-01-01 21:08:13 »
I hate to revive an old topic...but i found something quite interesting

http://adplug.sourceforge.net/

It supposedly plays music in the old OPL2 style (Dos Midi!)

It sounds GREAT but i can't get it to play standard midi files. Anyone can figure out this one for me?