Author Topic: Final Fantasy Midis  (Read 8921 times)

Bluetank

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« on: 2003-12-14 16:17:24 »
i think this site contains all the midis for FF7 to FF11

http://midi.yagr.com/index.php?console=psx

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-14 17:50:18 »
Fan-made MIDIs isn't exactly Tech-related material... moved to General.

Bluetank

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-14 21:59:51 »
oops sorry... i didn't know where to post it... i just thought that this may help in some sound fonts... so i posted it on tech...

Dominic

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #3 on: 2004-01-15 17:31:11 »
I dont want the midi's...i bought the Final Fantasy 7 Soundtrack.
 4 cd's, but its worth 50 dollars

Bluetank

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #4 on: 2004-01-16 17:15:16 »
i have the mp3's for Final Fantasy VII and VIII(not sure whether for Final Fantasy VIII is midi or mp3 but Final Fantasy VII's are mp3s) on this computer..

i need a server to upload it though if people wants it.. (is it consider illegal?)

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #5 on: 2004-01-16 17:29:40 »
Quote from: Bluetank
i have the mp3's for Final Fantasy VII and VIII(not sure whether for Final Fantasy VIII is midi or mp3 but Final Fantasy VII's are mp3s) on this computer..

i need a server to upload it though if people wants it.. (is it consider illegal?)

Yes thats *cough* illegal and not allowed on this board.. I commend you for your generosity, but POSTING *cough* of thing of this nature break copyright laws, and is forbidden on this board..

^_^

DeadLajik

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #6 on: 2004-01-16 21:16:57 »
Illegal where?

Illegal in the United States sure..   however in China...

j/k

Anyways, if people want the MP3's they can find them easily with a few searches and maybe a certian type of software.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #7 on: 2004-01-16 22:17:41 »
Illegal here, end of discussion.

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #8 on: 2004-01-17 01:55:33 »
Good thing MIDIs arent illegal..i would be scared if they ever did make them illegal

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #9 on: 2004-01-17 10:08:36 »
Quote from: Smurgen
Good thing MIDIs arent illegal..i would be scared if they ever did make them illegal

Well, no, not all midis are illegal... ;)  But if you mean, "is posting FF midis illegal", technically it almost certainly is; if you don't have permission from the copyright holder, probably Squeenix now.

Of course, the difference is that they don't care if people post pictures or midis from the games - unlike MP3s, it's not like they sell CDs with that sort of thing on, and it adds to their popularity.

Sephiroth2000

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #10 on: 2004-01-17 20:03:35 »
Quote from: Smurgen

I'd go over to parliment and commit a "Guy Fawkes"  :P

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Hmmm...
« Reply #11 on: 2004-01-17 20:03:42 »
Hi!

I think that it's only illegal to host or download these files if you don't own the actual game. If you own the game, then I'm pretty sure that you can download these freely as long as you provide a message saying that you must own the game.  :D

xeriouxi.

Sephiroth2000

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #12 on: 2004-01-17 20:04:50 »
It's the same with downloading roms...though i don't see how people would listen to the disclaimer.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Yeah...
« Reply #13 on: 2004-01-17 20:08:08 »
Hi!

I agree with you. The disclaimer is just a load of text that basically says:

I'm hosting these for free and there's nothing you can do about it because this is a disclaimer! So THERE!  :D

xeriouxi.

Sephiroth2000

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #14 on: 2004-01-17 20:09:22 »
lol  :D

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #15 on: 2004-01-17 20:45:22 »
if i remember correctly
psf contains the game exe as well as the code for the corresponding music,
i think spc is simply code dumped.
fair to say any disassembly/reverse enginerring of code (needless to say dumping of code during an illegal emulation of the host system) that is copyrighted or intellectual property and then dirstribution of it i would think is illegal as a process, but owning digital copy of code for a game you rightly own can count as safe, i think

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #16 on: 2004-01-18 00:12:18 »
Quote from: xeriouxi

I think that it's only illegal to host or download these files if you don't own the actual game. If you own the game, then I'm pretty sure that you can download these freely as long as you provide a message saying that you must own the game.  

Well, if you were to own the game downloading the files would probably be safe. In the case of some of the games (FF7/8, of course, which have PC versions) you get midi's on your CDs. Skillster's probably right: PSF and SPC files are more-or-less dumps from the game: if you own a license to the game data (i.e. you've bought the game) then it's probably legal to own copies of the data; the fact that somebody else dumped them may not matter ... or then again, it might; copyright laws do vary from country to country.

Hosting files like that is virtually always illegal, disclaimer or no disclaimer. A disclaimer may look good, but what it boils down to is that you're distributing material somebody else has copyrighted, without their permission.

The only way you could get around it would be if you verified that the person owned the game before letting them download it - then you might be able to claim that you were only giving the data to people who were authorised to own it. But because you're distributing it, it's your responsibility to check it, you can't just whack a disclaimer on the page. Otherwise hosting warezed games would be legal! "You can only download this game if you already bought a copy..."

Of course, the important thing is that the companies intentionally turn a blind eye towards some things that are technically illegal; midi and graphics certainly fall into this group. Basically, anything that hurts their sales, even only a bit, you're going to be hearing from their lawyers. Distributing midi's doesn't fall into this category ;)   Distributing MP3s does, because they're usually rips from the music CDs they sell.

Shytor

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #17 on: 2004-03-15 07:45:51 »
Actually, If you wanna talk rights...

All reproductions of copyrighted music is subject to its protection under copyright law...

The music included with the game is protected under what a re considered Grand rights and are only licensed to be used with the game. So having the game doesn't allow you to download music midi, mp3 or otherwise.

Also, the music is protected under applicable international copyright laws so it doesn't really matter where you are when you download them. Only where you are when they try to arrest you.

Since its an intellectual right you need permission to use the music in anyway other than what the license you pay for by purchasing the CD's or the game itself.

Although ficedula has a good point...the companies aren't really gonna care cause it wouldn't be worth sending a swarm of lawyers out to hunt every person down who downloads a midi file.

I speak up as a composer and member of BMI...check them out or ASCAP if you're curious about copyright law

sfx1999

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #18 on: 2004-03-15 16:43:57 »
Shytor: This thread is 2 months old.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #19 on: 2004-03-16 05:08:39 »
but reviving old threads is the cool thing to do

Shytor

Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #20 on: 2004-03-16 07:50:30 »
I'm new therefore its all new to me.

Just tryin to be informative... :erm:

DeadLajik

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #21 on: 2004-03-16 16:29:30 »
Shytor, your post has informed me.

Thank you.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #22 on: 2004-03-16 18:19:59 »
Quote from: Lieron
but reviving old threads is the cool thing to do

No its not.. ~_^ but it is decent when you have something like that that is actually informative to add to the conversation.

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #23 on: 2004-03-16 21:38:05 »
Wouldn't a MIDI be ok though since most of them are re-done by people playing by ear?
Its not the same song technically (i'm not counting the PC game rips of course)

sfx1999

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Midis
« Reply #24 on: 2004-03-17 03:56:34 »
It could be possibly be illegal, but I don't think VGMusic has ever gotten sued.